Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mary Rogers Mysterious Murder

jandersen233

"For more than two weeks she lay on her deathbed, sometimes incoherent and sometimes shouting that the ghost of a young woman floated near her bed (Mary's ghost was also rumored to have visited former employer John Anderson in his final years). In her last moments, according to various newspapers, Ross confessed that Mary Rogers and a young "dark and tall" doctor arrived at her inn on that fatal Sunday and an abortion was performed, from which Mary died of complications. Her body was "taken at night by the son of Loss and sunk in the river where it would be found. Mary's clothes were first ... sunk in a pond on the land of (a neighbor); but it was afterwards thought that they were not safe there, and they were accordingly taken and scattered through the woods as they were found."

The Source of this article.

There are many speculations and theories about this mysterious murder including Mary Rogers' Fiance as the "suspect." I think I have read quiet a lot about these theories but I cannot find a theory where bruises in neck and battered head was caused by dragging the body from the house to the shore. Why? I think it's viable. I'm supporting the above statement because I think that the cause of the bruises found on the body was caused by dragging it by only one person. If you think about it, basically if you're gonna drag a dead person the easiest way to pull it off is by holding his feet and drag the body. The bruise on her neck can be from rearranging the dead body while holding the neck. Any thoughts?

I know that some of the authorities think of this theory as valid. But then this is 1841 and theories just keep arising while technology is not enough to identify if these theories are right or wrong.

Also, please bear with my english explanation I know it's terrible.

Edited by jandersen233
  • Like 1

Your English is fine. Don't apologise. It's an interesting case. Myself, I believe Mary died as the result of an abortion.

However, I enjoy reading the theories that Edgar Allen Poe was the murderer and then wrote about his crime!

Edited by Antilles
  • Like 1

The descriptions of the body showed it was a murder.

I suspect the fiance.

Here's another telling of the story.

http://drvitelli.typ...ogers-case.html

I'm reading it now.

Your English is fine. Don't apologise. It's an interesting case. Myself, I believe Mary died as the result of an abortion.

However, I enjoy reading the theories that Edgar Allen Poe was the murderer and then wrote about his crime!

Same here. I always thought Edgar Allan Poe's theory is fasciniting.

I get the feeling this is the work of the fiancé or he at least knew something. Something caused him to feel incredible guilt that drive him to suicide.

There is something I don't understand about the story. In human psychology the knowledge of having a third party can lessen the sorrow for the death of his fiancee' otherwise, so I don't know why he can't cope up with his fiancee's death and just accept it as a karma. Furthermore, I also don't understand why he would commit suicide in the murder scene and not Mary Roger's tomb? If he dear Mary Roger's so much wouldn't he want to die near her tomb?I think this is also a fact to be considered.

Edited by jandersen233

Furthermore, I also don't understand why he would commit suicide in the murder scene and not Mary Roger's tomb? If he dear Mary Roger's so much wouldn't he want to die near her tomb?I think this is also a fact to be considered.

That is interesting to consider!

"For more than two weeks she lay on her deathbed, sometimes incoherent and sometimes shouting that the ghost of a young woman floated near her bed (Mary's ghost was also rumored to have visited former employer John Anderson in his final years). In her last moments, according to various newspapers, Ross confessed that Mary Rogers and a young "dark and tall" doctor arrived at her inn on that fatal Sunday and an abortion was performed, from which Mary died of complications. Her body was "taken at night by the son of Loss and sunk in the river where it would be found. Mary's clothes were first ... sunk in a pond on the land of (a neighbor); but it was afterwards thought that they were not safe there, and they were accordingly taken and scattered through the woods as they were found."

The Source of this article.

There are many speculations and theories about this mysterious murder including Mary Rogers' Fiance as the "suspect." I think I have read quiet a lot about these theories but I cannot find a theory where bruises in neck and battered head was caused by dragging the body from the house to the shore. Why? I think it's viable. I'm supporting the above statement because I think that the cause of the bruises found on the body was caused by dragging it by only one person. If you think about it, basically if you're gonna drag a dead person the easiest way to pull it off is by holding his feet and drag the body. The bruise on her neck can be from rearranging the dead body while holding the neck. Any thoughts?

I know that some of the authorities think of this theory as valid. But then this is 1841 and theories just keep arising while technology is not enough to identify if these theories are right or wrong.

Also, please bear with my english explanation I know it's terrible.

There is one problem with your theory - bruising doesn't occur to corpses because the blood is no longer flowing through the veins ....