Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amityville House for Sale

Order66

THE house made famous in the 1979 film The Amityville Horror is up for sale in New York — ghosts not included.

The five-bedroom Dutch Colonial went on the market Monday for $1.15million (£805,000).

The film is based on the story of the Lutz family's brief stay in the house in 1975 after six members of the DeFeo family were shot and killed as they slept in the home.

Eldest son Ronald DeFeo Jr was convicted of the murders.

The crime spawned a book and a series of movies that chronicled various supernatural horrors, including visions of walls oozing slime, moving furniture and a visit from a demonic pig named Jodie.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Can I get that in writing :ph34r:

Whether it was haunted or not, I would never step feet in that house! Nor buy it. No thank you.

• Like 1

I WANT THAT HOUSE .. I DONT HAVE THAT MUCH $$$ THOUGH .. FAIL <_<

whether the haunting is true or not, i still wouldnt want to live in a house where people were murdered in.

• Like 1

I don't think that's accurate- the article is from May of last year. Currently 112 Ocean Drive in Amityville is not showing up on any real estate listings, but there are other pretty (and expensive) houses in the area up for sale.

Apparently it isn't even on Ocean Drive anymore either. Digging around a bit, looks like it was moved in the 80's to a Brooks Road, and a new house was constructed at Ocean Drive.

There is a second Amityville house too- the one used for filming. Apparently they weren't allowed to film at the real house, and located one in Toms River NJ that they decked out to look like the real house, then took off the facing after the filming was done.

It's a beautiful house. If you go to Google Maps and type in 112 Ocean Avenue, Amityville, NY, United States, you can see it. They removed the eye shaped windows years ago and put regular ones in.

The murders are a fact and that would bother me more than any supposed haunting, to see for myself would be intriguing. I'm surprised Jason and Grant didn't buy it in turn it into a B&B.

Tha Amityvile Horror is a hoax : ( love the bolded part the best )

The truth behind The Amityville Horror was finally revealed when Butch DeFeo's lawyer, William Weber, admitted that he, along with the Lutzes, "created this horror story over many bottles of wine." The house was never really haunted; the horrific experiences they had claimed were simply made up. Jay Anson further embellished the tale for his book, and by the time the film's screenwriters had adapted it, any grains of truth that might have been there were long gone. While the Lutzes profited handsomely from their story, Weber had planned to use the haunting to gain a new trial for his client. George Lutz reportedly still claims that the events are mostly true, but has offered no evidence to back up his claim.

Their account was likely influenced by another fictionalized story--that of The Exorcist. In fact, it is not much of a stretch to suggest that The Exorcist strongly influenced the Amityville story; recall that The Exorcist came out in December 1973. Demonic possession and hauntings were very much in the public's mind when the Lutzes spun their stories of demonic activity a year or two later. The revelation that the story was based on a hoax has led to embarrassment, especially by the handful of "paranormal experts" who "verified" the fictional tale. The Lutzes must have had a good laugh at the expense of the mystery-mongering ghost hunters and self-proclaimed psychics who reported their terrifying visions and verified the house's (non-existent) demonic residents.

http://www.livescien...lle-horror.html

Edit to add : As all stories of Demons and ghosts are.......Hollywood driven blind faith.

Edited by Sakari

I don't think I'd ever live in the Amityville house. It'd just give me the creeps. The place must be full of spiders.

Edited by Blackwhite

:) I like spiders and have lived in houses where death (variety) had happened.

This house is gorgeous.

Am3.jpg

Amity.jpg

Nibs

The truth behind The Amityville Horror was finally revealed when Butch DeFeo's lawyer, William Weber, admitted that he, along with the Lutzes, "created this horror story over many bottles of wine." The house was never really haunted; the horrific experiences they had claimed were simply made up. Jay Anson further embellished the tale for his book, and by the time the film's screenwriters had adapted it, any grains of truth that might have been there were long gone. While the Lutzes profited handsomely from their story, Weber had planned to use the haunting to gain a new trial for his client. George Lutz reportedly still claims that the events are mostly true, but has offered no evidence to back up his claim.

