Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Radioactive wild boar wander Europe's woods

UM-Bot

The effects of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster are still being felt in Europe more than 28 years later.

German authorities have reported that wild boar, which still roam the country's forests and are hunted for their meat, have been exhibiting increasing levels of radioactive contamination in recent years to the point where up to a third are unfit for consumption.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...r-europes-woods

• Like 2

so, no superpowers then....?

QUOTE-

The government has had to pay out

hundreds of thousands of Euros to

hunters in compensation for the

large number of boars that have had

to be destroyed due to being unfit

for sale.

.....except the power to encourage freeloading EU members.....

hardly news, this was known since about a year after Chernobyl.... must have been a slow news day...

• Like 2

I wonder if anyone has eaten radioactive boar?

quite a few people in fact, quite a few. If the radioactivity level is below the limits the vets approve them for human consumption.

• Like 1

I like turtles.

• Like 1

I wonder if they glow at night....

Only when they fart!

Edited by jamesjr191
  • Like 3

I wonder if they glow at night....

Living tissue does not glow due to radioactivity.

Edit: else there would be lots of light in Southern Germany's forests as Mushrooms seem to have a predilection in gathering up radioactive isotopes.

Edited by questionmark

Living tissue does not glow due to radioactivity.

Edit: else there would be lots of light in Southern Germany's forests as Mushrooms seem to have a predilection in gathering up radioactive isotopes.

My sarcasm doesn't go over well in text :sm Thanks for the info though :tu:

I wonder if any of the boar have cancer. If radiation causes cancer and can be used to kill cancer, would the correct amount keep cancer from developing?

I wonder if any of the boar have cancer. If radiation causes cancer and can be used to kill cancer, would the correct amount keep cancer from developing?

Good question, next question...

A fast check seems to show that there is no reliable data about cancer in wild boars... which just means that nobody bothered to find out.

I always find the whole Chernobyl area really fascinating.

How so, Princess? Porque?

The actual event, or its results manifesting today?

I don't know. Maybe because it's abandoned? [shrugs]

• Like 1

Surely though if the radioactivity was going to be of any danger to us, and as they are made out of skin, tissue and organs like us, then they will die long before before it can be of any danger to us....unless people run up to Boar corpses and start rubbing them all over their face or something....

Surely though if the radioactivity was going to be of any danger to us, and as they are made out of skin, tissue and organs like us, then they will die long before before it can be of any danger to us....unless people run up to Boar corpses and start rubbing them all over their face or something....

The difference is that boars live an average of 10-20 years (if they don't get shot first) reducing the chance of cancer forming due to radioactive damage by factor 5 compared to humans.