Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vast underground city discovered in Turkey

UM-Bot

A subterranean complex covering an area of 5 million square feet has been unearthed in Nevsehir.

Dating back 5,000 years, the elaborate underground city was discovered entirely by accident by workers who had been shifting piles of soil around as part of an urban renewal project.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/279805/vast-underground-city-discovered-in-turkey

• Like 3

Darn!! That is bigger than my house :whistle:

Turkey seems to be home to some extraordinary underground civilisations ( if that is what they are)....

From OP Link

discovered entirely by accident by workers who had been shifting piles of soil around as part of an urban renewal project.

Government workers obviously.

• Like 1

The find is super cool. I wonder if the people who used to live above it ever found any of the air shafts?

Yes all knowledge of the ancient world has been destroyed thru the belief of religion. If they don't burn it, hide it or destroy it:)

Awesome find. Wonder what artifacts they might find, if past explorers haven't already found certain areas.

Pretty cool.

Not sure about this from the article -

"contained everything needed to sustain a sizable population"

Seems they forgot about food.

Perhaps they ate each other. Would explain why there is nobody left inside.

Edited by siltsunrise
  • Like 1

This is NOT a new discovery. It was discovered in 1963. What they SHOULD be writing about is the mystery of the construction, how soft the rock is, and how the builders had to have been math magicians to pull this off. It’s suggested that that caves were constructed by the Persian King Yima. Yima may have been a mythological figure rather than an actual king, he is said to have had a lifespan of more than 900 years.

This is NOT a new discovery. It was discovered in 1963. What they SHOULD be writing about is the mystery of the construction, how soft the rock is, and how the builders had to have been math magicians to pull this off. It's suggested that that caves were constructed by the Persian King Yima. Yima may have been a mythological figure rather than an actual king, he is said to have had a lifespan of more than 900 years.

I thought this was a newly discovered tunnel city. Can you show that this was found in 1963?

It is a newly discovered city. It even differentiates it from the 1963 city in the posted blurb.

• Like 1

I thought this was a newly discovered tunnel city. Can you show that this was found in 1963?

It is not newly discovered. It is called Derinkuyu, named specifically in the article. One search with that name will tell you everything.

It is a newly discovered city. It even differentiates it from the 1963 city in the posted blurb.

How does it differentiate from Derinkuyu?? It is Derinkuyu. I would like to know what makes you think that we are talking about two different places.

It is not newly discovered. It is called Derinkuyu, named specifically in the article. One search with that name will tell you everything.

Ughhhh. No..... The article specifically states it is NOT Derinkuyu. I think perhaps you only read the first paragraph and misinterpreted it.

From the OP link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/03/27/how-this-vast-ancient-underground-city-was-accidentally-discovered-in-turkey/

But as amazing as Derinkuyu may be, a recently discovered underground city buried deep inside a hilltop may put it to shame. And this one was discovered completely by accident.
“It is not a known underground city,” the head of Turkey’s Housing Development Administration told the Daily News. “Tunnel passages of seven kilometers are being discussed. We stopped the construction we were planning to do on these areas when an underground city was discovered.”

And if you go to the National Geographic link:

http://news.national...ey-archaeology/

It is still largely unexplored, but initial studies suggest its size and features may rival those of Derinkuyu, the largest excavated underground city in Cappadocia, which could house 20,000 people.
Like Derinkuyu, the site appears to have been a large, self-sustaining complex with air shafts and water channels.
These studies suggest the underground corridors may plunge as deep as 371 feet (113 meters). If that turns out to be accurate, the city could be larger than Derinkuyu by a third.

I hope that helps clear it up for you.

Edited by DieChecker