Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Concealed Weapons=Lower Violent Crime

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

This must really p*** off anti-gun advocates

http://www.thenewame...lent-crime-down

Now consider Chicago with the most severe gun control laws in the country and the highest violent crime rate.

#2    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,505 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

Concealed weapon = no-one saw you shoot that mugger!

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:39 PM

Criminals will think twice about attacking someone that is armed.  They like easy prey.

#4    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

Like Kennesaw, Georgia where everyone that isn't a felon or crazy is required to have a gun. It's a suburd of Atlanta and crime is almost nonexistent.

#5    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

View PostMichelle, on 03 April 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

Like Kennesaw, Georgia where everyone that isn't a felon or crazy is required to have a gun. It's a suburd of Atlanta and crime is almost nonexistent.
I'm sure the effects of the law will work against crime but I have to disagree with forcing people to own one.
Although I read that it won't be enforced and no penalties will be implemented for failure to comply. But criminals beware nonetheless.

Posted Image

#6    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:10 AM

The relationship between violent crime and gun ownership is not as clear cut as the OP would like to think. Looking past the provided link to the original ABC report reveals a bit more.

"Florida statistics show murderers are increasingly using firearms. Between 2000 and 2005, Florida's firearm-involved murder rate never topped 3.5 per 100,000 residents. Every year since, it has exceeded that number. And in 2011, for the first time on record, guns were used in more than 70 percent of homicides".

Read more: http://www.abc15.com...p#ixzz2PS7JAyfr

It seems that whatever your stance on gun control, you can find some statistic to back up your opinion.

#7    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,153 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

The solution is not to toss in more guns. The more armed people there are might make you feel safer but its a placebo effect. Sure petty criminals might die down. But what could be put in place is a kind of arms race. Which is what happened between organized Crime and the Police.

If you guys down south want to stop crime perhaps you should start looking into why crime is so high in the first place. Instead of arming everyone.

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#8    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,505 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:03 AM

Where does it end though, pilgrims?  I can totally understand arming yourself if all the bad guys guys are armed but it could end up in with you walking around like Rambo with grenades hanging round your neck and an assault rifle slung over your shoulder!  A mini arms race, if you're not careful.

Disclaimer: I'm only saying this an outsider looking in so please don't crucify me.  I of course have no idea of the realities of everyday life in the US.  I do like you though.  :)

#9    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:38 AM

View PostThanato, on 04 April 2013 - 04:57 AM, said:

The solution is not to toss in more guns. The more armed people there are might make you feel safer but its a placebo effect. Sure petty criminals might die down. But what could be put in place is a kind of arms race. Which is what happened between organized Crime and the Police.

If you guys down south want to stop crime perhaps you should start looking into why crime is so high in the first place. Instead of arming everyone.

~Thanato

Well there are plenty of places here down south that have almost no crime at all.Small towns where almost everyone owns firearms,have been around them all of their lives,and can handle them properly and accuratly.In some of these towns i can tell you why there is almost no crime....1.Everyone is armed and others know it....2.No gang problems like in big cities...3.Not many drug problems or dealers....4.If something bad does happen the citizens do not sit around like a bunch of lib dems waiting for some authority figure to come hand out a slap on the wrist or some stern words...5.The people know each other and watch out for each other.

Im not saying this about all places down south hell im originally from New Orleans,just saying us simple country folk can have guns,stay alive,and have a thought or two every now and then without gov help or ranting and raving about gun control   ;)

With that said it just seems odd to me that our gov is so worried about its own citizens being armed when they have been giving millions in aid for many years to countries like NK.Surely all that money went to help the average citizens eat?Surely it didnt go to help build up arms and feed troops that could one day give us more problems than some lone maniac with a gun?   :o

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#10    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

View PostThanato, on 04 April 2013 - 04:57 AM, said:

~Thanato

So are you suggesting if we give up our guns the criminals will also? :w00t:

As too why crime is so high that's freaking simple. they do it because they know they can get away with it and if they do get caught the worst they face is three hots, a cot, free cable, free gym, free clothes, free school, and a free shrink to tell them they are a product of their enviroment and not a bad person.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#11    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,153 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 04 April 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

Well there are plenty of places here down south that have almost no crime at all.Small towns where almost everyone owns firearms,have been around them all of their lives,and can handle them properly and accuratly.In some of these towns i can tell you why there is almost no crime....1.Everyone is armed and others know it....2.No gang problems like in big cities...3.Not many drug problems or dealers....4.If something bad does happen the citizens do not sit around like a bunch of lib dems waiting for some authority figure to come hand out a slap on the wrist or some stern words...5.The people know each other and watch out for each other.

Im not saying this about all places down south hell im originally from New Orleans,just saying us simple country folk can have guns,stay alive,and have a thought or two every now and then without gov help or ranting and raving about gun control   ;)

With that said it just seems odd to me that our gov is so worried about its own citizens being armed when they have been giving millions in aid for many years to countries like NK.Surely all that money went to help the average citizens eat?Surely it didnt go to help build up arms and feed troops that could one day give us more problems than some lone maniac with a gun?   :o

I grew up in a small town where not even half the population is armed, hell I'm sure about a quarter of the population owns a weapon. We still had a very low crime rate, same with all the small towns around me. The larger (yet still small by Yankee Standards) Cities still had relatively low crime rates even though a good chunk of the population was not armed. So having a well armed population doesn't seem to directly correlate to having a safe population.

