Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lost Abilities

Anwyne87

Hi, I am really not sure if this is the right place for this topic, however I am curious as to the losing of ones "abilities".

As strange as it may sound, during my formative years I had some personal experiences with the psychic and incorporeal world. Not really understanding any of what was happening, I spent most of my time completely oblivious to things happening around me, I guess most of the time I put things down to me being in my own little world and my imagination. However, there were times where I had no choice to sit up and take notice.

Without going into too much detail, I have had the following things occur over my younger years to around 20 years (rarely now);

strong feelings growing up of belonging to another place and era, de ja vu, astral travel, visited by the shadowman, seen and heard what is not there, numerous flashes of future events which have come to pass (a couple of which I could have done without), a visit by a departed friend etc

There are only a handful of people that know of my previous "abilities", including my husband, who were a little sceptical at first, but certain things have them more open minded.

Realising what I know now, I wish I had the guidance to enhance these events, but instead they have diminished overtime. I kind of feel at a loss.

I have tried to regain these "abilities" with little success, and I am thinking it may be because I am too focused on getting them back or because I can't "zone out" as deeply as could as a child or if pain medication for chronic migraine dulls these "abilities".

On rare occasions I still get a taste of these, but never when I try, always out of the blue.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Why would this happen?

Is it possible to regain these skills?

My apologies if this is not the right place to ask

Thank you

:)

I thought I had abilities once. Turns out it's called hyper awareness caused by my OCD. I'll notice everything around me, becoming hyper vigilant or very in tune with everything. Which I think leads to my empathic like ability to read people. So I want to give a casual warning not to assume you have a "psychic gift" before you exhaust all mundane explanations. Also welcome to UM.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply XenoFish :)

I have looked at various reasonings, they can be used to possibly explain some events, but not others.

My "premonitions" for example happened a few years before the events, but were specific to the people involved, so less likely to be explained away.

The warnings I would get, I would tend to put those down to gut reactions to something or someplace.

My friends know me to be a very logical, down-to-earth sort, who is very interested in how the mind works, so I am quite wary of using the term psychic, so tend to use the words "abilities", "skills" or "events" to describe situations.

Still, always fascinated in all things unexplained etc :)

You alluded to the fact you suffer from chronic migraines, right? (sounds very unpleasant, by the way) Perhaps these so-called "abilities" were really misinterpreted symptoms.

Also, as you grew up and matured, it is more likely that your focus shifted onto things that were more important/pressing and the issue of "abilities" was no longer something that needed any attention.

Just a thought.

• Like 2

Hi Ryu

I have thought about the fact that it may have something to do with getting older, as on very rare occasions I still get a flashes of events yet to come.

My migraines did not occur until I was in my late 20's, before that I never suffered with them :)

On rare occasions I still get a taste of these, but never when I try, always out of the blue.

Why would this happen?

Thank you

Hi,

Your experience with this is actually not that uncommon. What we do not exercise will dissapate over time. You can regain those skills and add to them if you put in the effort for that.

We all have an inner wisdom which I would call our higher self. If you can do reflective meditations where you can imagine a conversation in your mind with this aspect yourself, you can receive the guidance which will work best for you.

Your intuition is always active. Allow it to present you with the encouragement you require.

John

• Like 1

It's pretty normal actually. We have erased the cultural context for people like you. Some say good riddence, but in truth it's part of the human condition and has been for many thousands of years only in the last few hundred has it changed dramatically.

As a child in a hunter gatherer society your perceptions would have been embraced, cultivated, and nurtured. Instead you now you are told you are dellusional, crazy, hormonal, or an airhead.

To return to that previous state it would be a good idea to adopt a mediation practice, spend a lot of time in nature, journal your experiences and dreams, adopt a natural whole foods diet resembling as close to a hunter gatherer as possible, and excercise regularly with strenuous excercise not just the average gym goer. Running marathons are great.

Then educate yourself and find people that support your metaphysical efforts. Watch out for the fakers.

I'd bet money that your migraines would go away.

• Like 2

Hi White Crane Feather :)

Thank you for your insight, it has been helpful and much appreciated.

John from Lowell also mentioned meditative practice, so I will be incorporating that into my daily routine. I will also take your advice and put into action your suggestions.

It is true that sometimes people may see these things as strange and place labels on you, and I am ok with that, I am a firm believer in each to their own (polite) opinions and I respect that. However, I have witnessed too much to discount all possibilities about things I don't quite understand.

Thanks again :)

• Like 1

Hi, I am really not sure if this is the right place for this topic, however I am curious as to the losing of ones "abilities".

As strange as it may sound, during my formative years I had some personal experiences with the psychic and incorporeal world. Not really understanding any of what was happening, I spent most of my time completely oblivious to things happening around me, I guess most of the time I put things down to me being in my own little world and my imagination. However, there were times where I had no choice to sit up and take notice.

Without going into too much detail, I have had the following things occur over my younger years to around 20 years (rarely now);

strong feelings growing up of belonging to another place and era, de ja vu, astral travel, visited by the shadowman, seen and heard what is not there, numerous flashes of future events which have come to pass (a couple of which I could have done without), a visit by a departed friend etc

There are only a handful of people that know of my previous "abilities", including my husband, who were a little sceptical at first, but certain things have them more open minded.

Realising what I know now, I wish I had the guidance to enhance these events, but instead they have diminished overtime. I kind of feel at a loss.

I have tried to regain these "abilities" with little success, and I am thinking it may be because I am too focused on getting them back or because I can't "zone out" as deeply as could as a child or if pain medication for chronic migraine dulls these "abilities".

Why would this happen?

Thank you

What seems confusing and elusive is actually a very easy question to answer. When we are young we have fewer obligations and drains in the "concrete world". As we get older, more and more responsibilities, trials, hassels and so forth clog our energy. We only have a finite amount of energy and it takes energy to manifest many of the talents you're talking about. It takes energy to walk between the world of concreteness and that other side of the veil. The young are also just coming out of that soft receptivity to the other side and "firming up" into adulthood and the interface with the concrete world. The rat race, to boil it down.

So it's pretty much simple math. If you are getting older you're losing energy. If you are saddled with worries and drama of daily affairs you are losing energy. That's why when I go on retreats or just get a lot more sleep, I instantly revert back to my old "talents". Usually they are mostly in dreaming but they've included other things a time or two. There was one exception though in my life when I was exhausted beyond anything and suffering with a long illness. Then my doppleganger started showing up in various places [according to my friends, family and other people who swear they saw it in various places]. At that point my energy was so low I was close to dying. Then also the veil drops and you have access. Though I do not recommend that route to go into deliberately. Old shaman would wear themselves out and then go into a trance. I like the storing-energy way instead of depleting it too much to dangerous low levels!

Very sorry about your migraines. I've heard good things about Excedrin Migraine medicine. They say it works when nothing else will touch them. Have two good friends who suffer from them and they say it is a living nightmare, vomiting, sensitivity to light and pain beyond description.

Edited by SSilhouette