Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to pray.

Paranoid Android

Hi all,

This thread I guess is primarily for Christians, but everyone - feel free to jump in with your thoughts.

I've spotted a trend amongst people, both Christian and non-Christian, who seem to view praying to God as something you do when you need something from the Big Man. Sort of like a Genie in a Bottle.

This worries me, as I've always seen God as a God who believes in relationships. And how can we have a relationship with someone when the only time we speak to them is when we want something. That's not being a very good friend.

Well, here's what Jesus has to say about prayer -

Matthew 6:9-13

"This, then, is how you should pray:

" 'Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be your name,

your kingdom come,

your will be done

on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us today our daily bread.

Forgive us our debts,

as we also have forgiven our debtors.

And lead us not into temptation,

but deliver us from the evil one.

For the kingdom, the power and glory are yours; now, and forever.

Amen.

Most people will probably have heard this as part of the Lord's Prayer. I fear though, that the monotone recitation of this phrase has caused many to skip over the real meaning and simply say it as part of a meaningless ritual.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Regards,

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zandore

• lightbeyondthedark

• hyperactive

I pray for for universal well bieng, its not directed to God but I have a belief that my prayers can help us all!

We as christians are always sposed to be praying... God has told us to come to him with any need we may have... Little and big... But God is not our genie in a bottle, he still chooses whether or not to answer the prayer...

LBD

I told my self I was not going to but here goes anyway. blush.gif

Often times (When I was a believer) I would pray to God just to reaffirm my faith in him. You do not need a reason to talk to him anymore than you need a reason to talk to your Mother or your mate.

Wow... Nice post zandore... you got it right on there...

Wow... Nice post zandore... you got it right on there...

621876[/snapback]

Just saying what used to be. blush.gif

Thank you LBD

I told my self I was not going to but here goes anyway. blush.gif

Often times (When I was a believer) I would pray to God just to reaffirm my faith in him. You do not need a reason to talk to him anymore than you need a reason to talk to your Mother or your mate.

621873[/snapback]

interesting comparison and speaks volumes of the motives of people!

so those that speak to "gods" when they want something are like those that speak to you only when they want something (and we all know how people like that make us feel).

BFG,

Hey I pray to have a closer relationship to God. I pray for stength,encouragement,and spiritual growth. When I pray to God I often tell him how much I love him and that I am so glad he is in my life. I ask for things like help financially, for physical health and so on. But I feel as if it is something that you must have faith in. I am sure that if I asked God to just give me a thousand dollars he wouldn't. But if he knows I need help financially he will provide a way. IE: a good job oppportunity, a financial blessing or in a small way of keeping me from getting sick and having to buy medicine. It is just wonderful to pray. I always like to tell him how much I love him. He is the best. wub.gif

I don't pray anymore. Just doesn't feel right.

I pray for for universal well bieng, its not directed to God but I have a belief that my prayers can help us all!

Then you do not understand the concept of prayer. Prayer is communication with God. Infact, Jesus Christ. EL the Father will know when you pray becuase He is omni-present. If you pray the prayer of salvation and accept your membership into the Holy Confederation, then you will have something most christians call The Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is a lifeforce that enables you to have the power of Jesus. It is your inheritence. You are enabled to pray to Jesus Christ and He or His ambassadors will hear you pray. They will do everything in their power to help you. However, you must ask in faith. If you do not have the faith to pray, then if you ask something, it will not happen. Praying to God is just like talking to anyone. Except you have to have a different mind-set. You have to humble yourself when you pray. That is why some people preffer to kneel, or bow their heads as a show of reverance and humility. Of course, this has become a meaningless tradition among church members. So, they bow their heads or kneel just because it is a custom. Your prayer means something to God. He listen to it and sometimes He answers right away. Sometimes, He does't have to answer.

The point is that prayer works. Wether it be the prayer Jesus taught us, or a prayer that we make up. Its just conversation with God. Thats all prayer is.

You do not need a reason to talk to him anymore than you need a reason to talk to your Mother or your mate.

zandore, God does't need you. He could do without you or anyone else. He does't need anybody. Fortunately, He loves us and payed a price for us. Its not Him that needs you. Its you that need Him. You just do not realize it. Every breath you take is becuase of Him. Your life depends on Him. Ignorance and comfort run in the human family. Sometimes we feel that its better not to know everything. Well, this is a life or death question here. The facts are that a true believer does not stop praying no matter what.

Edited by Norman

God does't need you. He could do without you or anyone else.

then why does he go to so much trouble to (according to the monotheistic trilogy):

1) create us

2) choose one particular peoples

3) create laws and directions for people

4) promise afterlifes of various types

5) especially in the Torah go out of his way to communicate with us

6) according to the NT send his offspring to die for us

it seems that he does indeed need us if he exists, or else why would such a powerful being that can have anything put so much effort into humanity?

(in contrast, i have no need for him or any other gods - i do need the processes of the system that provides for life though, but those are not gods)

Thank you Hyper.

You could add a number 7 to your list.

7) Why not "Wipe the slate clean" and start over?

The facts are that a true believer does not stop praying no matter what.
I once was a true believer my friend but not any more so this is false because I did stop praying.

let's see...

"This, then, is how you should pray:

" 'Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be your name,

your kingdom come,

your will be done

on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us today our daily bread.

Forgive us our debts,

as we also have forgiven our debtors.

And lead us not into temptation,

but deliver us from the evil one.

For the kingdom, the power and glory are yours; now, and forever.

Amen.

let's keep in mind that the last line is not in the n.t., and that jsus was quoting parts of older prayers.

anyone know "Avinu shebashemayim"?

also, note that this is to be said in private, which xians ignore.ass usual, they pick and choose what to believe.

thank you zandore, and hyperactive, for keeping this from becoming yet another xian website!

my own opinion, pray for strength, pray for understanding, and you will receive it.

Lets see, the question is "How to pray?" Well if I am being informal I just talk to Them. Like "Thank you God/dess." If I really want to be formal and honor the God/desses. I go out in the yard and cast a circle, call in the spirits, call in the God and Goddess, share some wine and cake, then I just tell Them what is on my mind. After that I thank them, send them home and open the circle. Seems to work best on a full Moon. That is how I pray anyway.

When i talk to the big man, i tell him everything. i tell him im scared, i tell him what i worrie about, I tell him what i enjoyed most out of my day. And since he saw me /heard me to some things wrong i tell him all about that too. i just pour my heart out, but i figuar he probaly knows what im going to say anyways so, sometimes i sit there with him in selience. sometime i say"Stay with me, Lord, for it is necessary to have You present so that I do not forget You. You know how easily I abandon You. Stay with me, Lord, because I am weak and I need Your

strength, that I may not fall so often. Stay with me tonight, Jesus, in life with all its dangers, I need You." most of thas St. Pio's prayer plus i add a fue other things.

When i talk to the big man, i tell him everything. i tell him im scared, i tell him what i worrie about, I tell him what i enjoyed most out of my day. And since he saw me /heard me to some things wrong i tell him all about that too. i just pour my heart out, but i figuar he probaly knows what im going to say anyways so, sometimes i sit there with him in selience. sometime i say"Stay with me, Lord, for it is necessary to have You present so that I do not forget You. You know how easily I abandon You. Stay with me, Lord, because I am weak and I need Your

strength, that I may not fall so often. Stay with me tonight, Jesus, in life with all its dangers, I need You." most of thas St. Pio's prayer plus i add a fue other things.

635998[/snapback]

That is beautiful. We are all weak in the flesh so we all need his strength. I must say I really liked that prayer. I pray very similiar. thumbsup.gif