Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jihadists seize missile base

questionmark

Videos posted online Friday, apparently shot inside air defense base near Aleppo, show fighters linked to al-Qaeda participating in overnight battle, inspecting lines of large missiles.

Anti-regime activists say jihadist fighters linked to al-Qaeda fought with rebels to capture a Syrian military air defense base near Aleppo.

Videos posted online Friday apparently shot inside the base say Jabhat al-Nusra participated in the overnight battle for the base. The videos show fighters inspecting lines of large missiles.

Read more

It will be interesting to see if government forces destroy this base or just attempt to recapture it. I wonder if there is a supply of manpads there? When the army gets beaten down enough that this kind of assault happens on a base with chemical weapons the crap will really hit the fan.

I hope it doesn't turn into all out war between several countries. It does seem to be progressing towards that.

I hope it doesn't turn into all out war between several countries. It does seem to be progressing towards that.

If you let a conflict simmer without intervening (even if only supporting one side), at the end you always will have a bigger conflict.

If you let a conflict simmer without intervening (even if only supporting one side), at the end you always will have a bigger conflict.

This is one where there are NO good guys from the pov of the West. No matter who wins, we lose. But the rebels absolutely must not be allowed to capture and disperse the Sarin or VX. Full scale war if necessary but they cannot be allowed to squirrel away that stuff for use at a time and place of their choosing.
  • Like 1

This is one where there are NO good guys from the pov of the West. No matter who wins, we lose. But the rebels absolutely must not be allowed to capture and disperse the Sarin or VX. Full scale war if necessary but they cannot be allowed to squirrel away that stuff for use at a time and place of their choosing.

Then lets hear your brilliant idea to stop them.

if the US etc stopped helping Al Qaeda gain power in Syria...that would be a step in the right direction....

• Like 2

Forces like JSOC operators and support are already in Jordan and probably coordinating with the Israelis in case this comes about. The locations of most of the stuff seems to be known so when the bases are in danger of falling I suspect you will hear the news that we have entered the fray. As to stopping it - it shouldn't be too difficult if the intel is timely. The rebels and Syrian army are not real professionals. It only gets nasty if the rebels or Syrian army decide to actually USE the chem/bio. Then it becomes scary, fast. To their credit, the Assad crowd appreciate this truth and are trying to move the stuff to ever more secure locations. They KNOW what happens in the aftermath of a rebel victory over one of those locations.

eta that I don't mean to imply there would be no cost. We will lose troops in such a conflict and possibly many of them. Some dangers are worth the risk and THIS is one of them.

Edited by and then

if the US etc stopped helping Al Qaeda gain power in Syria...that would be a step in the right direction....

[media=]

[/media]

It would still happen no matter who is involved. You get different types of terrorists, heck there is even a christian terrorist group fighting Assad!

You are taking side with Iran who does not care about women's rights, if you lived in Iran or Afghanistan, they would put you away or kill you, whether in the US, they won't

[media=]

[/media]

You only know 30% of whats going on, you posted a youtube video of someones opinion. If this was ww2 then Id say you support Nazi Germany

It would still happen no matter who is involved. You get different types of terrorists, heck there is even a christian terrorist group fighting Assad!

You are taking side with Iran who does not care about women's rights, if you lived in Iran or Afghanistan, they would put you away or kill you, whether in the US, they won't

excuse me.....where did I mention Iran?

If there wasn't outside interference this whole thing wouldn't be happening like it is in Syria (like Libya before)

can you say.....regime change....?

But why the West would rather have Al Qaeda affiliated Islamists running Syria...rather than Assad...

is a complete mystery... :angry:

edit.......are you suggesting that removing Assad was a 'necessary' step before attacking Iran?

That they are going to try and hand Iran over to the Al Qaeda affiliated Islamists AS WELL.

Edited by bee

You only know 30% of whats going on, you posted a youtube video of someones opinion. If this was ww2 then Id say you support Nazi Germany

good job it isn't WW2 then isn't it.....

I don't follow your logic....what ARE you going on about...?

He might only know 30% percent but that 30% is a fact. The west is supplying arms to al Qaida, doesn't matter about the other 70% he doesn't know. It's pretty damn obvious what is going on in Syria youve gotta be blind or stupid not to realise that the public has been duped by the whole middle east BS. It only adds up to one thing. Al Qaida was and is being handled and orchestrated by the west.

