Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Creepiest things seen at night...

MetallicBlood

Wanted to ask if anyone here would like to share their stories on some of the creepiest things you've seen or encountered while out at night. Doing casual things of course, like going for a walk, bike ride etc.

The only creepy thing I've had happen to me was some weird creep tried following me home once, but aside from that I guess I'm just an anti-paranormal magnet :blink:

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MetallicBlood

• Supernatural Hunter

• WiCkEdWENDIGO

• Contract Killer Romeo

I get creeped out every time I go outside to walk the dog after dark. I'm a big chicken, always looking over my shoulder and trying to get the dang dog to hurry up. I don't know why I read these forums so much, lol. Only makes it worse. :rolleyes:

We live in a rural area where dark is DARK and all kinds of things go bump in the night, mostly Coyote's, bears and other animals. The most scared I've ever been, that I can think of right now, was one night the girls and I were walking to my grandma's next door after dark, it's not a short trip and we kept hearing something in the woods, halfway there we were running and my grandma said it was just a screech owl but it didn't sound like any screech owl I'd ever heard, unless it was on steroids or something, lol.

Edited by Raina

Hi All,

I've got a weird sighting from the UK;

about 7 of my friends, including me, camped illegally at a place called clee hill about 4 years ago. one of the sides has been quarried out and has a legde about 60-70 feet up with a small derelict building on it (approx 10 feet x 10 feet, it is a single room with no roof, the door is missing and two windows are also missing) there are also 3 -4 large dissused mining buildings on the side of the hill below the quarried area.

we climbed the quarry and set up 3 tents then started a camp fire inside the building. at about 00:00 - 01:00 in the morning we left the tents and went wandering around the larger buildings, trying to scare each other/get creeped out. my brother had a large camping knife with him and we took several photos which show him carrying the knife around the dissused buildings.

when we got back to the tents (maybe an hour later) my brother realised that he had left the knife in one of the buildings below. we agreed to go and get it in the morning.

we all turned in for the night and went to sleep. my brother and his friend decided to lay out of their tents and watch the stars. my brother fell asleep outside. during the night my brother woke up and heard someone moving about in the small building where we lit the fire, being sleepy and thinking it was one of us he got up and got back into one of the tents (it was still pretty dark and the friend that was lay outside with him was back in the tent) he swears that he saw a person moving around, hunched next to the embers of our fire. he said he was very big built, he actually thought it was one of our friends with a sleeping bag wrapped around him

when we got up the next morning the knife was lay on the floor next to the fire.

i know you're all going to think this is bulls*it but i swear its the truth, he definatley left the knife down in one of the buildings and none of us went down to get it (too scared to go wandering the abandoned buildings alone) and everyone swears they slept in their tents all night (Apart from my brother). we have no idea who the man in the building was but there are plenty of weird happenings on clee hill, there is an army/goverment base on one side of the hill and several satelite dishes on the top, people have said for years that it is a testing facility of some sort and there have been other sightings of disfigured/ape like men around the area and in the near by woods.

we havent camped there again!!!

Hi All,

I've got a weird sighting from the UK;

about 7 of my friends, including me, camped illegally at a place called clee hill about 4 years ago. one of the sides has been quarried out and has a legde about 60-70 feet up with a small derelict building on it (approx 10 feet x 10 feet, it is a single room with no roof, the door is missing and two windows are also missing) there are also 3 -4 large dissused mining buildings on the side of the hill below the quarried area.

we climbed the quarry and set up 3 tents then started a camp fire inside the building. at about 00:00 - 01:00 in the morning we left the tents and went wandering around the larger buildings, trying to scare each other/get creeped out. my brother had a large camping knife with him and we took several photos which show him carrying the knife around the dissused buildings.

when we got back to the tents (maybe an hour later) my brother realised that he had left the knife in one of the buildings below. we agreed to go and get it in the morning.

we all turned in for the night and went to sleep. my brother and his friend decided to lay out of their tents and watch the stars. my brother fell asleep outside. during the night my brother woke up and heard someone moving about in the small building where we lit the fire, being sleepy and thinking it was one of us he got up and got back into one of the tents (it was still pretty dark and the friend that was lay outside with him was back in the tent) he swears that he saw a person moving around, hunched next to the embers of our fire. he said he was very big built, he actually thought it was one of our friends with a sleeping bag wrapped around him

when we got up the next morning the knife was lay on the floor next to the fire.

i know you're all going to think this is bulls*it but i swear its the truth, he definatley left the knife down in one of the buildings and none of us went down to get it (too scared to go wandering the abandoned buildings alone) and everyone swears they slept in their tents all night (Apart from my brother). we have no idea who the man in the building was but there are plenty of weird happenings on clee hill, there is an army/goverment base on one side of the hill and several satelite dishes on the top, people have said for years that it is a testing facility of some sort and there have been other sightings of disfigured/ape like men around the area and in the near by woods.

we havent camped there again!!!

