Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If Jesus was so smart

EmpressV

What I am questioning is the most influential time of his life. Where and how he learned his craft. You christians say he recieved it from god but I know that's not true. He was a human and he had the same brain as any other. From what I understand jesus was a free thinker and in search of knowledge. This would have sent him in search of something he wanted to understand. It strikes me as funny that jesus was such a free thinker but yet christians really don't think very freely. According to your bible, you can't think any other way but what the book says. hmm.gif

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GodsMessenger

• EmpressV

• Something Like Laughter

• Link of Hyrule

What I am questioning is the most influential time of his life. Where and how he learned his craft. You christians say he recieved it from god but I know that's not true. He was a human and he had the same brain as any other. From what I understand jesus was a free thinker and in search of knowledge. This would have sent him in search of something he wanted to understand. It strikes me as funny that jesus was such a free thinker but yet christians really don't think very freely. According to your bible, you can't think any other way but what the book says.  hmm.gif

687910[/snapback]

He learned it from God. Just as you or I can learn it from God. That is what Jesus taught. Listen to God and do what God tells you to do.

And I do not think it is fair to judge all christians by your narrow minded definition of them. I am a christian and when I was handed the bible to read, I did not think "Oh here is a book that will tell me what is right and wrong".

When I first read the bible it was a confirmation of what I already knew was right in my heart, but had never seen in my life experiences. I read the book of John and the gospels and the letters to the churches and thought "THIS is what life should be all about" people loving one another and not judging each other and people forgiving each other. That is what I had been searching for my entire life. I found the Truth in the teachings of Christ, I did not convert to the truth.

It is not as if I had been thinking, stealing from people and killing people is a wonderful thing to do and suddenly I decided those things were wrong because the bible said they were.

I'm thinking you need to get off the high moral horse you're on and answer the questions or get out of the way so someone else can. You know, you keep telling me that I can learn knowledge from your god, I think your god is a fantasy I'm not in the habit of getting information from fantasies. As for having a narrow minded view, that place is reserved for the christians I have come across in my time on earth.When I removed myself from the religious world I didn't think about stealing from or killing people either. What does that have to do with the question. Go take your frustrations out on someone else.

I think in this case the whereabouts of such a worshipped person should be documented. That is unless there is something about this time period in his life that they either couldn't relate to or they didn't want known. Perhaps his knowledge was not so divine. I'm sure that he had many other influences that helped him to develop his teachings.

687672[/snapback]

well, as you said yourself, that is what you think. It is it how people living 2000 years ago would have thought?

the early emperors were worshiped, and yet we know almost nothing of their childhoods.

I think in this case the whereabouts of such a worshipped person should be documented. That is unless there is something about this time period in his life that they either couldn't relate to or they didn't want known. Perhaps his knowledge was not so divine. I'm sure that he had many other influences that helped him to develop his teachings.

687672[/snapback]

well, as you said yourself, that is what you think. It is it how people living 2000 years ago would have thought?

the early emperors were worshiped, and yet we know almost nothing of their childhoods.

688236[/snapback]

Considering that the book was put together long after the death of your hero, and it was so important to have just the right info translated, then yes it should have been included. IT WAS THE PERIOD WHEN HE ACQUIRED MOST OF HIS KNOWLEDGE. Why is that not important? Aren't we talking about the single most recognized human on earth? His reign has gone on well past those early emporors and should have been well documented.

Considering that the book was put together long after the death of your hero
30-40 years isnt really that long by ancient standards. Josephus wrote about events occuring before he was born and waited at least 20 years to write about events he did witness.

IT WAS THE PERIOD WHEN HE ACQUIRED MOST OF HIS KNOWLEDGE. Why is that not important?
personalities were seen as static and unchanging. the idea of personality development during childhood is a modern one, as is the idea of including many details from it in biography.

Aren't we talking about the single most recognized human on earth?
perhaps today, but not back in 70.

His reign has gone on well past those early emporors and should have been well documented.
and by ancient standards it is.

Isn't it strange that only the Gosple of Luke would report the thing about his being in the temple and astounding the priests with his knowledge, it would be such an important milestone of his life?  Almost as if it might be made up.  yes.gif

682669[/snapback]

Yes, and it almost might just be the truth. yes.gif

During his teens wasn't he working with his father??

That is what I was always lead to believe, lol.

During his teens wasn't he working with his father??

That is what I was always lead to believe, lol.

thats probably correct, or he was was helping to support his family in some other manner.

I'm thinking you need to get off the high moral horse you're on and answer the questions or get out of the way so someone else can. You know, you keep telling me that I can learn knowledge from your god, I think your god is a fantasy I'm not in the habit of getting information from fantasies. As for having a narrow minded view, that place is reserved for the christians I have come across in my time on earth.When I removed myself from the religious world I didn't think about stealing from or killing people either. What does that have to do with the question. Go take your frustrations out on someone else.

688222[/snapback]

What questions do you want answers for .....

And are you willing to accept the answers when you hear them.

You think Truth and Righteousness are fantasies?

How can youb trust anyone? How can anyone trust you?

