Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Why are there so many versions of Bigfoot?

bigfoot yeti wild man sasquatch orang minyak

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#46    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:16 AM

In the 90's a type of antelope was discovered in southeast asia called the Saola aka Asian Unicorn.
It wasn't known to western society but the locals always knew of it's existence.
I suppose it's possible that an undiscovered ape is lurking through the forrest and mountains of it's habitat.
That's why I'm not so quick to debunk a Phenomena that has mass sightings.
Just keeping an open mind to the possibilities.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much skepticism can make you arrogant & egotistical.

#47    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,625 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:34 AM

Just because an animal has more than one species, subspecies or variety alone says nothing about its existence. There are two gorillas; mountain and lowland, there are two orangs subspecies; Bornean and Sumatran, there are chimps and bonobos, and apparently a "giant" chimp (?). If bigfoot exists, and I have my doubts, then it could also have subspecies if separated by mountains, oceans, etc. But when I hear about a bigfoot like creature in Australia that really strains credulity. Aside from man and the dogs man brought with him (dingos) the only placental mammals that made it down under were bats, which can fly, and a few rats and mice which hitched a ride on flotsam. Only when Europeans arrived was there a flood of placental mammal species. Bigfoot did not canoe over to Australia.

#48    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:03 AM

View PostSundew, on 03 July 2012 - 01:34 AM, said:

Just because an animal has more than one species, subspecies or variety alone says nothing about its existence. There are two gorillas; mountain and lowland, there are two orangs subspecies; Bornean and Sumatran, there are chimps and bonobos, and apparently a "giant" chimp (?). If bigfoot exists, and I have my doubts, then it could also have subspecies if separated by mountains, oceans, etc. But when I hear about a bigfoot like creature in Australia that really strains credulity. Aside from man and the dogs man brought with him (dingos) the only placental mammals that made it down under were bats, which can fly, and a few rats and mice which hitched a ride on flotsam. Only when Europeans arrived was there a flood of placental mammal species. Bigfoot did not canoe over to Australia.

But surely creatures existed there before the sand banks to the north were walkable. To me it sounds like your ignoring the fact that we have platypus', emus, cassowaries, kangaroos, wombats, wallaby's, quoka's and quolls, and others. Doesn't rule out the fact that a giant ape could have existed here before aborigine's arrived. All along the coasts (barring the north) is a chain of forrests, over west here we have the Darling Range, which when it reaches Pemberton, becomes a forrest of ridiculously huge trees and is very damp. Then over east you have the mangroves and rainforrests, which could have supported an ape in prehistory.

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#49    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

View PostRyegrog, on 30 June 2012 - 02:16 AM, said:

In the 90's a type of antelope was discovered in southeast asia called the Saola aka Asian Unicorn.
It wasn't known to western society but the locals always knew of it's existence.

The Saola is similar to other wildlife in its habitat.  Its discovery was nice but not much of a surprise. Bigfoot on the other hand is unlike any species in any area. If it exists, no one could speculate from what species it evolved from or how it survives in its habitat.

It's interesting that we were eventually able to discover the Saola and take perfectly clear pictures of it yet the larger slower Bigfoot remains elusive.

#50    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,380 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Seeing as no-one appears to have asked, I will.  Hope no-one's offended as it's genuinely not intended as a joke or racial slur of any kind.

Does the Chinese bigfoot have slanty eyes?

#51    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

View PostEldorado, on 03 July 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

Seeing as no-one appears to have asked, I will.  Hope no-one's offended as it's genuinely not intended as a joke or racial slur of any kind.

Does the Chinese bigfoot have slanty eyes?
I don't think anyone has gotten close enough to document that yet, my good sir.

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#52    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,193 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

View PostSundew, on 03 July 2012 - 01:34 AM, said:

Bigfoot did not canoe over to Australia.
Wouldn't have had to....

Posted Image

Posted Image

#53    drivernjax

drivernjax

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

Am I the only person who has noticed that the descriptions of Bigfoot, Sasquatch, Yeti, etc. all seem to match the scientific description of the Gigantopithecus?  You know, 7 - 9 feet tall; covered with red, reddish-brown, brown or black hair; vaguely human features; etc.  Maybe these aren't racial memories, but descriptions of an animal that was thought to be extinct, but may not be.  I would also like to remind the naysayers that the mountain gorilla was thought to be a legend until one was captured in the early 20th Century.  I could name more, but I believe you may have an idea of what I am saying.

#54    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,229 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

View Postdrivernjax, on 06 July 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

Am I the only person who has noticed that the descriptions of Bigfoot, Sasquatch, Yeti, etc. all seem to match the scientific description of the Gigantopithecus?  You know, 7 - 9 feet tall; covered with red, reddish-brown, brown or black hair; vaguely human features; etc.  Maybe these aren't racial memories, but descriptions of an animal that was thought to be extinct, but may not be.  I would also like to remind the naysayers that the mountain gorilla was thought to be a legend until one was captured in the early 20th Century.  I could name more, but I believe you may have an idea of what I am saying.

The mountain gorilla was not reported to exist in every country on the planet.   Yet it was found and documented a hundred years ago.   There are clear pictures of it.

#55    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

I'd put more money on the giant ground slouth. Sure, it's been extinct for a while but it could almost walk on two feet and did live in the warmer parts of North America so it makes more sense than a tropical ape. Just imagine stumbling across one of those things in the forest! Yikes!

Strange how we know more about extinct species than Bigfoot. We don't even have a fossil record that would suggest that something like it ever existed.

#56    land cryptozoologist

land cryptozoologist

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

this is just proving it exsists more. i mean it is in all most every continent.

#57    Turecast

Turecast

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

• Some say the dark is Evil and the light is Good
    but one thing is true neither can exist without one another -Turecast

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

This is like asking why are their so many  versions of god

Edited by Turecast, 10 July 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#58    vitruvian12

vitruvian12

Psychic Spy

• 1,854 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:10 AM

View Postland cryptozoologist, on 10 July 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

this is just proving it exsists more. i mean it is in all most every continent.
Talking and telling stories, no matter how repeated and retold, isnt proof.

#59    justcalmebubba

justcalmebubba

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

• there are many things that bump along in the nite but there are sum of us that bump back

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

I want to met a female big foot.  :D  being my luck that'd be come the perfect woman  for me long hair big boobed big assed  nutting a little soap an water an summers eve couldnt handle :gun:

#60    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,758 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

And maybe some Nair?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users