Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[merged] Hydrothermal Activity on Enceladus

Waspie_Dwarf

Spacecraft Data Suggest Saturn Moon's Ocean May Harbor Hydrothermal Activity

NASA's Cassini spacecraft has provided scientists the first clear evidence that Saturn’s moon Enceladus exhibits signs of present-day hydrothermal activity which may resemble that seen in the deep oceans on Earth. The implications of such activity on a world other than our planet open up unprecedented scientific possibilities.

“These findings add to the possibility that Enceladus, which contains a subsurface ocean and displays remarkable geologic activity, could contain environments suitable for living organisms,” said John Grunsfeld astronaut and associate administrator of NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington. “The locations in our solar system where extreme environments occur in which life might exist may bring us closer to answering the question: are we alone in the Universe.”

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 5

Thats very interesting

I wonder if we find an environment suitable for life on any of the gas giant's moons, what that might mean for reevaluating the Goldilocks zone regarding other planetary systems. Maybe habitable planets, dwarf planets or moons, are a lot more common then current thinking suggests.

• Like 2

There are hot springs on Enceladus, and they could trigger life

The only hot springs ever discovered outside Earth.

It looks like Saturn’s icy moon Enceladus has an active hydrothermal system, which is heating a warm ocean at its southern pole, scientists have discovered.

Read more here: http://www.scienceal...tarted-on-earth

• Like 1

I know, I've been going there to get away from it all for years. You know, the crowds, people, breathable atmosphere, the Sun, the Kardashians and other annoying things.

Cassini is one truly remarkable machine to be able to do so much science in such a dynamic planetary system for so long is amazing.

Edited by Merc14

Is it really considered alien life if it's alive and viable in our own solar system around our sun? I mean nobody is 100% certain if life even started on earth. It could've been seeded from a comet within our solar system or seeded via a Mars meteorite that was jeticined to earth from a collision. Or even another solar body. I feel any life found in our Sun's system is recognizable and mostly familiar life and not alien at all. In fact that life could've evolved on the particular solar body in question via an earth impact and seeded that way. I won't be surprised when simple life forms are discovered in our solar system. It's when its found outside of our system around another sun that I'll be excited.

Is it really considered alien life if it's alive and viable in our own solar system around our sun?

Is it on Earth?

If the answer is no then quite obviously it's alien life.

Where it originated is irrelevant, the fact that it would be life on a world other than Earth would be just about the most important discovery in scietific history.

The fact that it doesn't excite you is also, quite frankly, totally irrelevant.

• Like 2

Is it on Earth?

If the answer is no then quite obviously it's alien life.

Where it originated is irrelevant, the fact that it would be life on a world other than Earth would be just about the most important discovery in scietific history.

The fact that it doesn't excite you is also, quite frankly, totally irrelevant.

I still maintain that any life found within our solar system is based off our Sun's unique chemistry and probably has shared characteristics with organisms here on Earth. Life in another part of the galaxy and others would be phenomenal news. Of course I'll be excited to hear the news we all expect. I apply the Gaia theory to our Sun and all of its children :)

I still maintain that any life found within our solar system is based off our Sun's unique chemistry and probably has shared characteristics with organisms here on Earth. Life in another part of the galaxy and others would be phenomenal news. Of course I'll be excited to hear the news we all expect. I apply the Gaia theory to our Sun and all of its children :)

What does extraterrestrial mean?

I'm not saying it wouldn't be extraordinary, but life in our solar system would be nothing but a cousin of our planet's known life....because of the chemistry of our sun and our locality in the Milky Way. When life is discovered outside of our friendly solar system, then it's time to question everything.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be extraordinary, but life in our solar system would be nothing but a cousin of our planet's known life....because of the chemistry of our sun and our locality in the Milky Way. When life is discovered outside of our friendly solar system, then it's time to question everything.

You have absolutely no way of knowing that Atuke! How absurd to make an assumption of that magnitude in such a dismissive way! This is not the cryptology forum, it is the science section and you are already wrong from the beginning. Any life that exists off this planet is extraterrestrial, period, and where it came from doesn't change the fact that it exists off this planet.

You are making assumptions, here, that are so immense in importance, with such a nonchalant attitude, that I have to ask why are you are even posting in this section? Proof of life on a celestial body other than the earth is the greatest question we have to answer right now. How that life started will take a much longer time to answer but I hope you understand the ramifications of that discovery.

I honestly hope to live to see this happen before my time is ended but let's stick to the facts here and not drift into fantasy.

Edited by Merc14

Merc...not fantasy at all! I know you are intelligent without asking so you have to assume that there is life in our solar system other than Earth. Why? Because of our Sun! I believe our solar system might be unique, not just the Earth. The chemistry is there throughout the solar system for life to exist. Primitive life but it's still life.

Anyway I'll go back to slumming in the crypto forums. Bigfoot is a bigger mystery anyway.

Merc...not fantasy at all! I know you are intelligent without asking so you have to assume that there is life in our solar system other than Earth. Why? Because of our Sun! I believe our solar system might be unique, not just the Earth. The chemistry is there throughout the solar system for life to exist. Primitive life but it's still life.

Anyway I'll go back to slumming in the crypto forums. Bigfoot is a bigger mystery anyway.

One thing we have learned in the last decade or so is that our solar system is not all that unique and there is nothing magical about our local star that makes it radically different than any other G V star in the universe except that it is the only star we are aware of that has a planet orbiting it on which life flourishes. That may change tomorrow but as of right now that is what we know. I agree that it seems very improbable that life doesn't exist elsewhere in the universe but we have no proof of it right now.

Sir Arthur C. Clarke said

"
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

he also said,

"
The fact that we have not yet found the slightest evidence for life — much less intelligence — beyond this Earth does not surprise or disappoint me in the least. Our technology must still be laughably primitive; we may well be like jungle savages listening for the throbbing of tom-toms, while the ether around them carries more words per second than they could utter in a lifetime."

why are all the planets named after some greek dudes.

http://coolcosmos.ip...get-their-names-

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

I don't know about modifying the Goldilocks zone. Since the moon is covered in ice the atmospheric temperature obviously overcomes the 90°C water temperature.

I don't know about modifying the Goldilocks zone. Since the moon is covered in ice the atmospheric temperature obviously overcomes the 90°C water temperature.

That's a good point. there's a difference between where life is possible, and where life is possible for us.

• Like 1