Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cell phone in 1928?

Rickety

I just saw this and I think it's incredible! What do you think?

Covered on CNN

Antique hearing aid.

Doubtful, considering that antuiqe hearing aids were big horns in the ear designed to funnel in sound waves. This was much more compact, and as you can see she was speaking into it.

Posted a picture to compare.

No, sorry. It's still too large and it still does not explain why she was speaking into the device.

You assume she's speaking into it because there's a black area where her mouth is, maybe she just has her mouth open, maybe it's part of the hearing aid. And there's no comparison size of the hearing aid in the bottom image to a human head, one moment while I do find one.

You assume she's speaking into it because there's a black area where her mouth is, maybe she just has her mouth open, maybe it's part of the hearing aid. And there's no comparison size of the hearing aid in the bottom image to a human head, one moment while I do find one.

No, the fact that she stops and clearly moves her mouth as she smiles whilst talking is a clear indicator to the fact that she is not using a hearing aid. If all you see is a black spot then you either need to update your graphics drivers/card, or consider getting your eyes examined because she is clearly speaking.

Not to mention the fact that the shape would be wrong. If you look then you could maybe see a curvature in the device at her ear, but if you look at the curve on the device then you can see that it is on the opposite side, I don't think she would be trying to hear the birds and talk to herself.

Edited by AngelsShadow

No, the fact that she stops and clearly moves her mouth as she smiles whilst talking is a clear indicator to the fact that she is not using a hearing aid. If all you see is a black spot then you either need to update your graphics drivers/card, or consider getting your eyes examined because she is clearly speaking.

Not to mention the fact that the shape would be wrong. If you look then you could maybe see a curvature in the device at her ear, but if you look at the curve on the device then you can see that it is on the opposite side, I don't think she would be trying to hear the birds and talk to herself.

Old hard of hearing lady could just be old.

'If she's just using a hearing aid, why does she also appear to be talking into it? The obvious answer is that she's just chattering to herself, or perhaps trying to get the attention of someone around her. But she's probably not using a mobile phone.'

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/celebritology/2010/10/the_siemens_1924_hearing_aid_a.html

Eh, this link works pretty well: http://w1.hearing.si...s.jsp?year=1924

Both of those would be 4 year models, and neither of them match the picture you gave. Not to mention the usuage of wired earphones to filter the noise, if she was using either of these then they would not be up to her ear, rather in her pocket. Quite a substantiel accomplishment, such a compact device in 1924, but clearly not the device in the video.

Old hard of hearing lady could just be old.

'If she's just using a hearing aid, why does she also appear to be talking into it? The obvious answer is that she's just chattering to herself, or perhaps trying to get the attention of someone around her. But she's probably not using a mobile phone.'

http://voices.washin...ring_aid_a.html

That's a little bit of a desperate ploy to prove your point, in my opinion.

Both of those would be 4 year models, and neither of them match the picture you gave. Not to mention the usuage of wired earphones to filter the noise, if she was using either of these then they would not be up to her ear, rather in her pocket. Quite a substantiel accomplishment, such a compact device in 1924, but clearly not the device in the video.

That fellow in the picture in the link is clearly holding something up to his ear, maybe he's busy cleaning his ear or something? That was one of the possible hearing aids it could be. And technology didn't move ahead as quickly as they do nowadays, there was no iHearingAid out every year. Maybe it was the only one she could afford at the time. Anyway, the footage is much too blurry to instantly make the assumption 'obviously it's a cell phone guys'.

That fellow in the picture in the link is clearly holding something up to his ear, maybe he's busy cleaning his ear or something? That was one of the possible hearing aids it could be. And technology didn't move ahead as quickly as they do nowadays, there was no iHearingAid out every year. Maybe it was the only one she could afford at the time. Anyway, the footage is much too blurry to instantly make the assumption 'obviously it's a cell phone guys'.

Well obviously it's none of the 3 devices that have been provided. The devices on the website are too small to be the device, the one in the picture you provided is not properly shaped, being that the earpiece is on the opposite side.

That's a little bit of a desperate ploy to prove your point, in my opinion.

Desperate? No. A dissenting opinion that makes a bit more sense then 'time traveler must have a great payment plan'? Perhaps

• Like 6

Well obviously it's none of the 3 devices that have been provided. The devices on the website are too small to be the device, the one in the picture you provided is not properly shaped, being that the earpiece is on the opposite side.

Gosh willickers, you're right, that blurry shape in her hand could not be a hearing aid at all, must be a cell phone, much too large, or as you said in post 5, much too small compared to the other hearing aid image I provided. Man, those wacky time travelers sure have us 21st century folks fooled.

