Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Thor in south pacific

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16    whitegandalf

whitegandalf

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 195 posts

• A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

Under certain condition it can go faster than modern race yacht, 1. It can sail straight ahead, when a modern sailboat has to sig sag route. 2. When little or no wind or against wind, they can still have a fast pace because of alot of strong oars. So overall over a distance in a known race from europe to america the viking ship did loose, but only by 30 minutes or so. II wil try to find a link for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longship

Dry fish can be stored for years, thats what they used as food on their sea voyages. The only other thing they had to store was water. Their largest ships was 50meters, 150feet long and they often travelled in large groups of 10-30 ships. They did often sail for months in a strech, but they could technology travel for years concerning food, with some water refills on the way. But they wouldent have to, fast ships, so its just teoreticly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockfish

Easy sail, We know they sailed from iran to new foundland, and that is much further. Maybe easy was a bit self confident, but they had the technology to do it. And the west coast, hawai and new zeeland would have been a natural continuation of their exploring.

Edited by whitegandalf, 26 October 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#17    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 24 October 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

Humans simply will invent the same stuff given a chance.

Its not a rule. Why aboriginals didnt develop what else were practising for centuries?
Why Maya have writting system and other natives didnt?

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#18    whitegandalf

whitegandalf

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 195 posts

• A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by whitegandalf, 27 October 2012 - 12:04 AM.

#19    whitegandalf

whitegandalf

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:15 AM

Ormen lange vikingship

#20    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,033 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:22 AM

View Postwhitegandalf, on 26 October 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wouldn't want to carry that very far.

#21    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,033 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:24 AM

I also bet that the "fastest racing sail boats of today" can beat them.

#22    whitegandalf

whitegandalf

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:34 AM

I think the one they carried was bit smaller, maybe half with 16 oars, some were twice as large as lower picture from above with 60+ oars. These was also strong men who was used to roing 7 hours a day. Hard work to be a viking.

I think overall todays racing boats are faster too, but not by much. But under certain conditions it will loose to the viking ship.

Posted Image

One of the larger ones, Dragen Harald Hårfagre (the dragon harald nice hair). There is one even lobger, ormen lange (long serpent) but i cant seem to post the picture here for some reason.

Posted Image

And this one, but its from around 100 years after the official viking empire ended and took jesus as their new god. 1180 ad

Edited by whitegandalf, 27 October 2012 - 01:22 AM.

#23    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

I also bet that the "fastest racing sail boats of today" can beat them.

yes they could, but still, norse ships could travel 150 + kilometers a day under decent conditions.

#24    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,447 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:55 AM

View Postthe L, on 26 October 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

Its not a rule. Why aboriginals didnt develop what else were practising for centuries?
Why Maya have writting system and other natives didnt?

Because humans only develop the technology they NEED?? If you're culture does not need writing or records, then it will probably not be developed. If you culture does not need machines, like the natives of the Amazon, who live in clearing and huts... then they will not pursue and develop those things. Also depends on available food, which influences free time, which influences imagination, which influences invention of new technologies.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#25    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

• If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:56 AM

Thor Indra Andraste Zeus Tehshub Tengri.....................thunder god was everywhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users