God is like a moral code. DO you have a moral code?

Do you obey your moral code. If your moral code says it is wrong to steal. do you steal anyway?

Narrow minded view means this bigotted opinion you have of people who call themselves christians. You think all christians are the same from the sound of your message. And to make it worse your definition of christian is an insulting and degrading one. How would you like it if someone who had no idea who you were or what you believed classified you as some kind of deviant or degenerate?

You sound like the one with the frustrations and you use christians to kick because you don't want to be arrestted for kicking your dog when you get home.

Meanwhile back to the question. Jesus intelligence was the same as yours and mine. And Jesus tells us how to have the same intelligence.. You must be born again. You must come to the place in your life where when you hear the TRUTH, you are willing to accept it!

And God is telling you the Truth in your heart right now and you can either accept it or you can lash out in defiant rebellion. The choice is always yours, and God is always their ready and waiting when you are ready to listen to what He is saying.

May I remind certain people here that whilst at one time before these forums were split up people were free to verbally abuse, bash, slander, humiliated, defame, persecute and discriminate against people for their beliefs, such behavior is no longer acceptable in THIS particular forum. If you are that way inclined I suggest you make you way over to the Spirituality VESRUS SKEPTICISM forum, and while you're there, read the RULES of conduct which is acceptable here. Certain people are already quite aware of this are they are old members and yet have ignored it......

688222[/snapback]

What questions do you want answers for .....

And are you willing to accept the answers when you hear them.

You think Truth and Righteousness are fantasies?

How can youb trust anyone? How can anyone trust you?

God is like a moral code. DO you have a moral code?

Do you obey your moral code. If your moral code says it is wrong to steal. do you steal anyway?

Narrow minded view means this bigotted opinion you have of people who call themselves christians. You think all christians are the same from the sound of your message. And to make it worse your definition of christian is an insulting and degrading one. How would you like it if someone who had no idea who you were or what you believed classified you as some kind of deviant or degenerate?

You sound like the one with the frustrations and you use christians to kick because you don't want to be arrestted for kicking your dog when you get home.

Meanwhile back to the question. Jesus intelligence was the same as yours and mine. And Jesus tells us how to have the same intelligence.. You must be born again. You must come to the place in your life where when you hear the TRUTH, you are willing to accept it!

And God is telling you the Truth in your heart right now and you can either accept it or you can lash out in defiant rebellion. The choice is always yours, and God is always their ready and waiting when you are ready to listen to what He is saying.

689170[/snapback]

I have no idea where this attitude of yours is coming from. All I asked is where Jesus was is his teen years and where he got his knowledge and you can't answer it. I think that I asked a legitamate question.

I have no problem with christians, my whole family belong to the sect. For some reason you are the only one who thinks there's a problem. It's so funny that you are calling me a bigot, I have never been called that by any one. If you really knew me you would think I am the least biggoted person you've ever met. Maybe I should have posted this on the spirituality/skepticism site, maybe someone over there could give me an answer. Sorry I wasted your energy.

I want to apologize to those who did answer the question I appreciate your responses. Thanx

What I am questioning is the most influential time of his life. Where and how he learned his craft. You christians say he recieved it from god but I know that's not true. He was a human and he had the same brain as any other. From what I understand jesus was a free thinker and in search of knowledge. This would have sent him in search of something he wanted to understand. It strikes me as funny that jesus was such a free thinker but yet christians really don't think very freely. According to your bible, you can't think any other way but what the book says.  hmm.gif

687910[/snapback]

This is what set me off/ My apologies for over reacting....

I want to apologize to those who did answer the question I appreciate your responses. Thanx

689573[/snapback]

I'm sorry I didn't give you the andwer you wanted or were willing to accept.

It seems you only wanted answers that agree with your preconceived idea if how smart Jesyus was.

689573[/snapback]

I'm sorry I didn't give you the andwer you wanted or were willing to accept.

It seems you only wanted answers that agree with your preconceived idea if how smart Jesyus was.

689646[/snapback]

Addendum, ... you were saying something about "free thinking"???

I just want to know your feelings on this. I have always been under the impression that he learned some of his knowledge from the elder jews. But a lot of his teachings seem to favor far eastern philosophies. The christian bible seems to have left out a significant time frame of his life. Could he have possibly been searching for more answers and made his way to other cultures?

682233[/snapback]

It does not take any special knowledge to know that teh right thing to do with ines life, is to Love God and Love Others. And that is all that Jesus really taught.

And He got His knowledge the same place you and I do ... from God ... from the Spirit of Truth and Righteousness, The Golden Rule. Empathy.

The problem is so many people have "tuned out" the voice of God. Or they have allowed all the noise and bustle of the world to distract them from hearing Gods voice. Or they don't like want to hear what God has to say.

Jesus loves His Fathers and Trusts His Father and Obeys His Father in heaven.

We ALL know what the right thing to do is, we just do not want to do it sometimes.

682480[/snapback]

Where in this post does it really give the answer to my question? All you said is that god gave it to him. He was a human on earth. I guess I should have asked,where on earth did he get his knowledge? Others seemed to know where I was coming from!

