Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Monster mosquitoes invade central Florida

gallinippers mosquitoes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,722 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Giant mosquitoes the size of a quarter are invading central Florida and officials are warning residents to beware of the 'notoriously aggressive' bloodsuckers.

Entomologists at the University of Florida predicted the massive insects, known as gallinippers, would descend on the sunshine state in record numbers this year after drenching rains from Tropical Storm Debbie. Now the mammoth monsters have arrived, being spotted in Seminole County.

The frightening supermosquitoes, native to the eastern half of the United States, are 20 times the size of an ordinary mosquito and their bite is unusually painful.

http://www.dailymail...eavy-rains.html

Posted Image

#2    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,625 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

blwaughhhhh!!! Bugs like that are one of the reasons I don't live in a warmer clime.. Eeep!

Too much DEET is bad for you. Well, any amount of it isn't really good for you either. We have a large pond and live in a wet area, and the skeeters are really aggressive here along with the ticks. We've used lots of DEET, but it's bad and expensive, so we have started switching to other deterrent methods. I'm thankful ours aren't huge like that.

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,931 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

We have a few mosquitoes in spring but not many.  I go out at night all the time and rarely get bit and I'm so glad they aren't that big.

#4    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

weird thing about mozzies, is that we don't get them.
mainland europe's plagued, the US is plagued, but us, in the middle, don't suffer from them, and that's kinda odd.....
not that i'm complaining or anything!

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,931 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

If you have standing water it makes them much worse.  They have to have standing water to breed in.

#6    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

View PostHilander, on 09 June 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

If you have standing water it makes them much worse.  They have to have standing water to breed in.
that might be the reason Hil, there's not much standing water in britain 'cause it rains all the bloody time!!
yaaayy! for crappy weather!
:-)

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#7    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Unknown title error

• 3,215 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:12 AM

Funny they are called monster in Florida. In Minnesota / Wisconsin that's the norm. In Minnesota they are called out with a title there they are called. "State Bird"

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

Also tagged with gallinippers, mosquitoes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users