Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Secret "batplane" filmed

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#121    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 26 February 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

then what does one say if one has seen something like the object illustrated (the metallic sphere) that does look very much as if it is flying? Many people have, Sweetpumper, i believe, among them. Might it be not actually what it looks like, i.e. a metallic sphere, but actually some kind of energy?

Then one still should expect some propulsion of some kind. if it is some kind of energy, then the question is moot. It does by no means negate what I said.

Edited by TheSearcher, 26 February 2013 - 10:13 AM.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#122    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

• Proud Member of the Geriatric Squadron
    Proud Member of the Thinking Class

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

View PostSweetpumper, on 25 February 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

Can this fly?

Posted Image
A steel ball bearing such as the one pictured can only be launched as a ballistic projectile.  I supposed what happens could be considered flight but not by any realistic definition.

Whirled Infamous Author and all around really strange person
Not a complete idiot.  Some pieces are missing.

One of UM's Happy Mutants

#123    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• 1,741 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

View PostTheSearcher, on 25 February 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

Unless it has some kind of propulsion, no it cannot. Funnily enough it's not even the most aerodynamic shape either. The most aerodynamic shape would be a Sears–Haack body, Kludge probably will be able to confirm that, or correct me if I'm wrong.

They look kinda like this :
Posted Image
While what you're showing cylindrical, the shape is correct.  Take a projection of the profile and you create an ideal high performance wing section as used on many fighters etc today.  The F-104 Starfighter (aka: Missile with a man in it) had leading edges sharp enough that they had to be padded while being serviced or in maintenance to protect people on the ground as well as the surfaces.  While not the first airplane to use it, it did use that airfoil to great advantage.

#124    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• 1,741 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

View Postzenfahr, on 25 February 2013 - 10:45 PM, said:

Ya'll say its fake... its an RC toy, or my fav... if you know anything about aerodynamics you know that it is a hoax.  Soooooo RC toy that fly's YET defies the physics of Aerodynamics.  Chances are, its what it appears to be... an experimental craft. Probably soon to be declassified if its being flown in day light.
Is it?  Do you have definitive proof of that?  Or are you looking at the cover and not reading the book?

A few pages back, someone checked frames in the video and discovered that there are frames with the sky but no aircraft.  That says CGI.  A CGI "aircraft" doesn't fly.  All it has to do is stand still to be videoed with the camera moving.  Even better, it doesn't even have to exist if one's a decent 3D artist.  Even if it was done using a green screen (You know how that works, right?), the frames won't sync perfectly unless one has terribly high end software & hardware and there will be dropped frames in one or the other of the videos when they're merged.  There are several reasons this happens including the fact that home video equipment and software isn't perfect or even great but rather is "good enough" to work while still remaining competitive in the market.  (This is also why I stay with Canon cameras and a mix of software including Adobe.  They tend to set the bar a little higher.)

So, yes, I call hoax.

#125    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• 1,741 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 26 February 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

then what does one say if one has seen something like the object illustrated (the metallic sphere) that does look very much as if it is flying? Many people have, Sweetpumper, i believe, among them. Might it be not actually what it looks like, i.e. a metallic sphere, but actually some kind of energy?
Okay, so what you're saying is that if it's not the metal sphere shown but rather a ball of energy or even a silvered mylar balloon then it's a whole new ballgame.  You're right, it is.  Sooo ... the new question is, what did it actually look like and how did it behave?  Actually, there are other questions but that's a good start.

#126    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

View PostKludge808, on 27 February 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

A steel ball bearing such as the one pictured can only be launched as a ballistic projectile.  I supposed what happens could be considered flight but not by any realistic definition.

Well, it wasn't launched, wasn't 'energy' (it looked just like that pic), certainly flew from a standstill position, was fast enough to break the sound barrier but didn't, and was the size of a mini-van.  So, I guess the only question is what it was and what kind of propulsion it used.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#127    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• 1,741 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 27 February 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

Well, it wasn't launched, wasn't 'energy' (it looked just like that pic), certainly flew from a standstill position, was fast enough to break the sound barrier but didn't, and was the size of a mini-van.  So, I guess the only question is what it was and what kind of propulsion it used.
Rockets such as those launched at Cape Canaveral don't fly by definition.  Instead they are lifted by pure directed thrust from gimbal-mounted engines underneath, the direction of which is fine tuned to control the direction of travel.  Balloons don't fly by definition but rather are lifted due to a lighter/lower density mass inside than outside making them lighter than air.  Controlling that mass, as with hot air balloons, allows some altitude control but direction is entirely up to the wind.

What the object you witnessed did wasn't flight by definition but rather it was propelled by some directed means to accomplish what it did.  As to what it was and how it accomplished what it did, the only answer I can offer is "unknown."

#128    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

The definition of flight is exactly what it was.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#129    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

The whole thing is "unknown".

#130    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,082 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

What we seem to be arguing about is flight, in aerodyanmic terms, vis-a-vis being able to counteract gravity. It would sugegst very firmly that your sighting, if it was an artificial object, could seem to do the latter. The only man-made object that might be likely to hover silently would be a Balloon, but Balloons can rarely do the other things that it did. Therefore that would seem to have to be some pretty exotic technology.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#131    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

For something to move that fast and the way it did, I'd say yes, something that counteracts gravity. It left no trail, no sign anything had been hovering or had ever flown by. Weird stuff.

Edited by Sweetpumper, 27 February 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#132    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• 1,741 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 27 February 2013 - 09:02 PM, said:

What we seem to be arguing about is flight, in aerodyanmic terms,vis-a-vis being able to counteract gravity.
Gravity can be counteracted by lift which is flight by definition or by other means.

In aerodynamics, there are precisely four forces working on an airplane in two opposing pairs.  Pair one is lift and gravity.  Pair two is thrust and drag.  For straight and level flight, each pair has to be in balance.  Change any one of them and the airplane will take on a different attitude.  It can get a little complicated due to the vectors involved when not in straight and level flight but not a whole lot.  Well, not if you have a handle on vector math. :D

It would sugegst very firmly that your sighting, if it was an artificial object, could seem to do the latter. The only man-made object that might be likely to hover silently would be a Balloon, but Balloons can rarely do the other things that it did. Therefore that would seem to have to be some pretty exotic technology.
It is "by other means" to be sure.  What those means are remains unknown.

#133    rpclennon

rpclennon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:29 AM

Does the president or any president know what's going on at area 51,and why it's never mentioned

#134    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:34 AM

View Postrpclennon, on 01 March 2013 - 01:29 AM, said:

Does the president or any president know what's going on at area 51,and why it's never mentioned

Presidents usually don't go public about Top Secrets sites.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#135    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,246 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

I'd suggest you google "area 51 bill clinton"..  :D

All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

"Like the JFK assassination conspiracy theories, the UFO issue probably will not go away soon, no matter what the CIA does or says. The belief that we are not alone in the universe is too emotionally appealing and the distrust of our government is too pervasive to make the issue amenable to traditional scientific studies or rational explanation and evidence." - Gerald K Haines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users