Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Children who grow up with internet believe

Still Waters

The number of children believing everything they read on Google and social media sites has doubled, according to an Ofcom study which has found 'digital natives' are too trusting of what they find online.

And these so-called 'digital natives' - children who have grown up with the internet - often lack "online nous" to decide if what they see is true or impartial, the regulator concluded.

http://www.telegraph...says-Ofcom.html

• Like 5

I don't believe this.

• Like 3

So? Children are basically stupid, impressionable and often irretrievably gullible; always have been with or without the net, tv or any media.

Heck, the parents can and have told them all sorts of garbage and they will believe it just because someone told them so.

Sad thing is that adults are just as gullible too even when there are plenty of resources for them to do their own research with because it is easier to just be told what to think than to actually read, learn and change their own thinking.

• Like 4

well time to get on the internet and tell these kids not to believe the stuff they read on the internet. Oh wait................

• Like 4

It doesn't help when people only look things up to confirm their opinion either. You can find "proof" of almost anything on the internet.

• Like 4

If the internet can bleed then it can die...

If the internet can bleed then it can die...

:huh:

Since the internet obviously can't bleed, I am not at all sure what that means ?

Since the internet obviously can't bleed, I am not at all sure what that means ?

A non believer in our midst?

As said somewhere above, any media can potentially negatively influence both children and adults.

I think that the internet, due to it's immense content and well-written sites of questionable ideas or downright lies can cause problems for those susceptible to coercion and manipulation far more than with other forms of media.

• Like 2

Children should be taught how Google search results are displayed, especially controversial subjects.

A good dose of critical thinking wouldn't hurt as well, as well as tracking citation sources and the journalistic reputation of the author, and jeez is there an editor invoved?

If not, chances are there is a keyboard warrior loose in his Mom's basement.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

I've run into young people's on the internet who would believe anything they read on there. No matter how absurd or impossible.

• Like 1

I've run into young people's on the internet who would believe anything they read on there. No matter how absurd or impossible.

"David Cameron: How I can Defeat ISIS".

No, no one would be gullible enough to be believe that.

Why not? But don't only pin it on kids, and don't only blame the internet. It seems like there are a lot of people who believe everything they see on TV. People still think a mermaid body was found, a dragon body was found, and that megalodon ate a boat. Then they go online, and the crap they find here just backs it up. There are a ton of crazy conspiracy sites, but that only reinforces the crazy you can find elsewhere.

Why not? But don't only pin it on kids, and don't only blame the internet. It seems like there are a lot of people who believe everything they see on TV. People still think a mermaid body was found, a dragon body was found, and that megalodon ate a boat. Then they go online, and the crap they find here just backs it up. There are a ton of crazy conspiracy sites, but that only reinforces the crazy you can find elsewhere.

Agreed, but believing that kind of thing is less harmful than believing all the government propaganda the media tells you. And it's often the people that insist they're rational and not taken in by all this (relatively harmless) nonsense that are quite willing to believe the (often harmful) lies that governments tell you.

"David Cameron: How I can Defeat ISIS".

No, no one would be gullible enough to be believe that.

Someone (a kid) once told me that Pepsi gives you cancer. When I asked where they heard that bit of nonsense, they said they read it on the Internet. *facepalm*

Some adults are like that with their religious dogma.

• Like 1