Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teen protests Pledge said in foreign languages

__Kratos__

MILLERSVILLE, Md. - A ninth-grader is protesting his school’s decision to broadcast the Pledge of Allegiance in foreign languages as part of National Foreign Language Week.

Patrick Linton said he and other students at Old Mill High School sat down rather than stand Wednesday when the pledge was read over the school’s public address system in Russian. Linton’s teacher told him if he had a problem he should leave the room.

He did, and did not plan to return this week.

“This is America, and we got soldiers at war,” the 15-year-old said. “When you’re saying the Pledge in a different language which nobody understands, that’s not OK.”

Charles Linton, Patrick’s father, said the use of other languages is disrespectful to the country. “It’s like wearing a cross upside down in a church,” he said.

The pledge was to be read in Spanish, French, Latin, Russian and German. School officials said the activity will continue, with the English version of the pledge being read first for the rest of the week.

“This is just a way to connect what’s going on in the classroom and this daily activity where we say the Pledge of Allegiance,” said Jonathan Brice, a spokesman for Anne Arundel County Public Schools.

Source

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

angry.gif EXTREME bad taste for the school. I admire this kid for standing up and telling them what he thought. The school should be ashamed of their actions. angry.gif

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• __Kratos__

• Talon

• SilverCougar

• Dando Kast

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am very happy the schools are teaching diversity instead of racism.

Edited by pisces1963

But for our pledge? Its sick to do such a thing. I'm not racist, I just feel that the AMERICAN pledge should be left alone. (cept the "under god" part added in 1952, but I'm not here for that.)

I don't see what the bog deal is. I respect him for expressing his opinion but I really don't understand it. I feel they should have let him stay in protest though.

Why shouldn't they read the pledge in different languages, I think that is a very good idea, especially for National Foreign Language Week. I would see no problem with this. If some people find it disrespectful then they should have the option to leave the room, but I think it is a good idea. I agree with Pisces, diversity is a good thing.

Why shouldn't they read the pledge in different languages, I think that is a very good idea, especially for National Foreign Language Week. I would see no problem with this. If some people find it disrespectful then they should have the option to leave the room, but I think it is a good idea. I agree with Pisces, diversity is a good thing.

524533[/snapback]

Yippie! Here's your "A+" present from me! grin2.gif

post-11680-1110778277.jpg

524533[/snapback]

Yippie! Here's your "A+" present from me! grin2.gif

524538[/snapback]

Aw, thanks Pisces! grin2.gif

Im all for diversity,but this will head the other direction IMO,given enough time. One nation,one language, one color rolleyes.gif

This is America, and it is a pledge to the flag of the United States of America.. besides, every child in an American school should know English, anyway.. because I know the teachers are not speaking in Russian..

Edit: Okay, it's not perminent, then it doesn't bother me. It's just for some stupid week.

Edited by nicksoslick

hmm looks like that child is a red neck in the making.... i'm sure america is about diversity.. why is it so bad to adopts other cultures into your own? it's not a sick thing to do to agknowledge others that have come into your country.. i mean after all, if you want to be an american citizen you have to break all ties and everything meaningful and adpot that way of life..and pledge allegience solely to america. this way... it embraces both nationalities.

tigger  Today, 12:32 AM  hmm looks like that child is a red neck in the making....

So all that agree with that kid is a Redneck? So you are calling me a redneck?

Yeah, america is one big melting pot. I have the biggest problem with it cause its tradition and respect. Respect for those who have fought and fallen defending America.

But for our pledge? Its sick to do such a thing. I'm not racist, I just feel that the AMERICAN pledge should be left alone. (cept the "under god" part added in 1952, but I'm not here for that.)

524522[/snapback]

Oh? Might I remind you that this country started out by foreigners? And that this country is made up of a great many different cultures?

What if the pledge was said in Iriquois, or Choctaw? Maybe even Algonquian...

The American pledge, is for everyone who lives in this country, reguardless what thier main language is.

tigger  Today, 12:32 AM  hmm looks like that child is a red neck in the making....

Yeah, america is one big melting pot. I have the biggest problem with it cause its tradition and respect. Respect for those who have fought and fallen defending America.

524583[/snapback]

And on this little gem... There are alot of soldiers in any branch of the military that are from different countries, or descendants of those who have immigrated to here. And a fair many of them spoke their native tongue alot as well.

And on this little gem... There are alot of soldiers in any branch of the military that are from different countries, or descendants of those who have immigrated to here. And a fair many of them spoke their native tongue alot as well.

I know there are. I know some soldiers that are the off-spring of immigrants but even they say the pledge in english. I asked them why and they even said out of respect.

Edited by __Kratos__

Respect... *shakes her head* sad sad day...

There is no disrespect in showing your ties to your heritage... and love for country you live in by pledging to it in your native tongue. To me, that's a great reminder of what this country is.

There is a place to respect your heritage and a place to respect your country. This country allows the freedom to respect your own heritage and beliefs. So why can't you respect the country it self?

And who says you can't do both at the same time. They are words. That's all. They are the same words if you say them in english, chinese, german, or even swahili. It's the meaning in your heart that shows your respect to your country.

Are you saying, someone who doesn't know how to speack english, just came here to live the ever fabled "american life" Can't show his graditude and respect in the only lanuage he knows? Or even if he did, wish to honor it in his native tongue? The meaning is still in his heart. What difference does the language mean? Nothing.

Not really. Language is something you're taught. tradition or no. We teach kids in school different languages, and that's not a tradition. So why is it ok to teach them a different language, yet not ok to say a bunch of words in them?

Its the tradition of saying those words in english to the flag. Sure schools teach other lang. but schools also teach traditions also.

It's not really a tradition to say the pledge in english. It's just done that way out of bigitory habbit.

524583[/snapback]

looks as tho he is because he cant adopt other ppls customs into his own lifestyle. makes him a sad, norrow minded bigot.

the world is made up of many ppl.. from many lifestyles and civilisations.. the sooner that these kids learn this (and gain more knowledge of ppl etc outside of their own country) the better off they will be.

if you dont accomodate ppl and their customs, and the fact that this is a celebratory and one off thing.. then yes you may just well be a redneck.. open your self up to new and different possibilities... these ppl bring more to your lifestyle and country than you may well be aware of

and as has been said before... it was not only americans that have fought in wars.. its a melting pot of many ppl.. its actions such as this child that makes it harder for ppl from different lifestyles to fit into society, as they arent given a chance

looks as tho he is because he cant adopt other ppls customs into his own lifestyle. makes him a sad, norrow minded bigot.

Please people, let's keep this civil, eh? tongue.gif

I can actually almost see his point...although that might be because I live in the UK, and we've had to make far too many "compromises" in the name of political correctness...however, the change is only over the course of week. Is it honestly going to affect anyone, or anything, in that school? huh.gif

We don't have anything like the pledge of allegiance in UK schools...so I can't honestly pretend to know what social implications something like this and..."disrespecting"...this pledge of yours goes. But again, it's one week...and it's only being done because the week in question is supposed to be about foreign languages. Don't over react tongue.gif