Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human & Neanderthal interbreeding questioned

Still Waters

It was the discovery that challenged what it is to be human. The Neanderthal genome revealed that our extinct cousin's genes live on in many modern humans, implying that the two species interbred. But a controversial new study casts doubt on those claims of interspecies hanky-panky.

http://www.newscient...questioned.html

• Like 2

One only has to look aound while out shopping to see, without question, that there are still neanderthals among us. In my opinion.

Some political rallies are full of them. :)

lol @ hanky-panky

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3

Anyone who doesn't think H. Sapiens and H Neanderthalis 'fooled around together',

has never seen what goes on in a bar near closing time...

The law of Consenting Mammals...

• Like 3

From the article:

Reich and Pääbo disagree with the new formulation. They say recent analyses actually firm up the case for interbreeding. Most tellingly, Reich and his colleagues have an upcoming paper in PLoS Genetics that suggests non-Africans have shared genes in common with Neanderthals for only a few tens of thousands of years. If correct, this means these genes cannot predate the origin of Neanderthals, around 320,000 years ago.

• Like 1

If it did happen I am betting it was not voluntary.

Beer-goggles existed even back then, my friend.

• Like 2

I know see why not. I am sure any captives females was raped. Interbreding was possible

They have a different answer to this every 6 months. I'm going to guess that the two species found eachother sexually repulsive and there was no interbreeding. If there was inter-species sex would it have resulted in offspring? There is only a difference of one chromosone between humans and chimpanzees but we cant interbreed.

I thought it was a question of 'how often' rather than 'did'?

• Like 3

I thought it was a question of 'how often' rather than 'did'?

well scientist change their minds every 4 seconds now -.- hard to keep up at times.
  • Like 3

It is possible, definitely is. Some people even act and look like Neanderthals.

Edited by St. Jimmy

ok I am really bad in science but I just wanted to know...aren't neanderthals "older versions" of us modern people? if no then all these days I had the wrong idea, but if yes, they were humans too right? I am sorry if I some think it's silly, it's only because I don't know and I really want to know. :)

They should look at their diet to see if alcohol was involved.

It must have.

You wake up one morning, you stretch out, yawn, and then look to your right to see some unknown woman snoring beside you.

Ugly as hell, like a Neanderthal.

So what you do? As silently as you are capable of you put your clothes on, and run off.

And you promise yourself to never drink that much.

Ahhh... promises.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

having sex with animals is called beastiality

Having sex with animals is called bestiality, don't think this quite fits the bill though.

• Like 1

Take the word "neanderthal" and change the letters around, you get "netherlands". Coincidence? The so-called Dutch are merely the product of a secret selective breeding program by the Swiss to create a mindless army of clog assassins. The false evolution timeline was created as propaganda for fear that if people knew the real timeline, then Swiss cuckoo clocks would be rendered inaccurate.

Take the word "neanderthal" and change the letters around, you get "netherlands". Coincidence? The so-called Dutch are merely the product of a secret selective breeding program by the Swiss to create a mindless army of clog assassins. The false evolution timeline was created as propaganda for fear that if people knew the real timeline, then Swiss cuckoo clocks would be rendered inaccurate.

Unfortunately their success as assassins was ruined due to stealthy operations being impossible whilst wearing clogs...

• Like 1

I believe Neandertals were covered in hair all over their bodies and Yeti and Sasquatch myths are racial memories of our ancestors when they encountered these creatures. Neandertals were adapted to a very cold climate and there is no evidence that they had or used clothes, needles, sewing, etc. It would have been very difficult to hunt while wearing loosely attached ill fitting skins.

It's also possible that sightings of the Yeti are holographic impressions on the collective unconscious from the distant past of Neandertals. In order to survive in the sub-artic Ice Age climate Neandertals had to be covered in hair, perhaps like the Orangutang only even more dense.

So our ancestors saw the Neandertals as "other" more like beasts than humans, and probably hunted them in much the same way that modern day Africans hunt and eat Gorillas and Chimpanzees.

It's a well known fact that it was a status symbol for Neandertal males to nail female human, but they could only seem to get the fat, ugly ones.

• Like 1