What evidence has William Weber offered? George Lutz stayed true to his story until his death as far as I knew, in fact I just looked at wikipedia and it said he sued the filmmakers of the 2005 remake for getting facts wrong. I don't know Jay Anson's position but in the foreward to the book he says the source material of the book came from audio taped interviews with the Lutzes. There was an episode of the TV show "In Search Of" that featured an interview with the priest who was depicted in the book and he gave creedence to the story ( you can find it on Youtube probably ). I remember reading somewhere an interview with George Lutz where he claimed that William Weber wrote the book in retaliation agains the Lutzes because he actually wanted to write the book that Jay Anson wrote. I will agree its all pretty convoluted but there is no reason to believe William Weber over everyone else.

I've always thought it curious... If the Lutz's were haunted, how come none of the other owners of the place suffered haunting? Not like the DeFeo's and Lutz's were the only ones that owned the house.

Edited by rashore

What evidence has William Weber offered? George Lutz stayed true to his story until his death as far as I knew, in fact I just looked at wikipedia and it said he sued the filmmakers of the 2005 remake for getting facts wrong. I don't know Jay Anson's position but in the foreward to the book he says the source material of the book came from audio taped interviews with the Lutzes. There was an episode of the TV show "In Search Of" that featured an interview with the priest who was depicted in the book and he gave creedence to the story ( you can find it on Youtube probably ). I remember reading somewhere an interview with George Lutz where he claimed that William Weber wrote the book in retaliation agains the Lutzes because he actually wanted to write the book that Jay Anson wrote. I will agree its all pretty convoluted but there is no reason to believe William Weber over everyone else.

Its a hoax.( confirmed )....You can keep the blind faith if it makes the story better for you.....

Even if you want to say " who do I believe ", let's try it this way....

Whine exists, hoax's exist, and money exists........Put all 3 together and stories like this exist also.....I would do it if I lived there.

Ghosts and haunted houses? No evidence at all.

Its a hoax.( confirmed )....You can keep the blind faith if it makes the story better for you.....

Even if you want to say " who do I believe ", let's try it this way....

Whine exists, hoax's exist, and money exists........Put all 3 together and stories like this exist also.....I would do it if I lived there.

Would you move out less than a month after moving in?

Edited by Halloween78

Would you move out less than a month after moving in?

Possibly, if I over extended myself and my business started getting slower and I knew it was going to be a financial mess.

Then I would try to think of how to get more money...

Nibs

None of the other owners seemed to have a problem. Even the DeFeo's lived there for years.

The current owners said they love the place- They closed on the house last year in September. The only things haunting them are all the frigging jacknapes who think it's ok to trespass in the name of curiosity.

And I have to correct myself on a previous post about the house being moved- that was a different house, not this one.

As for why buy a house and then leave after only a month? I dunno, maybe because it makes for a fantastic story. Buy a murder house, wig out before even making a payment, got a good excuse to dump the expensive property and launch a franchise. I would call it a brilliant plan.

Back to the original article- it's a year and a half old, and the house is NOT for sale. The current owners bought it about three months or so after it went on the market.

I can't tell you the Lutz's story was true, but I have just found it to be a weird story from any angle, very little about it seems cut and dry enough to just chalk it up to a hoax. I can say that I have watched and heard interviews with George Lutz and he seems to be sincere. I personally believe that he believes the experiences were real. I have also seen an interview with William Weber and I was not so convinced in his version of events. He talks like a used car salesman and that's what I think his version of the story amounts to.

I can't tell you the Lutz's story was true, but I have just found it to be a weird story from any angle, very little about it seems cut and dry enough to just chalk it up to a hoax. I can say that I have watched and heard interviews with George Lutz and he seems to be sincere. I personally believe that he believes the experiences were real. I have also seen an interview with William Weber and I was not so convinced in his version of events. He talks like a used car salesman and that's what I think his version of the story amounts to.

