Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bruno Hauptmann - gulty or innocent?

Antilles

As far as the gloves found I don't know what indication they would have to link them to the crime scene. The didn't have dna back then. They felt that the baby didn't actually bleed.

Blood was identified on some of the items referenced in that report but not on the gloves, which btw, were submitted along with the towel which also showed no blood, on another date and so to me, it's even more important to know where the gloves were collected from to help weigh whether or not they were connected with the crime.

Edited by regi
  • Like 1

Blood was identified on some of the items referenced in that report but not on the gloves, which btw, were submitted along with the towel which also showed no blood, on another date and so to me, it's even more important to know where the gloves were collected from to help weigh whether or not they were connected with the crime.

It would be nice to know how far out they went with their search but it was a pretty wooded, desolate area. A little strange to find gloves scattered about. Just that day and age was a little before the trash dumping we have now.

I hate to even bring this up, since again I have no link to establish it, but I think I did see a mention of a glove being found closer to the house, also described as leather glove with cotton inside to the cuff....Now, you know I'm going to have to try and find that darn statement.... Wish I had printed them out, wouldn't be in this fix !!! :cry: However, I never saw anything that really tied them together as a pair....... So perhaps just debris from the construction work. (?????)

• Like 1

It would be nice to know how far out they went with their search but it was a pretty wooded, desolate area. A little strange to find gloves scattered about. Just that day and age was a little before the trash dumping we have now.

I hate to even bring this up, since again I have no link to establish it, but I think I did see a mention of a glove being found closer to the house, also described as leather glove with cotton inside to the cuff....Now, you know I'm going to have to try and find that darn statement.... Wish I had printed them out, wouldn't be in this fix !!! :cry: However, I never saw anything that really tied them together as a pair....... So perhaps just debris from the construction work. (?????)

Oh if we could go back in time. We ask so much better questions than the police of the day.

• Like 1

Vin, do you remember where you'd read it that the builder's opinion was that the shutter wasn't warped?

It was on the Hoax site in one of the statement copies but I'm afraid I don't remember which one. That's especially frustrating because I just ran into it again the other day. All it consisted of was the name of the contractor and a one sentence statement from him they were not warped. No other questions, no explanation if there was anything else wrong with it . I'll look back and see if I can find it ! :unsure2:

• Like 1

I'll look back and see if I can find it ! :unsure2:

Well, only if you want to...I mean, that's tons of stuff there to go through :blink: and it sounds like it was just a little 'ole brief remark and I'm only mildly curious, anyway.

Well, only if you want to...I mean, that's tons of stuff there to go through :blink: and it sounds like it was just a little 'ole brief remark and I'm only mildly curious, anyway.

It was such a brief statement it was frustrating. I always feel like I want to raise my hand because I have more questions. In all of them I have never seen any type of answer to the overall lock questions. If it wasn't warped why wouldn't it lock ??? They did mention somewhere (sorry) that the shutters were a slide bolt type of lock. When you think about that, it would be one heck of a warp that made them unable to even pull them in enough ???? Or were any of them tampered with ?????? They did find a chisel at the scene which they said was same type Hauptmann had and the particular size they found was missing from his set. Did the kidnapper bring that to disable a lock or could it have been from one of the workmen ????

• 2 months later...

I have not read the post but since I live about 15 minutes away from where the trial took place, I felt maybe I could just jump in. My mother said she didn't think he planned to harm the child. The ladder broke and he dropped the baby and then panicked. If he did take the baby and the ladder was found to be broken then that is not a bad assessment. Of course the question is ... did he do it. For me the jury is out and has been for decades. If this happened now the person suspected would not have been executed so quickly, but considering who his father was the public wanted immediate results. Sounds like a Kennedy thing to me. In short fast is not always correct.

I doubt the Lindbergh baby survived, and as we all know now neither did Anastasia Romanov. But will we ever know the true story, I don't think so. Something was very wrong there and I suspect a possible inside job, but like others I have no answers. It's just one of our local mysteries we like to keep alive. You know like Round Valley and Spruce Run. Let's see if any locals jump in on that one.

On the personal side, I have walked the grounds of the Lindbergh property. When I was a teen I dated a boy that was a wild child. He was sent to Highfields to be rehabilitated. After a few months we were permitted to visit him. It is indeed a beautiful location and Mr. Charles Lindbergh would have been pleased with the outcome. See link.

http://blog.nj.com/l..._home_is_f.html

The Union Hotel in Flemington NJ has a most interesting connection to the trial and is of course said to be haunted. When my friends husband passed they all gathered there after the memorial service. She had her mind was elsewhere so she can't say that it's a ghost meeting place, but she said the surrounds were lovely. Pictures of it remind me of New Orleans. See links:

http://weirdnj.com/s...ts-union-hotel/

http://weirdnj.com/s...ts-union-hotel/

Hopefully it will reopen and a piece of my past will remain.

Edited by MidnightLady