Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Delivering Drugs in Tiny Balloons

international space station expedition 5 nasa

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,114 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

Space Station Live: Delivering Drugs in Tiny Balloons

Space Station Live commentator Pat Ryan interviews Dr. Dennis Morrison from NuVue Therapeutics, Inc. Morrison is the principal investigator of MEPS (Microencapsulation Electrostatic Processing System).

This experiment sought to deliver drugs stored in tiny balloons, called microcapsules, directly in to tumors or resistant infections. Research on the ground produced positive results and the technology was awarded patents.

Research using MEPS was conducted aboard the International Space Station during Expedition 5. The microgravity environment provided easier control of the production process of the drugs stored in the microcapsule.

Read more about MEPS:
http://www.nasa.gov/...iments/277.html

Read more about Expedition 5:
http://www.nasa.gov/...ml#.UxcqC4W0O7M

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Dumpnuts

Dumpnuts

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

• "Absolute Hogwash" ,Jay Utah by care of ChrLzs

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:53 PM

Ii thought something completely different when I read the title. Like sort of clown based drug smuggling operation.

Posted Image

"You guys, you gotta make it sexy. Hips and nips! Otherwise I'm not eating."

Rickety Cricket

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,114 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

View PostDumpsterJesus, on 05 March 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

Ii thought something completely different when I read the title. Like sort of clown based drug smuggling operation.
The reference to drug smuggling has to be the most predictable response to a topic title I have seen in a long time. So predictable in fact that I considered making a comment asking people not to be that off-topic. In the end I didn't bother because I doubted any one on this site would be that predictable.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 05 March 2014 - 04:04 PM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users