Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A sighting i recently encountered

FollowTheTrail

Hey there folks. I just want to share a story that took place recently (about a month ago).

It was some minutes after midnight and i went up to my home's terrace to listen to some music from my mp3 player. I like going up there, because it's quiet and it does help me relax. Anyways, i was there for a while, until i looked up in the night sky and i saw something that seemed strange. It wasn't there before and it clearly wasn't a star, since it wasn't twinkling. It was like a spherical point with a considerable size (not big, but also not tiny) and its color was close to orange. That caught my attention and the more i was looking at it, the more i was wondering what it could be. Suddenly, that thing started moving. It was going very slowly and sometime after a few moments it stopped, stayed still and then disappeared. It just disappeared all of a sudden from the sky without leaving any trace.

The question, about what that could be, is puzzling me since.What do you think it was? Does anyone want to tell their opinion about that? It was really weird and i just can't figure it out!

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a weather balloon or a satellite? Some fireworks can drift for hours while lit up too.

• Like 1

Hey there folks. I just want to share a story that took place recently (about a month ago).

It was some minutes after midnight and i went up to my home's terrace to listen to some music from my mp3 player. I like going up there, because it's quiet and it does help me relax. Anyways, i was there for a while, until i looked up in the night sky and i saw something that seemed strange. It wasn't there before and it clearly wasn't a star, since it wasn't twinkling. It was like a spherical point with a considerable size (not big, but also not tiny) and its color was close to orange. That caught my attention and the more i was looking at it, the more i was wondering what it could be. Suddenly, that thing started moving. It was going very slowly and sometime after a few moments it stopped, stayed still and then disappeared. It just disappeared all of a sudden from the sky without leaving any trace.

The question, about what that could be, is puzzling me since.What do you think it was? Does anyone want to tell their opinion about that? It was really weird and i just can't figure it out!

I probably don't have an answer to what it could be, but this sounds almost like an experience I had many years ago. It had to be around the early to mid eighties, and I know it was on a Saturday night. I was a teen living home with my family when this happened. I know it was a Saturday night, because I was up watching Saturday Day Night Live with my youngest brother. All of a sudden the power went out. We were the only ones up, so we figure let's call it a night. He went up to his bedroom upstairs, and I went to mine on that floor. Because it was dark and to me, kind of creepy, I grabbed a pillow and a blanket and went up to the living room, (lived in a split-entry) and bedded down on the couch that was backed up to the huge bay window. While sitting there looking out into the darkened neighborhood, I noticed something bright orange hanging around the tree tops across the street. I first thought it was the moon, but figured it was too low and this too started moving slowly. I couldn't tell what it was, because it was slightly hidden in the tree tops. I watched it disappear and then I fell a sleep. Told my youngest brother my experience, and he laughed at me.

Funny enough, years later, he remembered my story and with actual interest took me that part of the living room to tell him that story again. Found out, he had himself his own story to tell, seeing unexplained lights while leaving his job during the night. His experience was totally different in what he saw to mine, but this made him interested in mine now.

My question to you is, was there any power outages in your area at the time?

Chinese Lanterns....

http://m.bbc.com/new...gazine-23129276

I really don't know whether it was some kind of firework or a Chinese Lantern. It was too high on the sky to be distinguished, despite its size. But i can't discount the possibility to be one of those Chinese Lanterns either. The question though is why was it still for a while and then started moving all of a sudden?
  • Like 1

I probably don't have an answer to what it could be, but this sounds almost like an experience I had many years ago. It had to be around the early to mid eighties, and I know it was on a Saturday night. I was a teen living home with my family when this happened. I know it was a Saturday night, because I was up watching Saturday Day Night Live with my youngest brother. All of a sudden the power went out. We were the only ones up, so we figure let's call it a night. He went up to his bedroom upstairs, and I went to mine on that floor. Because it was dark and to me, kind of creepy, I grabbed a pillow and a blanket and went up to the living room, (lived in a split-entry) and bedded down on the couch that was backed up to the huge bay window. While sitting there looking out into the darkened neighborhood, I noticed something bright orange hanging around the tree tops across the street. I first thought it was the moon, but figured it was too low and this too started moving slowly. I couldn't tell what it was, because it was slightly hidden in the tree tops. I watched it disappear and then I fell a sleep. Told my youngest brother my experience, and he laughed at me.

Funny enough, years later, he remembered my story and with actual interest took me that part of the living room to tell him that story again. Found out, he had himself his own story to tell, seeing unexplained lights while leaving his job during the night. His experience was totally different in what he saw to mine, but this made him interested in mine now.

My question to you is, was there any power outages in your area at the time?

No, everything was normal. The lights of the other buildings were on.

Maybe the light you saw at the moment was a flashlight, which was being held by one of the neighbors in the building across the street. It was only your home, which had a power outage, or had it been a power outage in all the other buildings around yours?

I really don't know whether it was some kind of firework or a Chinese Lantern. It was too high on the sky to be distinguished, despite its size. But i can't discount the possibility to be one of those Chinese Lanterns either. The question though is why was it still for a while and then started moving all of a sudden?

wind maybe....?

• Like 1

Was it a planet (Venus, Mars, Jupiter)? A satellite or a plane flying directly away or towards you?

• Like 1

Was it a planet (Venus, Mars, Jupiter)? A satellite or a plane flying directly away or towards you?

If it was a plane like usual, why did it stay still for a while? Also, i think i had once read that a satellite could reflect the light of the sun for a short while, but i really don't know if that would be feasible at that time.......

If it was a plane like usual, why did it stay still for a while? Also, i think i had once read that a satellite could reflect the light of the sun for a short while, but i really don't know if that would be feasible at that time.......

That's how we see satellites...

Try HeavensAbove to check what was passing over your location at the time

No, everything was normal. The lights of the other buildings were on.

Maybe the light you saw at the moment was a flashlight, which was being held by one of the neighbors in the building across the street. It was only your home, which had a power outage, or had it been a power outage in all the other buildings around yours?

it seemed wide spread. It definately was out through my whole neighborhood. I didn't one lights from houses or street lights on. It was too big and too high to be a flashlight. I thought it was an orange moon really low on the horizon half hidden by trees, unti I noticed it was moving too fast to be the moon.

Thank you for telling me there was power on your end. The reason I asked, was I read something simular and there was a power outage too. So this is very curious.

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright

• 3 weeks later...

I actually have a fairly good idea what it may have been as i experienced something similar. Was it a brighjt orangish ball? Do you live either within about 30 KM of an airport or somehwere where airplanes change direction? I saw a big bright ornage ball outside at night in the sky and then it shrunk and turned into a dot of light which seemed to dissapear and flash around quickly in a small area. I saw the same thing later that night in the same place and eventually figured out it was an airplane's headlights when it was flying directly towards me and the plane was turning to start its approach to the airport.