Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man survives for two months in snowed-in car

Still Waters

A Swedish man was dug out alive after being snowed in to his car on a forest track for two months with no food, police and local media reported on Saturday.

The 45-year-old from southern Sweden was found on Friday, emaciated and too weak to utter more than a few words.

He was found not far from the city of Umea in the north of Sweden by snowmobilers who thought they had come across a car wreck until they dug their way to a window and saw movement inside.

The man, who was laying in the back seat in a sleeping bag, said he had been in the car since December 19.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocketgirl33

• Still Waters

• 27vet

• tipotep

No food for two months! What is he, an extreme monk? Glad he's okay though :)

Wow, that is a long time! How did he keep from suffocating? There was a story about a man and his wife who got stuck in their mini van for 3 months or something like that. One day the man wakes up and says, "If I don't go for help we will die here." So off he goes. Short time later someone finds the mini van and the wife is still alive but very weak. Unfortunately, the husband is never seen again. I remember seeing this in the news quite a while ago so if I can find the story I will look for it. I hope this guy gets his health back quick.

Rocketgirl B)

Wow, that is a long time! How did he keep from suffocating? There was a story about a man and his wife who got stuck in their mini van for 3 months or something like that. One day the man wakes up and says, "If I don't go for help we will die here." So off he goes. Short time later someone finds the mini van and the wife is still alive but very weak. Unfortunately, the husband is never seen again. I remember seeing this in the news quite a while ago so if I can find the story I will look for it. I hope this guy gets his health back quick.

Rocketgirl B)

That was my first question. He could melt enough snow for hydration but if he had air then why not dig out?

BTW Rocketgirl I LOVE your avatar. I laugh every time I see it...thanks :w00t:

That was my first question. He could melt enough snow for hydration but if he had air then why not dig out?

I agree, why not just tunnel out? How was he melting his snow? Where did he go "potty?" and the final question-"Why did he not get out and walk to the Town which seems to be pretty close, when he first get stuck?" What a Nit Whit!

I love my avatar! That is EXACTLY how I feel every day!

Rocket B)

Edited by Rocketgirl33

I'm not so sure about this , 2 months in a snow covered car .......

For some reason my bs detector is going off !

TiP.

Polar bears are nothing. Emperor penguins can do the same without hibernating. They just stand in the snow and enjoy freezing cold winds. To quote from wiki:

"A male Emperor penguin must withstand the Antarctic cold for more than two months to protect his eggs from extreme cold. During this entire time he doesn't eat a thing. Most male penguins will lose about 12 kg (26 lb) while they wait for their babies to hatch."

I know cuz I watch BBC documentaries like Frozen Planet. Anyway, what this guy did allegedly is what Breatharianists do their entire lives so I can't see what's the big deal here.

If this story is true, and the only reason I am doubting it is because of the all the comments doubting it. If it's true, I would say that the human body is an amazing thing that it can go into hibernation if necessary. Why he did not go for help is not answered in the story as written. Maybe he was just too scared and decided to stay put for whatever reason.

I can't help feeling he stayed with his car for safety rather than trying to dig out (when the car first stopped I would guess he didn't even need to dig out). I don't know how far he was from civilisation but he was probably safer where he was rather than walking in those conditions. Surely if it was a ten minute walk to town he would have gone for it, a long walk may have been to risky in the snow and ice.

He could have been hiding from the taxman or an angry girlfriend or similar.

Poor guy,but he survived.I saw a car drive off the road into a snowdrift which completely covered it,(a few winters ago in Scotland) the occupants,an elderly couple,couldnt force the doors open,but I phoned the Firebrigade who were along in 30 minutes and they got out safely.Nothing passed us on the road while we were there,I guess its fate that I was following them at the time.

He had no food but still survived?

Did he take up all 4 of his car seats before hand?

I don't believe this at all ,you can't compare our physiology to bears....

The papers here in Sweden say his life had gone downhill lately, evicted from his house, girlfriend leaving him and a mountain of debts piling up, so think his mental health wasn't that good.

Think he just didn't care, it wasn't that far away to a main road and rescue if he wanted.

A professor, when asked about this, said that if you enter a state of hibernation like he did you can last up to 60 days without food, so he was found in the last minute it seems.

Police and medical staff involved see no reason to doubt that he really has been in the car since december so...

Zam

Edited by Zamor

how DID he survive this ... noway i would stay in one place for 2 months, and no food? i dont believe this lol

He must be a member of the A team.

If that was the case, then he would of turned his car into a tank, utilising his seat frames and making a welder from the cigar lighter.

With out getting out.

Perhaps He had a dog with him?.... :w00t:

Shame on you! LOL! :wacko: