Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Game within a Game? Virtual Reality...

Professor T

Hi Ya'll,

With Virtual Reality (VR) Virtually here, we're about to experience forms of reality that challenge perceptions..

This Clip is a really good example of the kind of Games we're about to experience.. If you can call it gaming, because VR is placing the gamer in the game and essentially twisting & challenging your perceptions..

[media=]

[/media]

For the benefit of those with low bandwidth, The Video shows someone playing a Video Game in a Virtual reality environment.. Essentially a game within a Game.. And Horror game at that.. A game within a game created the illusion that the game was on a Virtual TV set, but the reality of the game was that the Player was Inside the middle of the game.. The Player is isolated, playing a game, but inside a game.. The illusion is a 360 degree reality, and the players focus is on a game on a TV inside the game.. When playing the game inside the game there is no way the player can reaffirm physical reality, and the virtual reality is accepted as true.. It's scary stuff when you think about it. Language get's a bit fresh, but the poster gives a good glimpse and rundown of what the game does to his consciousness.

The way I figure it, this new Medium, Virtual Reality, is going to seriously challenge, peoples perceptions.. it's going to do a lot of damage, and a lot of the video clips and reviews I've watched lately all seem to point to the same conclusion.. That people are going to get addicted to this.. And as is typical of humanity, we're going to abuse it. Which is a shame really, because personally I can't wait, and I'm going to order a set myself.. Personally I think it has the potential to enhance Dreams and Consciousness.. But it's probably going to do as much harm as it does good..

Anyway.. I posted for thoughts...

What do ya'll think about Virtual Reality?

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 2

Is it lame of me to get exited about this because of sword art online? :)

But seriously though, virtual reality games are something that I've dreamed of for so damn long. As they are right now, they're nowhere near of what I always imagined, but I have high hopes for a VR game system like they are portrayed in sword art online.

Do I think it would be addictive, or if it would be abused?

Yes, but so are games today already:

• Addictive? hell yeah,
  • Abusive? well there's this thing called DLC...

• Like 1

• Abusive? well there's this thing called DLC...

Yeah, I can't wait for it either.. I want to buy the Dev Kit version, but have been told that by the time I get it (2 months) the commercial version will be available..

Anyhow.. What's DLC?

Best way to get a headache, play such games for few minutes :D

Best way to get a headache, play such games for few minutes :D

That problem has been solved by low latency..

That problem has been solved by low latency..

Yeah, i was reading about it before too but i don't know, even playing some new FPS game with all those shiny effects on normal screen - makes my head hurt after short time. This thing tricks your mind and it makes you feel strange. I remember when i first got chance to see trough big military binoculars, it was strange feeling at first until i got used to it.

Yeah, I can't wait for it either.. I want to buy the Dev Kit version, but have been told that by the time I get it (2 months) the commercial version will be available..

Anyhow.. What's DLC?

Stands for downloadable content.
  • Like 1

Sheesh now you can have games where creatures actually crawl out of the game. A new dimension to gameing. Personally I'd rather the zombies stay in the dam television.

• Like 1

I have been dreaming of this day

• Like 1

Anyhow.. What's DLC?

Like Rlyeh already said, downloadable content, but I'd like to add, that DLC are usually extensions to a game. They add to the story (short prequels, sequels or sidestories that are relevant to the main story) or they can be bonus items. The thing is that many game companies release a game for let's say 69,99€ and then months later they add stuff to the game by adding a couple or levels or so, and you can experience this new part of the game for something like 19,99€. In many cases this feels like they sell an unfinished game for price X and then you can buy the rest for the price of Y.

This is what I meant by the abusing :)

• Like 2

Thanks..

Yeah that's one way of abusing gamers that already exists. But What I mean by abusing is probably at a different level.. People are going to get addicted to this.. This IMO will open up entirely new and crazy forms of abuse by developers and gamers. I can't quite get my head around the whole concept of Virtual reality yet, but I imagine that we're going to see Virtual reality creating havoc with culture and society as we know it. IMO it's a technological thing.. You see it today with friends and co-workers in the cafe's texting each other and face booking every thought they have.. Technology has become their 4 inch window to supplement socializing and communicating.

But with Virtual reality the window surrounds them, and instead of socializing and communicating though technology their entire reality can be supplemented for them.. Anything becomes possible, anything... and before you know it, the supplemented reality is more important than the one we live eat and breathe in, and peoples priorities start to revolve around their virtual life, and not the one that matters most.. Don't get me wrong.. I can't wait for this technology because there is a bright side as well as a dark side.

• Like 1

Thanks..

Yeah that's one way of abusing gamers that already exists. But What I mean by abusing is probably at a different level.. People are going to get addicted to this.. This IMO will open up entirely new and crazy forms of abuse by developers and gamers. I can't quite get my head around the whole concept of Virtual reality yet, but I imagine that we're going to see Virtual reality creating havoc with culture and society as we know it. IMO it's a technological thing.. You see it today with friends and co-workers in the cafe's texting each other and face booking every thought they have.. Technology has become their 4 inch window to supplement socializing and communicating.

But with Virtual reality the window surrounds them, and instead of socializing and communicating though technology their entire reality can be supplemented for them.. Anything becomes possible, anything... and before you know it, the supplemented reality is more important than the one we live eat and breathe in, and peoples priorities start to revolve around their virtual life, and not the one that matters most.. Don't get me wrong.. I can't wait for this technology because there is a bright side as well as a dark side.

Unfortunately in that kind of society this is what happens when something goes wrong. Hehehe :)

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 2

Lol, That won't be me.. (just finished ordering it)

But I can see that as one possible downside..

I do think though that a possible upside of this technology is that it will challenge peoples perceptions of reality.. Gamers chasing a fright or adrenalin rush will begin to seriously think about consciousness.... hmmm, what I mean is, it will provoke people to deconstruct their own consciousness, Analise it, understand it better.. I can't imagine what it's going to do to peoples dream-life..

I wish I had time to watch all these interesting videos...

:(

I'm thinking of moving to some river somewhere near mountains and come in on occasions for wifi, but I haven't really gotten "the game" figured out yet. ;-) lol

Lol, That won't be me.. (just finished ordering it)

But I can see that as one possible downside..

I do think though that a possible upside of this technology is that it will challenge peoples perceptions of reality.. Gamers chasing a fright or adrenalin rush will begin to seriously think about consciousness.... hmmm, what I mean is, it will provoke people to deconstruct their own consciousness, Analise it, understand it better.. I can't imagine what it's going to do to peoples dream-life..

It will have other applications as well like EMDR therapy, but some how I think therapists will reject the idea.