Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Colorado introduces landmark gun laws

Still Waters

The US state of Colorado has tightened its gun laws, to impose limits on the size of ammunition magazines and expand background checks for gun buyers.

It comes exactly eight months after a massacre at a cinema in Aurora, Colorado, that left 12 people dead.

Relatives of the victims saw Governor John Hickenlooper sign the bills.

It makes Colorado the second state after New York to pass gun control measures since 26 people were shot dead at a school in Connecticut in December.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-21865117

And this will do absolutely nothing to fix the problem...

But I guess they felt they had to do something to get that superior "I did something you ignorant peasants were too stupid to do" warm and cuddly feeling...

• Like 8

Ammunition magazines with more than 15 rounds will be banned in the state. The bills take effect in July.

15 rounds?! WTF? How about 5 rounds or less Colorado?

These people are so full of crap.

Edit: C'moooon! Lol.

Edited by Purifier
  • Like 1

Well, I'm still taking my 17 round Beretta on my trips there this summer.

• Like 1

thats good news isn`t it? so now there will tighter background checks on all the criminals buyi.................on wait!!

• Like 8

15 rounds?! WTF? How about 5 rounds or less Colorado?

These people are so full of crap.

Edit: C'moooon! Lol.

The (US) Army standard for changing a 20/30 round magazine in combat is 8 seconds or less... While a civilian shooter might not be able to quite match that time, it really doesn't take much longer... plenty of time to change magazines while walking down a deserted school hallway while everyone is trying to hide from you... Like I said... this law will change nothing...

• Like 5

They're worried about violent gun crimes in a state that legalized marijuana...?

post-108992-0-96744700-1363884483_thumb.

Edited by Rye17

The (US) Army standard for changing a 20/30 round magazine in combat is 8 seconds or less... While a civilian shooter might not be able to quite match that time, it really doesn't take much longer... plenty of time to change magazines while walking down a deserted school hallway while everyone is trying to hide from you... Like I said... this law will change nothing...

I do agree that mag restrictions are the least helpful thing to do. Having said that, it does mean the shooter will be carrying less ammo overall most likely.

• Like 1

I don't think most criminals buy guns by legal means anyway.

• Like 6

I do agree that mag restrictions are the least helpful thing to do. Having said that, it does mean the shooter will be carrying less ammo overall most likely.

You can pack a lot of 15 round magazines in a school back pack... And they wouldn't weigh all that much either with smaller caliber (like 5.56mm/223)...

• Like 1

I don't think most criminals buy guns by legal means anyway.

Nope, at they certainly don't stick to the law with the magazine size etc either. lol

• Like 5

I get the feeling they didn't intend to change anything, Taun. But just make themselves look good.

Adding to what Taun said, this as well:

Unless the shooter knows the "tape two or three magazines together trick", won't take long to switch (probably even less then 8 seconds) the homemade dual clip around and keep on squeezing the trigger.

• Like 2

This is SO very stupid! Gun Laws, Background checks, and the lot are all a laughable measure in stopping these crimes! Most of you know my background with that being said, I know first hand, how little this will do. Which criminal buys a firearm legally? Which criminal will follow these moronic restrictions on magazine size? Lets take for example the war on drugs. We made Heroin, Coke, etc illegal. That has worked wonders hasn't it?!

Honestly, if you view statistics of communities where the population have their CCW, and/or own firearms in their homes, crimes go DOWN. Criminals feed off the weak. A thief is NOT going to break in to a home, or mug someone whom they know has a firearm. Even without statistics, common sense shows this.

• Like 5

gun_control.png

:tu:

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 5

The one positive thing that backround checks do is that a person with an already detected mental disorder (I mean serious disorder - not something non violent) could be stopped from legally getting a weapon...

Other than that all it really serves to do is to make a data base of who owns what...

You can pack a lot of 15 round magazines in a school back pack... And they wouldn't weigh all that much either with smaller caliber (like 5.56mm/223)...

Oh, I quite agree. I was just saying that ammo restrictions would reduce the number of bullets a shooter is carrying. For example, my work vest holds 4 mags. If the mags are pinned to 15 rounds, then I have half the amount of ammo I normally would.

The one positive thing that backround checks do is that a person with an already detected mental disorder (I mean serious disorder - not something non violent) could be stopped from legally getting a weapon...

Other than that all it really serves to do is to make a data base of who owns what...

If they are included in the check when one of the family members buys ones. Adam Lanza did not need a gun licence or any checks, he used his mothers gun.

• Like 1

If they are included in the check when one of the family members buys ones. Adam Lanza did not need a gun licence or any checks, he used his mothers gun.

That's why I said "legally getting a weapon"... But I agree completely...

• Like 2

That's why I said "legally getting a weapon"... But I agree completely...

i do not know how these laws work, do they look at the family too when one of the members want to buy a gun?

i do not know how these laws work, do they look at the family too when one of the members want to buy a gun?

I'm not sure... I would think that since it's a Police report (essentially) that they are looking at, your last name and residence would trigger some kind of alarm if (for example) Jeffery Dahmer were a close relative... But I really don't know...

personnally I do not own a fire arm... I had two but my ex-fiance had a son who got into everything so to prevent a terrible accident, I got rid of them - personnal choice - plus I got really tired of lugging one around all the time while I was in Iraq... Now when they start wanting to register and take away my swords....

Edited by Taun

No. Good God, could you imagine what that would entail? Where would it stop? Third cousins?

Another state going down the crap hole. I love America, but **** our government.

At least they are standing up against the NRA...money thieves

If there is a felon living in the household it's illegal to have a gun.

• Like 2