Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is it possible to become "open" later in life

Amariel

I wasn't 100% sure where to post this question, so hopefully this is the right spot!

I just have a question regarding whether you can become more "sensitive" or "open" as you get older? I have always been a believer in the paranormal - I've even had a couple of experiences - but I wouldn't describe myself as being a sensitive or medium or anything like that. My boyfriend and I bought our first home together almost a year ago; some of the experiences that I've had there have led me to believe that maybe I have become more "sensitive" with age, as they are very different to anything I have experienced before.

The woman we bought our house from was an elderly widow and I believe that her deceased husband is still there. I have heard disembodied voices on 3 occasions in the last 10 months - 2 of those times my name was called and the other was like agreeable noises (hmm, mhmm, mmm) - and I thought our cat brushed against my leg 2 weeks ago only to discover he was shut in another room of the house, unable to get out. Things have gone missing only to turn up days or weeks later in random places - the most recent example of this was an earring (I knew I was wearing both when I left the house that morning but hours later realised that one was missing; I got upset, thinking I'd lost it when I went out, only to find it underneath my pillow the following day, sat right in the middle of the mattress).

What I have not been able to explain, however, is that I get the sense that there is a man standing in our lounge room, next to the doorway leading into our kitchen. I regularly walk into the lounge room from the kitchen only to startle and put my hands up like I'm about to walk into someone coming around the corner. I have even said "oh, sorry!" - but there is never anyone there. I can even see this man (like, inside my mind) - he's tall and wearing a checked shirt. My boyfriend has seen me startle, but it has never happened to him and he says that he can't see anyone there. It doesn't happen every time I walk through the doorway either - it could happen 4 or 5 times in a single day and then not happen for a week.

Could my acceptance of the paranormal have caused me to become more open as I get older?

I've learned that anything can happen at any time.

• Like 2

Could my acceptance of the paranormal have caused me to become more open as I get older?

Yep..

Accepting the possibility is IMO a foot in the door, or acknowledging it.. But to open the door and walk on though it takes more than acceptance.

• Like 2

Interesting read, and yes i suspect the the more open you are to the idea, the more experiences you can have.

• Like 2

beware the old adage of gazing into the abyss-

for the abyss also gazes back....

• Like 4

beware the old adage of gazing into the abyss-

for the abyss also gazes back....

Now your just freaking me out.. :unsure2:

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys!

It was just a thought that occurred to me when talking to my sister about the weird stuff going on in our house (the only person who will actually listen to me). She said that sensing the presence of a spirit or whatever rather than actually seeing them sounds like I'm a sensitive and it just got me thinking. I've never felt threatened or scared or anything; if the previous owner's husband is here, I don't think he means us any harm and is probably just looking out for his house (which he built) or is unable to follow his wife to her nursing home.

Professor T - what does it take to walk through the door (in your opinion)?

if its his house that he built that must mean he's lived there for a long time and if your sensing him. He must still have emotional ties to his house and to the physical as he hasn't left yet.

• 2 weeks later...

The house is only 21 years old - the elderly woman and her husband built it in 1993, after their kids had all grown up and left home, because their home was much too large for just the two of them (or so the elderly woman told me on the one occasion I met her). I'm not sure how long her husband lived here before he passed away, but I got the impression that he had been gone for a few years when he bought the house. But yes, I do agree that he probably would have emotional ties to the house, as I think he and his wife put a lot into it. I hope he is able to move on at some point though.

Nothing to worry about, we all change and outer world changes as well. You should also consider that when you think you feel some presence, it could be the moment when someone, for example, looks at your picture and thinks of you. Then this "touch" can make an impression that someone looks at you from some direction.