Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does anybody record for EVP?

lance111

Hi to all,

I would like to know does anybody here record for EVP? if so may I ask for your expriences and what you actually think of this amazing subject?

I however feel Its geniun! I have come to this conclusion from past and current expriments (done by scienctist all over the world for the past 50 years) plus my own research...

I would very much like some feed back on these questions, thank you, take care, Lance.. :yes:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hazzard

• lance111

• Barek Halfhand

• Radian

Hi Lance

Welcome to UM ...There are many many threads on EVP here and yes there are a few practicioners here also. If you go to the search option and type in EVP it will bring up loads of threads on this.

The best way is probably to add to one of those because some will probably not want to go into the whole thing again.....

Hi to all,

I would like to know does anybody here record for EVP? if so may I ask for your expriences and what you actually think of this amazing subject?

I however feel Its geniun! I have come to this conclusion from past and current expriments (done by scienctist all over the world for the past 50 years) plus my own research...

I would very much like some feed back on these questions, thank you, take care, Lance.. :yes:

haven't read up on EVP as I should, latest hype aside I remember a story my oldest Sib used to tell about how as kids they would leave one of those push button type recorders (70's era) in a local mausoleum they would sneak into at night hit record and retrieve the next morning ,upon playback (volume cranked i.e.;"the sixth sense.") yes they caught some spooky noises! will try to ask her about it ...not to soon though the way I've been fixated on the paranormal as of late every bodies going to think I've REALLY lost it this time!.......................B

"face piles of trials with smiles"

The Moody Blues

Edited by Barek Halfhand

hav'nt read up on EVP as I should, latest hype aside I remember a story my oldest Sib used to tell about how as kids they would leave one of those push button type recorders (70's era) in a local mausoleum they would sneak into at night hit record and retrieve the next morning ,upon playback (volume cranked i.e.;"the sixth sense.") yes they caught some spooky noises! will try to ask her about it ...not to soon though the way I've been fixated on the paranormal as of late every bodies going to think I've REALLY lost it this time!.......................B

"face piles of trials with smiles"

The Moody Blues

hey thanks Barek Halfhand .. I would appriecate it....

I will also search through the other threads cheers and thanks for the welcome..Bogeyman

take care both Lance..

i was obsessed with it for a bit,i think i might have gotten something on my phone,but i don't know.its hard to say for sure.i'll give you the link to the thread i had the recordings in.

Thread

Hi to all,

Hi Lance and welcome to the forum.

Me and Boogey has beem over this before, so Im sorry for the replay Boogey. But I still believe that EVPs are most likely created by interference from nearby items that emit noise on low-level frequencies, such as CB radios or through cross modulation. Or, just background noise, and this background noise is recorded, and replayed. If something "interesting" is heard, the sound sample is isolated, filtered, enhanced, and otherwise changed as much as necessary in order to make the "interesting" sounds into something vaguely intelligible. And when I say vaguely, boy do I mean it!

Not even to mention that now, that the phenomenon has a number of devoted followers, some hoaxers have probably entered the fray.

Additionally, some of the "voices" people believe have been caught on tape are likely fueled by human natures propensity to try to make sense out of random patterns, called pareidolia, in this case, noise.

The face on Mars, hearing messages on records played in reverse and Electronic Voice Phenomena are examples of pareidolia.

Another possible explanation is that people may have used old tapes, knowingly or not, for EVP sessions, and that the voices they hear come from previous recording "bleeding through". To bad that Meek and ONeil from Spiricom, who promised direct two-way communication with the dead, never made it.

How cool would it be to call up my dead grandmother, but then again, this is exactly what keeps this idea of EVP alive.

The - What if...

Edited by hazzard

EVPs are most likely created..

The - What if...

Now, Mr. hazzard you know "most likely" doesn't cut it with ghosts and evps and stuff. B) That still leaves room for those found to be genuine.

Now, Mr. hazzard you know "most likely" doesn't cut it with ghosts and evps and stuff. B) That still leaves room for those found to be genuine.

There is always room for error, but, if you ask me, this EVP stuff is one of those times when Occams Razor should be applied .

You know, "one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything."

I worked as a sound man for a few years off and on, and so I know all about cross-modulation. I've picked up conversations from marine radio on the house mains, AM radio Bible-bangers on guitar amps, and sports talk on synthesizer keyboards. Once, I even got blasted with an especially powerful CB broadcast through some speakers that were hooked up to an amp that was turned off.

I've been messing around with tape recorders since I was little and am familiar with all kinds of echoes and faint, leftover, or stray signals that can creep into recordings.

