Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man Defaces Virgin Mary underpass image

Gabriel

CHICAGO -- A man was arrested for allegedly scrawling "Big Lie" over a stain on an expressway underpass that some believed was an image of the Virgin Mary.

Authorities then painted over the stain because it had been defaced, police spokesman David Banks said Friday.

Worldwide, people have been drawn to images believed to resemble the Virgin Mary seen on windows, fence posts and walls.

One of the best known was an image on windows of an office building in Clearwater, Fla., that drew hundreds of thousands of viewers after it was spotted in 1996. Experts said the image was created by corrosion. The windows were shattered last year, and a teenage boy pleaded guilty to felony criminal mischief and sentenced to 10 days in jail.

http://www.wftv.com/news/4457924/detail.html

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gabriel

• __Kratos__

• Paranoid Android

• GoddessWhispers

I'm not really all that surprised. It was bound to happen. He probably thinks what he wrote is going to change everyone's minds, but it won't.

Now i don't agree with that at all. I mean sure, i think the whole thing is baloney, but that doesn't give me the right to deface it. Many peoples beliefs are focused on these images, and no one has the right to deface them, deface these peoples beliefs if you will, because he or she thinks it's baloney.

sad.gif

Yeah, this man has basically made a martyr out of a stain. It won't shake the believer's faith, it will just strenghten it.

How the hell did people see anything in that, anyway? It looks more like the eye-witness drawing of mothman.

Edited by JennRose

Yeah, this man has basically made a martyr out of a stain.  It won't shake the believer's faith, it will just strenghten it.

608271[/snapback]

Perhaps this was what he wanted. A catholic defacing the statue for the benefit of his entire faith. Now Catholicism is stronger than ever, he thinks....

You're probably right. I was only half serious posting it.

he could also be a butthead.......

it wasnt hurting anybody.

608280[/snapback]

Well, if a whole bunch of people were congregating under the underpass to see the 'miracle,' perhaps it was slowing down his commute if he had to drive that way to get to work.

(is there a smilie for 'tongue in cheek?')

I found it greatly amusing that all those people were "worshipping" that stain, in the fisrt place. I checked it out, and it looked nothing like a person really. Its all the eyes of the beholder. It is just like looking up at the clouds with a friend and you seeing a dog while he sees a cat. All in your head!

I use to live in Tampa Florida. People there were flocking to a nearby office building across the bay because humidity had made a Virgin Mary image appear in the glass.

The way I see it if someone can sell a toasted cheese sandwich on EBAY for a small $fortune because Mary appears in the toasting, people will pay or believe in anything.

I think it all speaks to the gullibility of followers in that they choose to believe a myth that says a god sent an angel to rape a virgin who then gave birth to a baby that knew, in it's consciousness from the beginning, that it was to grow up and be put to death via Rome's capital punishment device, (Crucifixion) and then raise from the dead so that all peoples sins are forgiven forever as long as they believe the story. wacko.gif

Is it any wonder that today a grilled cheese sandwich with a burn stain is moldering in someone's religious relic's collection and a man faces vandalism charges for defacing an iron stain on an overpass , just because there are people so willing to label such things as holy? Is it any surprise these things are the next evolution in the mentality that believed an outrageous story to begin with? (And one that is copied verbatim from the older mythology of Krishna!?) huh.gif

I think it was just a stain. We see more in it because our eyes are trained to, but it wasn't anything special. The guy, however, was wrong to deface something so special to other people.

Personally, I think that stain should be replaced by newly covered cement or something

Its just a stain-

oh wait, here in the dust on my desktop, I see Jesus' face! My good lord, its a sign.

devil.gif

Come'on people its just a stain.

Although, the above said, I disagree with defacing it, but not because of the idol-worship of it, but because its government/public property... Its in a bypass, so its grafetti. w00t.gif

I wonder what if anything they actually charged the guy with? Defacing a stain?

Kind of silly to me when people have been littering the underpass with candles and flowers but I don't recall anyone getting a ticket for it.

he could also be a butthead.......

it wasnt hurting anybody.

608280[/snapback]

well, it did hold up the traffic in an already notorious bad spot (I lose count of how many times I have sat in it!)

But yeah, there was no need for that.

ok hoagy i totaly feel u on the traffic thing, traffic blows. hey watch and see if there are any car accidents near or around there for a fue days. im wondering if there are a decrese in accidents there since she showed up , it be intresting to find out.

I live here in the Chicago area, and let me tell you, we have enough problems with traffic as it is without whack-jobs crowding around to see a fricking stain.

If he had written on an ordinary stain, I doubt anyone would care. But because some lunatics somehow think this stain is a divine miracle, the guy's in trouble. Personally, I think that if the religious loonies who worship the stain can congest traffic even further, then it's acceptable for someone to write on a stain on the wall of an underpass. Neither side is exactly making the commute easier.

Not to insult anybody, but here it is:

I was taking a wizz in the bathroom today in a urinal (man's relief center) and when you aim and fire it goes in roughly the same pattern as that salt stain. I checked it out, and if you look at the picture of the stain and look at the urinal, after your done guys, you will notice that same virgin mary pattern. thumbsup.gif (Again, I was just pointing something interesting out, and I am not intending to insult anybody)

ph34r.gif Ah yes, it's the wittle visuals! w00t.giflaugh.gif