Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gay marriage 'to be illegal'

gat marriage maria miller

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#316    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

View PostCassea, on 14 December 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

That is a more liberal interpretation of Christianity.  You don't get to dictate what it means to be Christian.  It's not just what Jesus said. It is also what God said.   I am probably more liberal.  But I don't deny the right of those who are more conservative.  To believe what they do.  And to do otherwise is bigoted and disrespectful.  No matter how much you try to hide behind.  Self righteousness.
no it isn't.
it is the literal meaning of christianity.

#317    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

Gay people have insulted me.   They have attacked my faith.   Insulted my God and Jesus.   Mocked and derided me. Threatened me with violence.  Etc.  I don't decide that all gay people act this way. I don't use this as a justification.  To be bigoted towards gay people.  You have taken your stories.  And used them to justify your bigotry.  You hide behind them as if they are true for every believer.  And every church.  Common sense says this isn't possible.  You are hiding behind self righteousness.  You are shoving your views at people who understand them  But disagree with you.  And for some reason this has enraged you.  So you take it out on Christians.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#318    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

View Postshadowhive, on 14 December 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

That's not what I mean at all.

By all means religion's should have rights, but those rights should not be under ann act which protects things that aren't a choice. I don''t want them to have less rights and that's just my opinion.

So you are saying that.

You think that because people choose their faith they are entitled to less rights than you. In effect the religious would be made second class citizens whose views arent as important as yours.

#319    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

View PostJGirl, on 14 December 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

no it isn't.
it is the literal meaning of christianity.

That's a bit arrogant.  Not all Christianity is regarded the way you have stated.  You are wrong.  I'm sure you know this. So this appears to be more silly.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#320    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,895 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 14 December 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

So you are saying that.

You think that because people choose their faith they are entitled to less rights than you. In effect the religious would be made second class citizens whose views arent as important as yours.

No. Nice try though.

I think we should have two laws. The equality act protecting gay rights, women's rights, ethnic rights. All of those things are inborn traits.

A second law, let's call it the religious act, which gives the exact same rights religions have now. The only change would be to seperate religion, which is a choice, from things that aren't.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
Where are those droideka?
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#321    Dash--

Dash--

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

View PostCassea, on 14 December 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

That's a bit arrogant. Not all Christianity is regarded the way you have stated.  You are wrong.  I'm sure you know this. So this appears to be more silly.
Nor is it "all" the way you've stated.

Wisdom is not a product of schooling,but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.
A.Einstein

We live in a sunlit world of what we believe to be reality,but...

#322    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

View PostCassea, on 14 December 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

That's a bit arrogant.  Not all Christianity is regarded the way you have stated.  You are wrong.  I'm sure you know this. So this appears to be more silly.
that isn't my definition of it. that is the definition of it.
i'm not surprised it appears 'silly' to you. it doesn't fit with your mindset.

#323    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

View PostDash--, on 14 December 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

Nor is it "all" the way you've stated.

What way have I stated?

#324    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,895 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

View PostCassea, on 14 December 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

Gay people have insulted me.   They have attacked my faith.   Insulted my God and Jesus.   Mocked and derided me. Threatened me with violence.  Etc.  I don't decide that all gay people act this way. I don't use this as a justification.  To be bigoted towards gay people.  You have taken your stories.  And used them to justify your bigotry.  You hide behind them as if they are true for every believer.  And every church.  Common sense says this isn't possible.  You are hiding behind self righteousness.  You are shoving your views at people who understand them  But disagree with you.  And for some reason this has enraged you.  So you take it out on Christians.

I don't defend the actions of those people.

No, you simply use the bible to justify the bigotry of others. You use it to excuse them. You use it to give them justification. You use it to make out like they need protection.

You are the one that says 'the bible says this, therefore the church should follow it'. Yet in the next breath you say it's not the same for every church and every believer. So which is it? should every christian be playing by the same playsheet or do they have the choice to inteprete it as they wish?

It enrages me when they have the gall to treat people as inferior. Think for a second about your belief and what it says. Homosexuality is a sin. Always, een in a loving, comitted relationship. Hetrosexuality, on the other hand is not a sin, especially in marriage. Do you not see what the problem is there?

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#325    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

View Postshadowhive, on 14 December 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

No. Nice try though.

I think we should have two laws. The equality act protecting gay rights, women's rights, ethnic rights. All of those things are inborn traits.

A second law, let's call it the religious act, which gives the exact same rights religions have now. The only change would be to seperate religion, which is a choice, from things that aren't.

Thats a charming attitude.

#326    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,895 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 14 December 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

Thats a charming attitude.

Why? Are you going to argue that religion is not a choice?

#327    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

View Postshadowhive, on 14 December 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

I don't defend the actions of those people.

No, you simply use the bible to justify the bigotry of others. You use it to excuse them. You use it to give them justification. You use it to make out like they need protection.

You are the one that says 'the bible says this, therefore the church should follow it'. Yet in the next breath you say it's not the same for every church and every believer. So which is it? should every christian be playing by the same playsheet or do they have the choice to inteprete it as they wish?

It enrages me when they have the gall to treat people as inferior. Think for a second about your belief and what it says. Homosexuality is a sin. Always, een in a loving, comitted relationship. Hetrosexuality, on the other hand is not a sin, especially in marriage. Do you not see what the problem is there?

You should calm down.  You are being melodramatic.  I am smart enough to know.  That whether I agree with it or not.  The Church of England and the Catholic Church.  Base their religious canon on the BIble.   I didn't say they should follow it.  I observed that they do follow it.   They are much more conservative than I am.  And no I don't believe that every Christian should be playing on the same playsheet. The same way I don't believe every Jew should.  There is not one interpretation.  Those suggesting there is are very silly in my opinion.

Edited by Cassea, 14 December 2012 - 10:10 PM.

#328    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,194 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

It hits you... You are one min reading a story  about gays and marriage, who's forcing who to do what and so on.............Then you hear a much bigger and more shocking, sad news story ..and  you stop and think why am I getting wrapped up in something that is minor compared to something that is more tragic ?  

My views as of now are - I really do not care what happens with the gays and the churches, I have come to realize that my family are all that matters.. Having watched and listened to a more tragic story on Sky News at this present time, I really think these sort of issues are small and not worth it..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 14 December 2012 - 10:22 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#329    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

View Postshadowhive, on 14 December 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

Why? Are you going to argue that religion is not a choice?

No I'm going to argue that gays, women, immigrants and the religious are all entitled to exactly the same rights under law.

Trying to isolate religion from the equalities act is not only a charming attitude it sets a dangerous precedent. One day its lets isolate them off the next day its our rights are more important than theirs.

Hitler would be proud of you right now.

#330    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,895 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

View PostCassea, on 14 December 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

You should calm down.  You are being melodramatic.  I am smart enough to know.  That whether I agree with it or not.  The Church of England and the Catholic Church.  Base their religious canon on the BIble.   I didn't say they should follow it.  I observed that they do follow it.   They are much more conservative than I am.  And no I don't believe that every Christian should be playing on the same playsheet. The same way I don't believe every Jew should.  There is not one interpretation.  Those suggesting there is are very silly in my opinion.

And yet at the mere sugestion that those churches should change, you bring out that nope, they can't because the bible says so.

If other churches have their own intepretation, if other churches are more liberal and have changed why do you have such a problem with even the suggestion that churches can change?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users