Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleeping with lights on doesn't scare ghosts

Brian Topp

New York. A research paper published in the reputed “Ghost World” magazine has shattered the common misconception among human beings that sleeping with lights on after watching a horror movie stops ghosts, especially those starring in the movie, from attacking them.

Albert Pinto, the paranormal scientist who has written this research paper, reached to the shocking conclusion after observing around 30 ghosts from different parts of the world.

http://www.fakingnew...-away-research/

Skeptic POV: Granted it is well written article, they forgot one minor detail...... which is documenting actually ghost events and not lies, stories and mixed up by accounts of Sleep Paralysis and Hypnagogia.

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 6

This is one point of contention i have with 'going dark' for the ghost shows. Ghost are so powerless a light bulb stops them? Ghost cant verbalize unless it dark? WTF, i'm suppossed to believe spirits from another dimension are rendered powerless by a flashlight? :w00t:

• Like 4

Albert Pinto, the paranormal scientist

WHO?

• Like 7

I'm pretty sure leaving the lights on has more to do with us wanting to see into dark corners of the room because every creak of the floorboard is freaking us out compliments of the scary movie. For myself, I always have a lamp on - not for fear but because if I wake up in darkness I can't see where I'm putting my feet if I get out of bed and my eyes do not adjust easily or readily enough to improve the situation any time soon, add to that the fact I am clumsy as all heck and midnight bathroom treks can be either very entertaining or very bruising depending on your perspective.

• Like 6

I have lived with Ghosts several times in my life. There are many ways to deal with them depending on the energy. One common mistake is smudging. Don't smudge! It might just p*** them off!

WHO?

Perhaps related to 'Mr. Bean?' (I know--cheap shot).

Edited by DeWitz
  • Like 1

I sure do love "Ghost facts". Forget that there is no solid evidence for their existence, WE KNOW that they're unaffected by light! :rofl:

• Like 1

Well of course lights don't scare ghosts, that's ridiculous.

The light is to comfort the human. It's less scary waking up to a noise and having a light on and able to see, versus having the light off and not being able to see.

I'm pretty sure leaving the lights on has more to do with us wanting to see into dark corners of the room because every creak of the floorboard is freaking us out compliments of the scary movie. For myself, I always have a lamp on - not for fear but because if I wake up in darkness I can't see where I'm putting my feet if I get out of bed and my eyes do not adjust easily or readily enough to improve the situation any time soon, add to that the fact I am clumsy as all heck and midnight bathroom treks can be either very entertaining or very bruising depending on your perspective.

I agree with you totally, I need my bedroom dark but when I need a midnight trek I have night lights on in the hall and bathroom. I have broken many a toe stumbling in the dark and that really hurts. I do believe in some sort of aura after death but I don't think they are here to harm us or scare the life out of us...

• Like 2

The best way to scare them off is to have a video camera running all the time. All the ghost stuff they do will immediately stop.

They're scared they'll be exposed on a lousy cable television show.

• Like 5

There's also the belief that Ghosts cannot pass over running water, and is warded off by Salt.

LOL!

• Like 3

I think this helps the person but the ghost will still come light on or not lol.

This is one point of contention i have with 'going dark' for the ghost shows. Ghost are so powerless a light bulb stops them? Ghost cant verbalize unless it dark? WTF, i'm suppossed to believe spirits from another dimension are rendered powerless by a flashlight? :w00t:

I've often wondered that myself plus they always ghost hunt in the middle of the night,surely if a place is haunted by a ghost it would be just as active in the day if not more so.Unless when they were alive they never slept and instead walked about all night,opening doors.

I don't suppose the glut of ghost hunting programmes would be as interesting in daylight without the close up night vision shots of peoples faces asking "did you hear that?"

Edited by dr no
  • Like 2

I've often wondered that myself plus they always ghost hunt in the middle of the night,surely if a place is haunted by a ghost it would be just as active in the day if not more so.Unless when they were alive they never slept and instead walked about all night,opening doors.

I don't suppose the glut of ghost hunting programmes would be as interesting in daylight without the close up night vision shots of peoples faces asking "did you hear that?"

You hear the rats mice owls ghosts walking about better at night and houses only creek after hours because the ghosts cold presence makes the hinges dry up.

• Like 3

I find myself agreeing with Dr. No and jamesjr191.

The idea that a powerful supernatural spirit - able to move across time, space, death, and dimensional barriers - would be dissuaded by light is frankly risible.

No.. you have to put your head under the pillow. THAT gets them every time.

It also works against monsters.

• Like 6

Smudge? :huh:

Yeah. Smudging is where you take a bundle of sage, lemongrass and other herbs then light it until it ignite well then blow it out. Supposedly the smoke acts like a "energy" purifier.

Still..I fail to see how smoke will offend a ghost. That's like saying that air freshener offended and ticks off real people.

Edited by Ryu

WHO?

Albert Pinto.

Ya' know... the guy who... does those things...?

Oh, those things he does, too numerous to name just one.

• Like 1

Some people report there is more ghost "activity" at night in these areas, you know the time period when a person feels more vulnerable and is more sensitive to anything that might be unusual.

• Like 2

Some people report there is more ghost "activity" at night in these areas, you know the time period when a person feels more vulnerable and is more sensitive to anything that might be unusual.

I suppose night is unusual to many, as they often sleep through it.

• Like 1

i had slept through paranormal activity... i woke up when the sequel was playing on my tv though.

• Like 7

Skeptic POV: Granted it is well written article, they forgot one minor detail...... which is documenting actually ghost events and not lies, stories and mixed up by accounts of Sleep Paralysis and Hypnagogia.

that research is not good for movie producers ...how are they supposed to film another ghost movie from now on? :passifier::unsure2:^_^
  • Like 1

Yeah. Smudging is where you take a bundle of sage, lemongrass and other herbs then light it until it ignite well then blow it out. Supposedly the smoke acts like a "energy" purifier.

Still..I fail to see how smoke will offend a ghost. That's like saying that air freshener offended and ticks off real people.

I have almost been asphyxiated with the amount of air freshener that some people use.