Still, I'll say that the very first time I took a recorder into a supposedly haunted location, I caught something I'd call an EVP, and whatever it is, it isn't crosstalk from any source I can identify. It's a crisp, clear, sort of mechanical or computer-generated-sounding voice saying.... something. Something unintelligible. I hear one thing, and others hear something else, and so I guess that's textbook unintelligibility.

I've heard lots and lots of EVPs, most of them like mine. Some, however, are very intelligible. And they usually have that same inhuman, electronic quality to them, and they seem fond of putting the emPHASis on the wrong sylLABle. So it's not a bleedover from some tugboat skipper or a commercial for Crazy Dave's Furniture Carnival. It's something a little bizarre.

I am sure of one thing: if you go around recording in lots of places while you look for ghosts, sooner or later (probably sooner) you'll record a voice nobody can recall having heard at the time. It may corroborate some other impression or data gathered at the site, or it may be gibberish. Either way, I confess it feels spooky as hell.

You'll also get crosstalk from other sources, but usually that sounds like "breaker 1-9 good buddy" or "Jim, come to Receiving" or "make check payable to Gospel Church Jamboree" or (God help us) a Celine Dion record.

Edited by boorite

Maybe we should remind our ghost hunting friends that there are billions of electronic gadgets filling the air waves at all times.

The odds are that they are picking up some earthly signal rather than some voice from beyond the grave. My VCR used to receive CB signals from my neighbor, until he died. Since then, the uninvited voices have vanished.

Of course, maybe the voices were the sounds of angels calling my neighbor home. :lol:

I cant stop laughing at the suggestions given on one site that you should act like you know theres a ghost there at all times.

Is that how to get them to be more responsive? Are we to really believe that ghosts wont actually talk to us because we arent acting cool enough?

Perhaps we should set out a plate of cookies.

Edited by hazzard

I'd like to try EVP work sometime, but girty says no recording inside the house.. <_<

Maybe we should remind our ghost hunting friends that there are billions of electronic gadgets filling the air waves at all times.

Maybe one of your ghost hunting friends should remind you that he used to make his living as a sound man. :) Did you see my post immediately preceding yours? Many of us are well aware of crosstalk, and we still find some EVP interesting.

Of course, maybe the voices were the sounds of angels calling my neighbor home. :lol:

I cant stop laughing at the suggestions given on one site that you should act like you know theres a ghost there at all times.

Is that how to get them to be more responsive? Are we to really believe that ghosts wont actually talk to us because we arent acting cool enough?

Perhaps we should set out a plate of cookies.

Sounds like you laughing your tale off Hazzard -- :innocent: hmmm. OOOk then I have a question for you: :P

well, in these villisca axe murder house evps?? they don't sound like 'here, here ghostypoo, come out from where ever you are' sort of none sense to me.

Seriously, if they are all this tranquilled noise or whatever is in the air- "gadgets" -- how is it that the many captures on these evps have very similar tones, or vocals (child like) yet, the EVPs belong to entirely different groups of people, some independant, some not?

How is that explained? How is it that most of them sound similar to children (human)- specifically?

six children are killed plus two adults.... and all of these people turning in EVPs (there were many) are frauds?

Edited by Sunny98

Me and Boogey has beem over this before, so Im sorry for the replay Boogey. But I still believe that EVPs are most likely created by interference from nearby items that emit noise on low-level frequencies, such as CB radios or through cross modulation. Or, just background noise, and this background noise is recorded, and replayed. If something "interesting" is heard, the sound sample is isolated, filtered, enhanced, and otherwise changed as much as necessary in order to make the "interesting" sounds into something vaguely intelligible. And when I say vaguely, boy do I mean it!

Not even to mention that now, that the phenomenon has a number of devoted followers, some hoaxers have probably entered the fray.

Additionally, some of the "voices" people believe have been caught on tape are likely fueled by human natures propensity to try to make sense out of random patterns, called pareidolia, in this case, noise.

The face on Mars, hearing messages on records played in reverse and Electronic Voice Phenomena are examples of pareidolia.

Another possible explanation is that people may have used old tapes, knowingly or not, for EVP sessions, and that the voices they hear come from previous recording "bleeding through". To bad that Meek and ONeil from Spiricom, who promised direct two-way communication with the dead, never made it.

How cool would it be to call up my dead grandmother, but then again, this is exactly what keeps this idea of EVP alive.

The - What if...

We certainly have been over this before Compadre....many times.

