Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What would you do?

_Nyx_

Do you feel you have an obligation to spread your religious belief system to others, or do you think religion is a private matter that everyone needs to decide for themselves?

*Personally, I have no belief in God, but I wouldn't try to convince anyone to see it my way, nor would I criticize what others believe in. To each his own.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amalgamut

• BobaFett

• mako

• hyperactive

One of the reasons why I am here to to inform.

People on here have questions about Christianity (Believers and others.)

I want to help them understand.

The last thing I want is people taking the Word and twisting it. So, I try my best to "untwist" it if you will.

Hard to untwist that which was twisted to begin with  yes.gif

601454[/snapback]

It was never twisted to begin with. People twist it around.

I feel no need to force my faith upon others, however do think they should still be educated on it. Thats why we have Religeous education in class rooms today.

It was never twisted to begin with. People twist it around.

We must not be reading the same book..... rolleyes.gif

We must not be reading the same book..... rolleyes.gif

601620[/snapback]

You're right.

I was referring to the Bible. thumbsup.gif

Thats why we have Religeous education in class rooms today.
We had

religious studies in high school.It was done well, and without mentioning any particular faith. We never picked up a bible. We just looked at what religion was and why. In fact my only gripe about it was that we only looked at main stream religious concepts. It would have been nice to see some Buddhism, Hindu or even some discussions on the Kabala.

I think every-one should be offered up the options. I know that I have never been able to commit myself to any one religion. I need the full smorgasbord of spirituality, from crystal hugger to nature idoliser.

I have my beliefs which often 'show' within my writings, but I would never try to 'force' my beliefs onto anyone. I would be there to answer any questions people may have, to the best of my ability. In the same breath, I do not hide my beliefs if someone says they are offended by what I say. I never mean to offend (and I dont think I ever have) and I am open minded (if that is the term) to others beliefs aswell.

I refer to myself as a Christian, and my partner has mixed beliefs of both Christianity and pagan. We often talk and share our beliefs, but never try to persuade one another to believe what we do.

I think it should be kept private, unless asked about what your beliefs are. Nobody should ever try to force a belief on someone else

i keep it to myself, except when asked or in debate (some comes out).

i wrote quite a bit of it up some time ago, but refuse to share it because so much of it is built on dynamics, if someone were to follow what i wrote i would have recreated the beast i slayed. hmm.gif

Religion is something that is to be shared with to other believers or people who have questions about your faith. I never once try to push someone to be a Christian. I just believe in what I choose to and others can choose what they want as well. 101

It also depends on how other people view your mentioning of your religion. Some people think that if someone mentions Jesus or God or whatever, they are automatically 'pushing' their beliefs on others. Many examples in the news. Some kid reading his Bible quietly at the lunch table gets suspended....

I will talk openly about my spiritual beliefs if that happens to be the topic of conversation. And I will openly read anything about religion or whatever at the park, library, wherever.

I certainly won't go up to anyone and ask them if they want to accept God into their hearts or something like that.

Id say each to his own..

You're right.

I was referring to the Bible.[/quote

]So was I

603032[/snapback]

Well, good for you. w00t.gif

telling someone about it isn't bad, acting like a pushy insurance salesman does no good though for sure.

I remember one time when I was like 5 or 6 running around telling everyone at some picnic that I had ice cream. I was happy. I wanted everyone to be happy like I was. Some bigger kid knocked it out of my hand and laughed. I cried.

Some people just don't want you to be happy, or to tell them you're happy and why. Now I don't usually tell anyone why I'm happy, I wait till they ask, and they do ask, why I always seem so happy and friendly. Perfect strangers tell me "there's something about you" and I say thanks, it's God's fault.

But I remember another time back in Jr. High school I had a sticker of a cross on my trumpet case in band class and was called a sissy. "Why?" I say... "Because you're a christian and christians and people who go to church are sissys." Was later beat on some by those kids... yes, just because I was "christian". So sorry if I paint aithiests with a wide hateful brush at times. My life experience has been they're mean vicious brutal hateful jerks who look for believers to punish. The devout ones. The ones that say they don't know usually are ok, but the ones that say "there's no way nope no such thing never was never will be and that's a fact cause I know it" I fear fear. They violent. Always comes to a point (just like arguing with far left or right politicos) where they just lash out with the intent to harm. Later in life I found it's not only physical, but financial they'll go after you too.

all my opinion experience, nothing directed specifically at anyone on these forums at all in any way

I think it should be kept private, unless asked about what your beliefs are. Nobody should ever try to force a belief on someone else

601762[/snapback]

agreed, if people wish to know, then questions should be asked.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it's a good idea to force religion on anyone. Some people do not like to be preached too! When they're ready for religion, it will come to them - being whatever faith or denomination.

original.gif

I don't have to preach my religion. People come to me when they are ready to learn and sometimes when they are not ready. I have told many people they are not ready or this is not what they are looking for. You have to work at learning the craft. It takes a lot of dedication and not everyone is willing to put in the time.

People shouldn't try to force thier religious beliefs on others, because most of the time it'll make the listener feel VERY uncomfortable. There's this one commercial I've seen lately regarding "Mormonism"(or what ever you call Mormons) It started with 2 friends at a resurant, girl A and Girl B. Girl B try's to talk to her frend, you know, get the conversation going, and asks if Girl A has read anygood books lately. Girl A lights up and spends the next 2 min of the commerical explainging just how great the Mormon Testimate and how her friend, Girl B, should read it and enjoy more Jesus! Even though its only a commercial and they were both actors, Girl B looked VERY uncomfortable while Girl A was talking to her. The piont I'm trying to make is 99.99999999% of the time if you try to convert someone(over the age of 13), you wont succeed. If anything, It'll just make them REALLY uncomfortable and maybe damage their friendship.

The gospel did ask me as a christian to go forth and spreak the good news. The thing is, here in 2005, nearly everybody has heard about it and has made their decision. I would really like to have a way help others receive the good things I have received with christian beliefs but it seems like nowadays everybody is sure about their beliefs and disbeliefs, so I'll say, peace.

Edited by Q-La

If I'm asked what religion I am, and what it is about I will gladly share information, but I won't try to impose my religion upon anyone else, or try to prove that one religion is right, and the other wrong. It's all human opinion really.

601762[/snapback]

thumbsup.gif

I don't have to preach my religion.  People come to me when they are ready to learn and sometimes when they are not ready.  I have told many people they are not ready or this is not what they are looking for.  You have to work at learning the craft.  It takes a lot of dedication and not everyone is willing to put in the time.

627373[/snapback]

Aye what he said.. only I don't do the craft.. I'm a different branch of pagan.. X)