Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

have stopped recieving email notifications.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,449 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:26 AM

It's been a few weeks now that I've stopped receiving e-mail notifications..
Have checked my settings, everything seems fine, plus my e-mail or antivirus hasn't changed or anything..

Just wondering if it's an issue with UM, and not my ISP or Computer?

Or if anyone else has had this issue..

#2    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,014 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

Check your spam/junk folders in case your e-mail software has been filtering them in to there.

#3    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,449 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

I've checked my junk/spam folders. Also checked my antivirus, no issues with both.

The problem is that I haven't been receiving any e-mails from UM at all, they're not even arriving.. Ironically, though it may not be connected, this started about the same time the advertising in the text fields appeared on UM..

#4    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,014 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

All I can suggest really is to make sure that the e-mail address on your account is correct and that you have your e-mail notifications set up the way you want them. Nothing's changed with regard to e-mail sending on this end and notification messages do appear to be arriving.

#5    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,030 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 19 September 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

I've checked my junk/spam folders. Also checked my antivirus, no issues with both.

The problem is that I haven't been receiving any e-mails from UM at all, they're not even arriving.. Ironically, though it may not be connected, this started about the same time the advertising in the text fields appeared on UM..

Have you run a malware scan? Your mentioning of the advertising in the text fields is a familiar tune. I can't recall what I did to fix that problem either.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#6    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,014 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

That's a point, what did you mean by advertising in the "text fields" ?

#7    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,030 posts

Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

When it happened to me, random words appeared as links in the text area of posts. *shrugs*

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#8    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,014 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

That's a type of advertising we've been running on and off for years, it only appears to unregistered guest users.

#9    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,449 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:55 AM

I haven't run a malware scan, but Ironically I just received my first UM email notification in weeks..

What I meant by advertising was the underlined links in the text that we write in the forums..
It only appears when you are not logged in.. And is very annoying if, like me, you follow the text with your mouse when you read..

Edited to add..
Dunno if it's related, but at around the same time as this started, all of my notifications stopped working for a few days, that included notifications for likes & quotes..

Hmmmmm, Child of Bast sent me a PM and I received an Email notification for that... But Sarah has also responded to another thread I follow and I got no email notification..

This to me suggests issue isn't at my end?

Any thoughts?

Edited by Professor T, 20 September 2013 - 04:01 AM.

#10    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,014 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

Looking at your account settings, you don't actually have any notification method set up at all for "Notification method to use for replies to followed topics" which is what determines if you are notified when someone responds to a topic you are following.

You need to check the "email" box for that one in order to receive the e-mails.

#11    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,842 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 19 September 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

When it happened to me, random words appeared as links in the text area of posts. *shrugs*

.. that has happened to me when i wasn't signed in...      ... sign in ..  FIXED.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#12    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,449 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostSaru, on 20 September 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

Looking at your account settings, you don't actually have any notification method set up at all for "Notification method to use for replies to followed topics" which is what determines if you are notified when someone responds to a topic you are following.

Thanks.. not sure how that happened?
Have ticked the box..

#13    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,030 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

View Postlightly, on 20 September 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

.. that has happened to me when i wasn't signed in...   ... sign in ..  FIXED.

That was happening to me when I was signed in...

#14    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,449 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:32 AM

View PostSaru, on 20 September 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

Thanks Saru..

This has done the trick.. Am not sure how/why it got changed, but I'm receiving email notifications now so I'm pretty much back on board..

:tu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users