Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Earth's helium reserves will run out within

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16    socrates.junior

socrates.junior

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

• Nothing is worse than active ignorance. - Goethe

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

To be more precise, they got the supply from tritium decay. No more nuclear weapons, means no more tritium, means no more helium.

I love argument, I love debate. I don't expect anyone to just sit there and agree with me, that's not their job. -Margaret Thatcher

#17    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,293 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:42 PM

View Postsocrates.junior, on 25 August 2010 - 06:35 PM, said:

To be more precise, they got the supply from tritium decay. No more nuclear weapons, means no more tritium, means no more helium.

The few pounds you get out of nuclear weapons really does not make any difference in the big picture. Balloon fliers use more every year.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#18    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,472 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 25 August 2010 - 06:31 PM, said:

From the gas and dust cloud of which the earth condensed. To do it again we would have to start a new Big Bang.
Surely everything has its origins then. And if the figure quoted by Wiky Pedia is right, there'd seem to be more than enough to go round. One suspects that this is just another attempt by American big business to monopolise the world's supply of something.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#19    Mac E

Mac E

Mass Confuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

• If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:27 PM

View Post747400, on 25 August 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Surely everything has its origins then. And if the figure quoted by Wiky Pedia is right, there'd seem to be more than enough to go round. One suspects that this is just another attempt by American big business to monopolise the world's supply of something.

Yes, but it is a matter of economics as well.  Is it cost efficient to exctract it?  We have been using the best and most cost efficient sources and when that is gone, the price will go up as it will become harder to obtain.

In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.

Martin Rees (1942) Astrophysicist

#20    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,795 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:04 PM

From what I read about Helium on Wikipedia, it is mostly produced by seperating it from natural gas, where it is created by natural radioactive decay. About 7% by mass is what it says. So as long as we have natural gas, we have helium. And from what I have read the natural gas supplies are expected to last 100 more years with the supply we know of now, at least in the USA.

Edited by DieChecker, 25 August 2010 - 10:04 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#21    greggK

greggK

Poltergeist

• 2,756 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:13 PM

All of you scientific minded people, fill a balloon with helium and what does it do?  People are getting more obese now, right?  Why?  Do you think that if they were taller they would be less obese or not at all?  Start pumping helium into the atmosphere.

It is me!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users