Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Blogs FAQ and Support

Saru

As from January 1st 2005, Unexplained Mysteries features a fully integrated blogger system. All registered members can now create and maintain their own blogs on the site. The blogger includes all the options and features available on most commercial blogging systems.

What is a blog ?

A blog is a regularly updated personal record of thoughts, ideas and opinions - similar to a diary or journal. It can contain the author's take on recent events, on things of interest, or can read as an editorial or article on a given subject. There is no set topic for a blog, and every one is unique to the author. It is up to you what you write about, your blog is effectively your own personal web page on Unexplained Mysteries.

How do I view existing blogs ?

To view the full blog list, click the "Blogs" option in the menu at the top of the page. You can search for specific blogs, change the order and filter the entries to find those you wish to view.

How do I create a blog ?

To make your own blog, you first need to activate it. This can be down by going into 'My Controls' and clicking the 'My Blog Settings' option on the top left hand side - then click "Activate Your Blog". Once your blog has been activated, you will see a 'My Blog' option on the forum at the top which will take you straight to it.

How do I add a new entry ?

Click 'My Blog', then on the right hand side you will see a number of options. Click "Add entry" to write a new blog entry. Remember that if you add the entry as a "draft", you will need to "publish" it before it will publically appear on your blog.

Can other member's comment on my blog entries ?

Yes, however if you do not wish to allow member's to comment, you can disable the option from "My controls".

Does my blog have to be about the unexplained ?

No, it's your blog and you can use it to write about anything you like. The usual forum rules apply however, so offensive, racist, hatred related blogs or blogs relating to anything illegal are not allowed. Blogs containing offensive language or written in ALL CAPS are discouraged also.

Can I add an image to my blog's content blocks?

Yes, however please make sure that it's width doesn't exceed 220 pixels. Overly large images in the blog blocks will distort the page, which makes your blog harder to read and looks generally messy - putting people off reading it.

Since the blog system is very new to the site, I will be adding to this FAQ as often as I can. I will leave this thread open so that members can post blog related queries here, and then add the most common to this FAQ.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Janiel

• BurnSide

• _hAiLO_

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the 'Content Block'. What is it, and what do i do with it?

'Tis basically a box of text, images, links, etc. - "content." You create it, put whatever you want in it and choose a title, then you can pick where on the page you want to put it, and if you want the column of content to be on the left or the right. For example, look at my blog - I've got a little quote in my content block called "cinderella." Hope that helps!

Fantastic. That helps alot.

So i can put, say, an image in there and it'll always appear at the left or right of my blog context, right?

[edit] My question answered. I've figured it all out. Thanks Selkhet!

Edited by BurnSide

What's trackbacking? Is it the opposite of backtracking? So if that were correct, is trackbacking following the steps that you haven't made yet?? blink.gif

Um, yeah... so what exactly is it?

Here's the best definition of 'trackbacking' i could find:

"Trackback is a standard feature which you will find on many Blogging systems. It allows you to inform another Blogger that you wrote an article which references to their Blog entry. On their Blog entry there will be a link to your Blog."

That's the general idea, however i'm not totally sure how it works because i've never used trackbacking before either. I'll see if I can find a better explanation.

Hey, can moderators moderate your blog?

Yes, in case someone abuses the blogger system we can still moderate blog entries in the same way as we can moderate forum posts.

The same rules apply no matter the moderator.

A blog may be removed or closed down if it contains racism, hatred, illegal or overly offensive or obscene content.

But you won't delete random posts about random thoughts like you would do on the regular forum?

I hope so cos a lot of the time I like to write about stuff but don't wanna waste everyone's time by posting it...

Ames original.gif

But you won't delete random posts about random thoughts like you would do on the regular forum?

Random posts about random thoughts are what the blogs are for wink2.gif

One of the main advantages of the blogger is that members can put down random musings and thoughts in their blogs, whereas they wouldn't have been able to do that otherwise.

The only blog entries we will remove are those that contain racism, hatred, illegal or overly offensive or obscene content.

Does it take a while for your blog to appear in the Blogs section? I wrote mine and it doesn't seem to be showing up. Or maybe my settings are wrong?

[Edit] Nevermind, I figured it out. tongue.gif

I wasn't aware that you actually had to "Publish" it.

Edited by Guest

OK, i got a request/question for the Blogs. Is it possible to make it so it shows when someone is veiwing a bolg and who?

kinda like what you see at the bottom of a thread.

Sorry no, not unless that feature is added to a future relase of the Blog software. There is actually a new version in the works at the moment, and we'll be updating to it once it's released.

I don't know however if that particular feature will be included.

The following has been added to the FAQ:

Can I add an image to my blog's content blocks?

Yes, however please make sure that it's width doesn't exceed 220 pixels. Overly large images in the blog blocks will distort the page, which makes your blog harder to read and looks generally messy - putting people off reading it.

Could I ask all those who post images in their blogs to make sure that they aren't too large for the space - 220 pixels is an ideal maximum width for placing images in the side blocks.

Would it be possible to get a notification when there's a new comment in our blogs? Perhaps something we can turn on or off, so that we'll know right away (if we're online) that someone's left a comment.

Unfortunately not yet, again there might be something for doing that in the next version of the blog software which will hopefully be out soon.

Would it be possible to get a notification when there's a new comment in our blogs? Perhaps something we can turn on or off, so that we'll know right away (if we're online) that someone's left a comment.

Update

I've just received word that this will be a feature in the upcoming Invision Blog 1.1, indicator graphics will show whether a blog has been read, or if new comments have been added in the same way as icons indicate new posts on the forum at the moment.

Update

I've just received word that this will be a feature in the upcoming Invision Blog 1.1, indicator graphics will show whether a blog has been read, or if new comments have been added in the same way as icons indicate new posts on the forum at the moment.

454356[/snapback]

Awesome, that'll be a very handy feature. thumbsup.gif

Still no chance on being able to see who/when someone is in your blog?

Sorry no, although I can't say for sure whether or not it will be featured in 1.1, it doesn't look at the moment as though it will be.

• 1 month later...