• Like 2

Desperate? No. A dissenting opinion that makes a bit more sense then 'time traveler must have a great payment plan'? Perhaps

It's a little desperate to use the "old lady talking to herself" card, when she did a classic move that most cell phone users do, that is, stopping, looking in a certain direction and smiling as they speak when they hear good news. Chalking that up to "maybe she was just a crazy grandma?" IS a little bit desperate. If she was doing that back in those times then she would have been considered unstable and put in a mental institution, either that or a shut in, a common thing done to people who did that back in the 20s

• Like 1

Gosh willickers, you're right, that blurry shape in her hand could not be a hearing aid at all, must be a cell phone, much too large, or as you said in post 5, much too small compared to the other hearing aid image I provided. Man, those wacky time travelers sure have us 21st century folks fooled.

Please do not insult my intelligence by using remarks like that. It's a little insulting and I would prefer if you would remain respectful as I have been to you.

It's a little desperate to use the "old lady talking to herself" card, when she did a classic move that most cell phone users do, that is, stopping, looking in a certain direction and smiling as they speak when they hear good news. Chalking that up to "maybe she was just a crazy grandma?" IS a little bit desperate. If she was doing that back in those times then she would have been considered unstable and put in a mental institution, either that or a shut in, a common thing done to people who did that back in the 20s

Never said it was my opinion she was talking to herself, that was one of the arguments for why she was talking, so I decided to voice it.

Well unless someone can tell me how cell phone towers and communications satellites found their way into 1928, because without them cell phones are pretty much useless, it would be more likely that the person had an abcessed tooth and was holding something up to their mouth/jaw while looking for a dentist.

cormac

• Like 2

Please do not insult my intelligence by using remarks like that. It's a little insulting and I would prefer if you would remain respectful as I have been to you.

Don't dictate to me how I present my point of view, just because I use humor in my posts does not make them insulting, merely makes them enjoyable to read for the rest of the community. I even make a point in that post. The point being, there were many compact hearing aids available at the time, not all made by the same company, so just because one was 'too small' or another 'too small' doesn't mean there wasn't one that was 'just right'.

• Like 5

Eh, this link works pretty well: http://w1.hearing.si...s.jsp?year=1924

Doubtful, considering that antuiqe hearing aids were big horns in the ear designed to funnel in sound waves. This was much more compact, and as you can see she was speaking into it.

Look at the link again, there is a picture of it being used in hand, it does match up with the video. Portable electronic hearing aids were around since the late 1890s, compact for the time, but nothing like today. Wearable ones come about in the 1930s.

Either that or it's a cellphone modified by The Doctor's sonic screwdriver to function regardless of its spatial-temporal relationship to any cell phone network service.

• Like 1

Well unless someone can tell me how cell phone towers and communications satellites found their way into 1928, because without them cell phones are pretty much useless, it would be more likely that the person had an abcessed tooth and was holding something up to their mouth/jaw while looking for a dentist.

cormac

Now THAT is a compelling argument sir! I applaud you for that! :clap:

I didn't think about that one.

BUT! Could it be possible that the user modified it, prior to using it, to use radio waves, which are similar to cell waves, to make very short distance calls? Or perhaps a HAM wave?

Don't dictate to me how I present my point of view, just because I use humor in my posts does not make them insulting, merely makes them enjoyable to read for the rest of the community. I even make a point in that post. The point being, there were many compact hearing aids available at the time, not all made by the same company, so just because one was 'too small' or another 'too small' doesn't mean there wasn't one that was 'just right'.

I wasn't telling you how to formulate your opinion, I was merely politely asking you to not use demeaning remarks like that when I was being respectful towards you, asking for the same respect is not trying to tell you how to formulate your opinion.

I wasn't telling you how to formulate your opinion, I was merely politely asking you to not use demeaning remarks like that when I was being respectful towards you, asking for the same respect is not trying to tell you how to formulate your opinion.

You say 'tomato' I say 'potato', or something akin to that. You thought I was insulting you, I wasn't, I see you telling me to not 'insult' you as you dictating how I type up my posts, you don't.

You're hard spun on this being a cell phone, other then the fact that she's 'talking into it', what other proof is there that it's a cell phone?

• Like 2

Again, this is one of these cases when we are asked to prove a negative, which cannot be done.

The claim is that it's a cellphone, and we have to prove it's not.

It's a blurry picture claiming the gal is a time traveller talking on her cellphone.

Ok, lets assume she is a time traveller and she is talking on her cellphone...

If it's 1928, then perhaps someone could tell me what service carrier she is using? I don't think there were many networks functioning in 1928.

Unless she can transmit her signal to the future?

Edited by synchronomy
  • Like 2