• Like 1

He might only know 30% percent but that 30% is a fact. The west is supplying arms to al Qaida, doesn't matter about the other 70% he doesn't know. It's pretty damn obvious what is going on in Syria youve gotta be blind or stupid not to realise that the public has been duped by the whole middle east BS. It only adds up to one thing. Al Qaida was and is being handled and orchestrated by the west.

errrrrrr captain........'he'.......lol

If the West think they are handling Al Qaeda...I think they (we) are in for a shock.

edit to emphasise IF..

Who is handling who?

:unsure2:

Edited by bee
  • Like 1

The only people that need to be scared is the Syrian Air Force.

excuse me.....where did I mention Iran?

If there wasn't outside interference this whole thing wouldn't be happening like it is in Syria (like Libya before)

can you say.....regime change....?

But why the West would rather have Al Qaeda affiliated Islamists running Syria...rather than Assad...

is a complete mystery... :angry:

edit.......are you suggesting that removing Assad was a 'necessary' step before attacking Iran?

That they are going to try and hand Iran over to the Al Qaeda affiliated Islamists AS WELL.

Well there is, a war cannot be contained. You didnt understand

Forces like JSOC operators and support are already in Jordan and probably coordinating with the Israelis in case this comes about. The locations of most of the stuff seems to be known so when the bases are in danger of falling I suspect you will hear the news that we have entered the fray. As to stopping it - it shouldn't be too difficult if the intel is timely. The rebels and Syrian army are not real professionals. It only gets nasty if the rebels or Syrian army decide to actually USE the chem/bio. Then it becomes scary, fast. To their credit, the Assad crowd appreciate this truth and are trying to move the stuff to ever more secure locations. They KNOW what happens in the aftermath of a rebel victory over one of those locations.

eta that I don't mean to imply there would be no cost. We will lose troops in such a conflict and possibly many of them. Some dangers are worth the risk and THIS is one of them.

Here we go again, your brilliant idea is WWIII, thank you part one and two are still in bad memory.

Here we go again, your brilliant idea is WWIII, thank you part one and two are still in bad memory.

When you comment on financial matters does everyone assume you are a banker, Q? If you give an opinion of the weather does it follow that you are employed as a meteorologist? NOPE... so why do you talk BS about me when all I do is make a comment about a hot spot?

Blow it out your toe big fella :w00t:

Edited by and then

When you comment on financial matters does everyone assume you are a banker, Q? If you give an opinion of the weather does it follow that you are employed as a meteorologist? NOPE... so why do you talk BS about me when all I do is make a comment about a hot spot?

Blow it out your toe big fella :w00t:

It seems that the only way of conflict resolution you seem to know is violence. Most civilized people know that it does not work. And blowing something out of my toe is something you would have to teach me first, despite of only having three mine do not have any abnormalities.

It seems that the only way of conflict resolution you seem to know is violence. Most civilized people know that it does not work. And blowing something out of my toe is something you would have to teach me first, despite of only having three mine do not have any abnormalities.

You asked the question. I answered. If you have that opinion of me then do not ask in future. You are a bit pompous, friend, and it gets boring. Edited by and then

You asked the question. I answered. If you have that opinion of me then do not ask in future. You are a bit pompous, friend, and it gets boring.

Truth hurts, eh?

Focus on the topic please folks, keep the bickering off the forums.

I'd bet that Russia steps up to the plate and annihilates that base.

Or more likely will remove the munitions..... That is if the west stops hand wringing and sees that though Assad regime is not exactly pleasant, it is all that stands between complete anarchy in Syria. Sometimes this freedom thing, and I don't deny anybodies need for freedom, needs to take second place to security and realpolitik.

Or more likely will remove the munitions..... That is if the west stops hand wringing and sees that though Assad regime is not exactly pleasant, it is all that stands between complete anarchy in Syria. Sometimes this freedom thing, and I don't deny anybodies need for freedom, needs to take second place to security and realpolitik.

What you say is valid - it's also heartbreaking. Thousands dead, including children and the Syrians have to go back and try to live as though Assad didn't do anything wrong. I think in this case circumstances have caught up with and surpassed the realpolitik to create a new reality. Syria will bleed until a new strongman can take control I think. For their sake I hope he at least gives the illusion of being better.