Honestly I believe it has to do with the culture of Violence and poor social system in the US, such as the poor education system which forgets about people. Why is crime such a massive problem in the US Today. IF the US spent more money on public education paying teachers properly, rebuilding schools, making a kids time in school worth while with more programs. Then I'm sure the number of drop outs would reduce, the number of kids in gangs would fall.

People need to realize that you can only protect yourself with a gun if you are faster then the person who drew on you.

View PostMiskatonicGrad, on 04 April 2013 - 06:53 AM, said:

So are you suggesting if we give up our guns the criminals will also? :w00t:

As too why crime is so high that's freaking simple. they do it because they know they can get away with it and if they do get caught the worst they face is three hots, a cot, free cable, free gym, free clothes, free school, and a free shrink to tell them they are a product of their enviroment and not a bad person.

No that its not what I'm saying. What I am saying is if Criminals want to rob you they will. How good is your gun in your holster if there is a gun in your back? Pretty useless. It will also make criminals more dangerous. Because it will turn into a real life or death fight for both sides. Gangs will get more powerful guns, such as more automatics etc. I can just see bad things happening.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with firearms, however I do not think people should be walking around with guns on there hips. Eventually this will end badly for some innocent person.

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

#12    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,112 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostThanato, on 04 April 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

What I am saying is if Criminals want to rob you they will. How good is your gun in your holster if there is a gun in your back? Pretty useless. It will also make criminals more dangerous. Because it will turn into a real life or death fight for both sides. Gangs will get more powerful guns, such as more automatics etc. I can just see bad things happening.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with firearms, however I do not think people should be walking around with guns on there hips. Eventually this will end badly for some innocent person.

~Thanato
i guess it is nice to live in denial.real world proves everything you say, wrong.
there are less crimes in areas where ppl aremed, many ppl don't become victims, and often turn tables around on criminals that try to assault them. becouse of guns. those are the facts, argue all you want, but your opinion, is contradicted by reality.
all yours what if situations, are more in your head than anywhere else. not to mention idiotic mentality, "if i don't resist a robber he wont hurt me", that you keep advocating.

Edited by aztek, 04 April 2013 - 02:55 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#13    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,112 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostArbenol68, on 04 April 2013 - 01:10 AM, said:

The relationship between violent crime and gun ownership is not as clear cut as the OP would like to think. Looking past the provided link to the original ABC report reveals a bit more.

"Florida statistics show murderers are increasingly using firearms. Between 2000 and 2005, Florida's firearm-involved murder rate never topped 3.5 per 100,000 residents. Every year since, it has exceeded that number. And in 2011, for the first time on record, guns were used in more than 70 percent of homicides".

Read more: http://www.abc15.com...p#ixzz2PS7JAyfr

It seems that whatever your stance on gun control, you can find some statistic to back up your opinion.

actually it is very clear, and your facts prove it. all very logical actually.]
since florida enacted SYG law ppl are not afraid to use their legal guns, to protect themselves from attacs, they are not afraid of legal problems they would otherwise face, so they kill those that try to rob\rape\assult them. nothing wrong with shootings as long as right people get shot. that is why you see more homicides using guns. (too bad they call any murder himicide, even justified shootings. or may be it is not convinient for gun hatters"crime figters" to reveal details)
if legal system can't prevent attacs on ppl, and police can't protect people everytime\anywhere, it is a crime not to let ppl protect themselves. and florida realised it, and it shows that it works. so yea, good for floridians.

Edited by aztek, 04 April 2013 - 03:15 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#14    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,153 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

View Postaztek, on 04 April 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

i guess it is nice to live in denial.real world proves everything you say, wrong.
there are less crimes in areas where ppl aremed, many ppl don't become victims, and often turn tables around on criminals that try to assault them. becouse of guns. those are the facts, argue all you want, but your opinion, is contradicted by reality.
all yours what if situations, are more in your head than anywhere else. not to mention idiotic mentality, "if i don't resist a robber he wont hurt me", that you keep advocating.

Real world proves the guy with the biggest stick is King. If you want to live in the 'Wild West' feel free, but I'm glad I live in a Nation which isn't afraid to go outside. People don't need to carry guns because they arn't threatened. Sure we have our bad areas but they pale in comparison to the United States. Now ask yourself why is that? Why does my nation have 1 gun per 3 peoples yet we don't have nearly the gun crime you guys do?

Your facts are only apparent in the United States. In many nations, more guns = more crime and death. In many nations people are safe with out the need to carry a gun. There is something wrong with the US, deep down society is sick. You can't keep bandaging the problem by throwing in more weapons. You guys need to realize that your society needs to change. Fix your problems. Spend less on your military (you know cut 300 billion and put that into Schools, Science, Healthcare, NASA.) You guys need to solve this big issue. But unfortinatly people feel the need to buy more guns... more guns... more guns...  There is nothing wrong with owning guns, for hunting, leisure etc. But to have tens of millions of people believe that the only way they can feel safe is to be armed to the teeth. That shows there is something wrong.

~Thanato

#15    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

I have three guns in my house and no crime. Works for me.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users