Like I said, either believe people made it up to make money..........

or

Believe that a Demon infested house ( that only effected Lutz, and no other families there ) exists......

I like to choose more towards reality myself.

( I think the demon story is more like a used car salesman myself )

Edited by Sakari

Weber is saying he concocted the story to get a retrial for DeFeo, so Weber is basically telling you he is a liar. Isn't it fallacious to believe Weber is telling the truth about the Lutzes, and that it's all a hoax? He's already discredited himself. At least George Lutz stuck to his story.

Edited by Halloween78

I was under the impression that the house in this movie is not the same house that was actually haunted... I thought the real haunted house was bulldozed many years ago? Have I confused this with a different haunting?

Edited by Obsessive

I was under the impression that the house in this movie is not the same house that was actually haunted... I thought the real haunted house was bulldozed many years ago? Have I confused this with a different haunting?

Maybe confused?

The actual house is still standing where it was built, but the people who lived there after the Lutz's had the address changed to try to throw off the curiosity seekers.

The house where the filming of the first movie was done is supposed to have been moved a bit to allow for the building of another house, but not demolished. It's been reported as being on Brooks Road in Toms River, NJ. Interestingly, that house is indeed up for sale right now. real estate listing.

It was my bad in an earlier post that I got the two houses mixed up, and reported in error that the real house had been moved.

You're probably thinking of the so called "Exorcist House" in Maryland. That house which many people thought was the setting for the exorcism that inspired Peter Blatty to write the book I believe was torn down years ago. It had a reputation for being the bad house for years, but as it turns out the boy wasn't from that area of MD and it was the wrong house. (The possessed boy ended up working for NASA as an adult. It blows my mind that he was once exorcised and yet grew up to send rockets to the moon!!!) They did renumber the Lutz's house in Amity at once point and redo the outside, but people know which one it is anyway and some people still go and gawk.

Do I believe the Lutzes? Partly. I do believe it's likely that something was going on in that house. After a multiple murder like that I can see there being something going on, but I don't think it was demons. I think George Lutz and his family were a lot like the DeFeo's and that probably caused stuff to happen. There are certain physical resemblances there and it may be that triggered it whatever happened. Or someone in the family, likely one of the kids may have attracted something by virtue of some sort of latent psychic gift. They likely embroidered what actually happened to the 9th degree most likely, I think. Good tall tale, at least partly, I think. George and his ex-wife probably convinced themselves it was all true by the time they were done.

There are many cases of haunting though where for some reason one family is just dogged by whatever is there but another only experiences random stuff if that. I firmly believe that when major shiz happens it's usually because someone in the family is open psychically to it and they unwittingly open a door. The next family comes along and they're all psychically null pretty much, and nothing worth mentioning will ever likely happen. If you can't be "heard" by anyone in the house then what's the point of making a racket, right?

But I don't believe that house was demon possessed or that Ronald DeFeo ever was. I think that was just what he dreamed up for court. It was his version of an insanity defense. Ghosts of his dead family bugging the Lutz family, now that I can see. Butchered in my own house by a member of my own family? I might be upset enough to stick around for a while and hope there was someone there who could hear me rage. Supposedly it was all about drugs and DeFeo being in debt to bad people and his father not helping when he could have given him money. Drug inspired rage killing, nothing paranormal.

Would I buy the house if I could and I had the money? Jury's out on that one. I'd have to see it myself, walk in there, spend a night or three there maybe. If I didn't get anything I'd probably buy it and turn it into a B&B like the Lizzie Borden house. That place would draw business, no problem. But if I walked in there and got really bad vibes? No way, no chance, ever. I trust my instincts on that score.

I think it could be haunted, yes, by the people murdered there. Why not? More likely than not I'd say, but I don't think they "talk" to just anyone. Maybe they hated the Lutz family for some reason. Maybe they don't mind the people who moved in after? But just because they're not rattling cabinets and such doesn't mean they aren't still there.