Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Japan experts to OK animal-human embryos test

animal-human embryos

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

View Postdanielost, on 23 June 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

You said that the children of parents who don't like the organs grown in pigs, should not make said choice for the kids.  In otherwards transplant organs over parentel wishes.
then the choice should be given to the child in question, it is after all, their life.
'hi kid, wanna die?'
'no sir.'
'cool. have this kidney.'
not difficult really.....

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#17    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,154 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

View Postdanielost, on 23 June 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

I think god is guiding the hands of the scientests.

Hopefully granting them wisdom as well as knowledge.

View PostFrank Merton, on 23 June 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

I wonder if those whose religion prohibits pork would be able to accept a transplant from a pig.

Well, we already use the heart valves from pigs in open heart surgery. How do these religions deal with that if it's a matter of life or death?

#18    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

View PostSundew, on 23 June 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

Well, we already use the heart valves from pigs in open heart surgery. How do these religions deal with that if it's a matter of life or death?
very poorly I should imagine sundew.
there's a thread on here about a jehova's witness couple who let not one, but TWO of their children die after refusing medical treatment for them.
it seems that some religions have a long way to go before they catch up with reason & sanity.....

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#19    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,154 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

View Postshrooma, on 23 June 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

if only other believers thought that way too daniel.....

Well, as a believer who loves both God and science I can only say that modern technology is not free from ethical concerns. When my father lay dying, his brain apparently dead and in and advanced age, my sister and I were put in the difficult decision as to disconnect life support or not. Fortunately that decision was taken out of our hands when he passed away in the night.

For example, when we use the lines of approved embryos for research, we are in effect, killing potential human beings. We destroy one life to potentially save others. Whether we use a dozen such lines or a million it is still the same ethical question, and I am not arguing for or against here; only stating that it has moral and ethical concerns that should be considered.

Science as it advances will continue to put us in these dilemmas: Do you clone an extinct animal if you have no habitat for it and it will only exist in a zoo? Do you use genetically modified foods to feed the starving masses while at the same time creating monocultures that may become susceptible to a disease, causing a repeat of something like the Irish Potato Famine and thus starvation on a global scale? And do you replace most wild or heirloom food stocks with GMO organisms because you think they are "better"? Do you clone a human being to act as an organ donor, we do have two kidneys after all, but only one heart; do humans become their own "parts store" and would clones have rights? Do you try to colonize the other bodies in the solar system like the Moon or Mars when we have so many problems on Earth and are nearly bankrupt?

Therefore, in all these technologies I hope that the scientists do not simply think that God will, in the words of Douglas Adams, "Vanish in a puff of logic," but be cognizant of the fact that their actions are laying the ground work for the future and they will, in one way or another, be accountable for their actions. Sir Isaac Newton had a vision of the future. So did Adolf Hitler.

#20    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

View Postshrooma, on 23 June 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

if only other believers thought that way too daniel.....

Everyone has the right to believe what they want, at least in the usa.  As for some religion choices, the muslims believe just the act of touching a pig will send them to hell.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#21    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

View Postshrooma, on 23 June 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:

then the choice should be given to the child in question, it is after all, their life.
'hi kid, wanna die?'
'no sir.'
'cool. have this kidney.'
not difficult really.....

Until they look to mom or dad.

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#22    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

Japanese have been primed for this for years, as even a quick glimpse at manga will show. So probably some Cat/Human hybrid soon to be seen prowling in downtown Tokyo.....

#23    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

When I first read the title to this story, I interpreted it as scientists in Japan received permission to create human/animal hybrids or something to that effect.... I'm not saying I'm dissapointed but we all would have had a lot more to talk about.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#24    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

The bible says not eat blood. Jehovah witnesses see this as any foregn blood entering their bodies.  Like ivs.

#25    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 10,449 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:15 AM

View Postshrooma, on 23 June 2013 - 04:25 AM, said:

so do I sundew.
the only ethical objections so far are of the 'scientists playing god' type, which is why a lot of stem cell research on humans is banned outright, but believe me, if it were THEIR children dying from something that could be cured by grown organs, the protesters would be the first ones kicking down the lab doors to get some!
when children are dying, NOT researching the best way to save them is unethical in my eyes.
it's unethical in the eyes of everyone WITH eyes!
save the dying, and let the naysayers be damned.....
Why is it always about "the children" dying?

I'd like a new pancreas myself.  I seem to have worn out my original.

Also, under a controlled laboratory environment, we wouldn't need to worry about giving animal diseases to humans.

The only downside I see is that the pigs feelings are not being considered here.  However, since pig's feelings are seldom, if ever, considered, that shouldn't be a hangup, right?

After all, we give smoked pig ears to our dogs.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Anybody like Coleridge?

#26    izybess

izybess

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

Combine this with the head transplant and we are all going to be very Frankenstein looking lol

#27    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:52 AM

A clone is only identical to the doner until they have different expearences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users