The only issue i have with your argument is that it's all been taken into account by serious dedicated researchers and they have done trials in Faraday cages .....But yet the voices still come.

Theres lots of serious experimentation been done on this...But you just refuse to acknowledge the authenticity of the researchers even ,from what i can see.

I dont know where the voices come from....i dont think they are stray transmissions ...They are very very real though . If youd like me to link you in to some of the serious research thats been done (again) let me know. :tu:

Edited by Bogeyman

remilins

The - What if...

greetings from a new guy hazzard!

As I do not see a direct correlation between EVP and residual hauntings/energy ( a thesis I agree with) i agree with the assessment you made concerning the "crosstalk" variable as a CommTech i have had alot of trouble troubleshooting PA "gremlins" in grocery stores..........B

Edited by Barek Halfhand

I worked as a sound man for a few years off and on, and so I know all about cross-modulation. I've picked up conversations from marine radio on the house mains, AM radio Bible-bangers on guitar amps, and sports talk on synthesizer keyboards. Once, I even got blasted with an especially powerful CB broadcast through some speakers that were hooked up to an amp that was turned off.

feels spooky as hell.

You'll also get crosstalk on a (God help us) a Celine Dion record.

great thoughts (as usual )from the Boo boy

Get that AM invasion on my Peavy Bass amp as well...............gotta come clean Boo,I do at times picture you as looking just like Anthony Hopkins! :D

update:(on topic)went to arena moto-cross last night,with engineer co-hort of mine who is also a photo-buff/sound guy tech so look foreward to us reporting on little field experiments we are currently planning for your reviewing(and shredding) pleasure,,, planning EVP and photo experiments at some local famous sites(ressurection mary cemetary,site of Grimmes sisters bodies picked as first couple.....and we are going to "ask for permission" from any potential spectors prior to photographing/recording keep in mind as I'll will post a new topic to ask for advice(all ideas welcome) when we are ready to start.....b

"have the lambs stopped crying Clarice?"

Hannibal Lecter MD

Edited by Barek Halfhand

Regarding stray transmissions, definately something to be considered.

However, class A EVPs are typically in response to a question or comment. So they probability of receiving a stray transmission at the exact time after you have asked a question or made a comment that also is a good reply to your question/comment is exteremely unlikely. Even with class B EVPs, which are EVPs not in response to a question or comment, you know what a radio or TV channel sounds like. If you get something that says "Have it your way!" or "Are you in good hands?" or "Even a caveman can do it" it's a safe bet it's not an EVP. ;)

I think my EVP must be a class A + :D It responded to my questions as I heard it in live time

Edited by Anvil

Lance, have been collecting EVPs/ASSP for a couple years only. Started out as a flaming skeptic. I agree w what a couple others here have said: that EM interference, active imaginations comprise a portion of the would-be EVP. Plus fake captures. And yes I find a lot of genuine EVPs to have a forced, mechanical quality to them ... almost like their voices are comprised of ambient noise sources, including (perhaps) other living human voices. I also have EVP clips where it's quite clear they are mimicking others' and my own voice. But EVP voices can also sound "natural" - like a person responding to you or someone else as if sitting right there next to you lol!

Since it seems impossible to objectively prove the fact of the phenomenon at this point, my stance is to experiment for yourself and see what you think, keeping some common sense about the whole thing (like reduce noise sources & make note of extraneous noise, as you record).

I believe I have personal evidence for the existence of genuine EVP (as do many others). What makes me believe certain voices & sounds are anomalous, and not just stray radio waves, etc. are the strong contextual responses received to my questions or as it relates to the context of the (human) discussion at the time. To explain:

Where you have a reasonably controlled environment (for noise) and you say, "God bless you" and a strong voice immeditely follows yours saying "Thank you", you may have something unexplainable. If this sort of alleged coincidence happens more than once in a short recording, odds are higher still, against stray interference. There's also a quality of sound that deviates from most radio interference, in EVP.

The next step I take when getting a strong voice is to put it to the test, trying to rule out audio matrixing (mind forming patterns out of chaos). For this, I play the audio for people w/out prompting them as to what my interpretation is. The way I see it, if you have 20 people, and independently from each other they all, or almost all, hear the same word/s ... you can have more confidence you have a genuine EVP. Same thing goes for anomalous sounds, although sounds are harder to verify as EVP. I'm more brutal in what qualifies as a paranormal sound (vs. voice). Nor do I buy that EVP voices are certainly those of ghsts.

• 2 weeks later...

i always find evp interesting , i think its real, i havnt done much research into it but i have heard a few and they dont sound like a radio signal or anything like that