I just want to know your feelings on this. I have always been under the impression that he learned some of his knowledge from the elder jews. But a lot of his teachings seem to favor far eastern philosophies. The christian bible seems to have left out a significant time frame of his life. Could he have possibly been searching for more answers and made his way to other cultures?

682233[/snapback]

It does not take any special knowledge to know that teh right thing to do with ines life, is to Love God and Love Others. And that is all that Jesus really taught.

And He got His knowledge the same place you and I do ... from God ... from the Spirit of Truth and Righteousness, The Golden Rule. Empathy.

The problem is so many people have "tuned out" the voice of God. Or they have allowed all the noise and bustle of the world to distract them from hearing Gods voice. Or they don't like want to hear what God has to say.

Jesus loves His Fathers and Trusts His Father and Obeys His Father in heaven.

We ALL know what the right thing to do is, we just do not want to do it sometimes.

682480[/snapback]

Where in this post does it really give the answer to my question? All you said is that god gave it to him. He was a human on earth. I guess I should have asked,where on earth did he get his knowledge? Others seemed to know where I was coming from!

691788[/snapback]

I answered this but somehow it did not get sent

Jesus did not have some kind of super intelligence. His teachings are so simple we teach them to children in Sunday school.

And God is more than willing to tell us all the same things He told Jesus. We just are not willing to hear what God has to say. Along with that unwillingness comes a lack of faith.

Like Adam and Eve we want to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

We will choose to believe what we want to believe not trust our Father. The serpent is so much more interesying and he tells us what we want to hear. He flatters us. Puffs us up with pride how WE ARE EQUAL TO GOD knowing good anfd evil.... yeah right...

Messenger, thanx for your answer. I know that you are true to your hero (god) and you believe every word. You should be commended for being so loyal. Although I can't get my beliefs around the simplistic nature of your answer. I'm sorry I don't mean to offend you or your beliefs. You give what you think is what I want to hear and then you preach the bible and its metaphores (adam & eve) in order to explain further. You must understand my position, I don't believe the way you do. I deal with things that are based in reality. Touch,see,feel, ect. that is why I wanted to know were jesus went in his teen years, what other places did he seek to travel? What other cultures did he learn from? I understand if you don't really know.

Messenger, thanx for your answer. I know that you are true to your hero (god) and you believe every word. You should be commended for being so loyal. Although I can't get my beliefs around the simplistic nature of your answer. I'm sorry I don't mean to offend you or your beliefs. You give what you think is what I want to hear and then you preach the bible and its metaphores (adam & eve) in order to explain further. You must understand my position, I don't believe the way you do. I deal with things that are based in reality. Touch,see,feel, ect. that is why I wanted to know were jesus went in his teen years, what other places did he seek to travel? What other cultures did he learn from? I understand if you don't really know.

695882[/snapback]

Thank you for taking the time to read my answers and reply to them even though they are not quite what you seem to be looking for.

It does not matter to me if Jesus even existed as a human being. I was not around 2000 years ago so I do not know that Jesus, But I do know the Spirit of Christ. That Spirit is revealed in the teachings attributed to the character Jesus in the four gospels. It is what He taught and did it is who He is! You do not need to know any more than what is written there already.

What if Jesus never existed as a human being? Would it make the teachings attributed to Him and more or less TRUE?

Our reality, the things we touch see and feel does not exist in a vacuum.

The actions we take, harmful or helpful, positive or negative are based on our thoughts and emotions which are not physical. you need to be able to understand metaphors and concepts to understand what the bible is saying.

There doesn't have to have been an actual boy who cried wolf falsely too many times for his own good, for that story to be full of TRUTH.

If someone punches you in the face you FEEL that, but that punch resulted from something you cannot touch see or feel, the THOUGHTS and EMOTIONS of the person who hit you. The same with a hug. Sometimes it is the things we cannot touch see or feel that it is important to understand.

The Lords Prayer says "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven".

What is the will of God .... to love one another.

Let's do that on earth okay?

Addendum

And personally I see the spirit of Christ in all cultures, Hindu's, Buddhists, Moral Atheists, Christians, Jews, I hear it in the Golden Rule which most if not all of the above agree with in principle\spirit.

Addendum

And personally I see the spirit of Christ in all cultures, Hindu's, Buddhists, Moral Atheists, Christians, Jews, I hear it in the Golden Rule which most if not all of the above agree with in principle\spirit.

696860[/snapback]

What do you mean by "moral athiests)?

Addendum

696860[/snapback]

What do you mean by "moral athiests)?

697519[/snapback]

Well the other belief systems infer some kind of moral belief because they are connected to God or with buddhists they have some kind of teacher like Budhha.

Atheists do not have that inferred greater good to answer to, so I mention the moral part for atheists who do believe in the golden rule concept.

Because you have asked I will also say that those other groups have their "immoral" members that would coincide with immoral atheists as opposed to moral atheists.

Again I would like to take a moment to thank you for asking me to clarify what I have said instead of making some kind of accusatory statement based on what I have said.

good question, but if he was the Son of God, isnt he created.. all knowing?