Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Our planet needs a better name.

Mad Manfred

Seriously "Earth"? How exactly are we going to explain our planets name when the intergalactic community comes knocking? "It means, Dirt...umm...ground?" *stomps foot*

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MID

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Picturesque Orion

• Lilly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have thought of this often. Why not Zimbolara or Trontor or something like that. Earth is so basic. Why can't earth have a cool name like Neptune of Venus?

Who on Earth would have the power and authority to change the name of the planet?

Who gave our planet the name Earth anyways?

Edited by Ghost Ship

What nonsense.

The name is basic (and beautiful) and I think reaffirms our connection with this abstract thing called a planet by reminding us of the simple fact that it is dirt: a giant ball of dirt. But whats wrong with dirt? Why do quick to hate on the source of all our nutrition and life? Dirt is a wonderful thing! I for one appreciate the connection it evokes between man and the source of everything.

Other names may sound very pretty but Neptune...Jupiter...Mercury...mear capricious sky phantoms forced to walk the face of this glorious transpersonal all-ness we call earth. What good is their pomp without the setting, that thing so much more beyong them?

Besides, you could always just call it Terra is you wanted...

It only sounds plain because we're been living here all our lives and we hear it all the time. Who knows, aliens might find the name truly poetic.

It only sounds plain because we're been living here all our lives and we hear it all the time. Who knows, aliens might find the name truly poetic.

I agree totally. To me, Kent, England and Great Britain do not sound exotic, it is far away places that sound exotic, Dar Es Salaam, Tierra Del Fuego, Sri Lanka and so on. They sound exotic precisely BECAUSE they are far away places.

Remember also that Earth is only this planet's name in English, it has many names.

Besides, you could always just call it Terra is you wanted...

Terra...I like that.

Besides, who did name Earth Earth?

Me too. wondering who would actually changed the name of our planet.

Well, moving along this line of thought; who named anything anything?

We could always give Earth a nickname...like "Bob", or something? :lol:

We could always give Earth a nickname...like "Bob", or something? :lol:

My father would have been delighted that you renamed the planet in his honour.

Planet Einstein

Planet Amazonia

Planet Marmite occupied by Vegemites

My father would have been delighted that you renamed the planet in his honour.

Oooh...that's wonderful! I like this idea even more now. :)

Planet Einstein

Planet Amazonia

Planet Marmite occupied by Vegemites

Oh my! REBEL, I really like those options as well (perhaps we could take turns among the various nicknames?). I'm especially fond of "Planet Amazonia" myself! ;)

Terra...I like that.

Ummm... the Romans ?

"Terra" is latin for.. well... earth. (or 'ground').

Meow Purr.

Most planets in our solar system and beyond are named after the Roman Gods, which are basically the same as the Greek Gods but with diferent names, for example, Jupiter(Roman) = Zeus, Mars=Ares, Neptune= Poseidon, the planets were named, if Im not mistaken by the roman, greek and chinese astromomers taking reference from these gods.

Earth is one of the four Greek classical elements (Earth, Water, Air, Fire) and one of the five elements in Chinese Taoism (metal, wood, water, fire, earth).

Terra...I like that.

Earth (English) = Tierra (Spanish) = Terra (Latin)

Spanish, along with French, is very associated with Latin, one of the most commonly spoken languages in the past Europe.

I'm especially fond of "Planet Amazonia" myself!

Wont be planet Amazonia if things keep up, ehem..... but thats another topic.

Edited by Alex01

As a huge fan of the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy I would have to go with the name that the survivors of the "B" Ark gave this planet when they crashed here 2 million years ago and became the first humans. In honour of Douglas Adams I name this planet Fintlewoodlewix.

I'm going for it, thought of it when the Borg where heading for Sector 001.

Third obulation from Star-(whatever Science classification you prefer). Not third rock from the sun, which is also an indicative location. And, pretty funny show...

Like this,

+++*__<HERE> leading from mathematical transport methods:CARRIER SIG based. I like it, it's pure&simplistic. Just location, so if we contact, get contacted. Then they say where are you, Relative to US.

We don't get one of them comic routines of how guys don't want to ask for directions when lost, and women get lied to so people can watch them drive around. Shows more intelligence...

Whats the latin word for life? Bio? I think it should be the latin name for life.

Bio comes for the Greek word βίος which means life.

Life in latin is "vita".

Edited by Alex01

Terra or Gaia, is what I have come to think is it's proper name. Earth means 'sod' like in the soil. In space, it looks like a blue marble. It is beautiful and I can see where you say it needs to have a new name to reflect it's beauty.

Turbatio would be a more appropriate name for our planet :yes:

Terra or Gaia, is what I have come to think is it's proper name. Earth means 'sod' like in the soil. In space, it looks like a blue marble. It is beautiful and I can see where you say it needs to have a new name to reflect it's beauty.

What I've been trying to say here with all the traductions and history is...... the planet's name is already "Terra" which is in latin language, but the traduction in English is "Earth", and so the english speaking countries call it "Earth", but the planet's name is already Terra, but in another language.

Bio comes for the Greek word βίος which means life.

Biock is pretty (bee'-ock). But I think Terra is so universally accepted you'd have a hard time promoting the Biock idea.

Life in latin is "vita".

How about "Vitalis", like the hair stuff?

As a huge fan of the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy I would have to go with the name that the survivors of the "B" Ark gave this planet when they crashed here 2 million years ago and became the first humans. In honour of Douglas Adams I name this planet Fintlewoodlewix.

:tu:

But that's just the thing, if we change it to Gaia, in a few generations people will be bored with it, and they'll want to change it again. Personally I'm not bored by Planet Earth, it has a warm and welcoming feel to me, no matter where I go in the universe I know that i'll always feel at home on tiny blue and green Earth.

For Latin derivation, a play at Terra Firma might be at hand. Including the now accepted theory the world is of a spherical shape. Orb, more indicative, rather than flat.

Let us see:

Terra Firma+Lt.++orb++vitality==~ Via Terrum Firmae Perniium

or roughly viable form, pearl among.

I quite like the Spanish name Tierra, as pointed out by Alex01 (cheers). Maybe it's because I consider Spanish a very poetical language, I don't know - it just sounds more interesting than Terra, to me. Which is weird, because the only difference between the two is a single letter.