Damn, that's a good story! You know of any links that tell about that area?

Wanted to ask if anyone here would like to share their stories on some of the creepiest things you've seen or encountered while out at night. Doing casual things of course, like going for a walk, bike ride etc.

The only creepy thing I've had happen to me was some weird creep tried following me home once, but aside from that I guess I'm just an anti-paranormal magnet :blink:

Well I guess the creepiest thing I saw when I was out at night was when I was a young girl. I was in Guides and we went out camping in the countryside. Anyway we stayed at a field surrounded by a forest. Well my friends and I decided to collect berries and mushrooms lol and I walked into the forest. When I was in the forest I lost my friends and I strayed even deeper into the forest. I stumbled into this clearing and the air seemed really heavy and still for some reason. Then I saw a FRICKIN' crypt in the middle of the forest. I went to examine it and I couldn't believe there was this grave infront of me. Well feeling slightly spooked out I walked backwards and stumpled upon a girl's tshirt covered with blood just a few meters from the crypt. Then I felt like someone was watching me from the crypt and since it was already close to dark (twilight hour)I had this sudden feeling of dread. That was the last straw. I ran out of the forest screaming my head off. Mind you, I was only 14/15 at that time.

It don't know if this would count, but it was close to dark (around 6 - 7 pm EST)

I was walking to a Boy Scout meeting when I saw a guy waiting for a NJ Transit bus with a hideous, creepy smile on his face.

Back in early October of 1990 I was 17 and had been dating a girl for a long time. We were out on a date on a Tuesday or Wednesday night. Before I took her home we wanted to go "parking". It was late...around 11:00pm or so. The local high school was out in a rual area. We both lived close to it and it had a big pond and woods behind it. There was a gravel road that went behind the school and a parking area by the pond that was behind the baseball field. It was close so we stopped there. We had been there before but this night felt different. Something didnt feel right but we were horny.

Again it was a Tuesday or Wednesday night around 11:00pm in early October 1990. It was raining....as we got down to business there was a feeling of being watched. We were in my truck. I remember at one point I looked up and could of sworn I saw something go between the side truck window that blocked out a far away outside light of a building. The windows had rain on them making things blurred, it was dark, it freaked me out a little but I didnt say anything to her at first. I tried to ignore what I thought I saw but I couldnt. I told her I think we need to get out of here. She then told me she had a bad feeling too.

I started the truck up, the doors were locked....at this point it started to rain harder. As I turned on the lights I was glad we were leaving. I pulled out of the parking area and started back up the gravel road. It was raining hard like I said but something to the left of the truck caught my eye. (I still get gooosebumps thinking about this, I even have them now as I type)

As I was driving back up the gravel road just 20 yards or so from where the truck had been park was a figure of a man just about 15 feet off the gravel road to my left....bent over in the poring rain, at this point it was around 11:30pm at night. I slowed down and rolled the window of the truck half way down to get a better look...what the hell is this guy doing? The man had on jeans, some sort of long sleave shirt, a ball cap pulled down low on his head and he was digging in the mud with his bare hands, I stopped the truck....my girlfriend was screaming at me to go-go-go.....I came to a stop parallel to this guy, he stops digging, turns his head my way (the trucks headlights cast just enough light to the side to see him at this point)and stops digging....it was only for a few seconds but felt like forever....he then looks back down at the ground and starts digging with his bare hands again.

At this point every fiber in me screams floor it, and I did. I flew down that road and took her back to her house. She was shook up and so was I. How close did he come to the truck? Was it him that I saw move by the window? Did the sick freak try and watch? What was he digging for? He could of been high, drunk or both...but there was something about how he stopped digging and looked at us and then started back again.

We never went back to that spot. That night I got home and it was hard to sleep. The area that this happened was only about a half mile from where I lived. I didnt go back the next day to see what the digging was about. That point in my life was crazy anyway and I fiqured it was just some nut job out goofing off. No one around the area had been murdered or disapered....but that night I had the feeling that something bad could have happened, I am glad I left when I did. Who knows what might have happened.

I had quite a scary experience in the night in July 2006/7. I put it on the foruma while back, but nobody ever reached a conclusion to what it was, other than a big escaped dog.

I was on a hike with my scout troop, and we were walking through some woods in a suburban area. We were walking down a footpath that was only wide enough for two of us to walk down next to each other, and we were mostly in single file. It was really dark, about 10.30-11.30pm, and everyone was unusually quiet, there was an opressive atmosphere. We started to hear the something moving about in the trees, and one of the group leaders suggested that it was a deer. Now I'm not certain, but I wouldnt think that deer would live in roughly half a square mile of forest surrounded by street lights, with no grass clearings anywhere near (unless you count people's lawns).

Anyway, we carried on walking, and I saw a large dark figure in a bush. I shined my torch at it, and whatever it was, it ran across the path into the opposite trees with incredible speed, so fast that I couldn't keep my torch on it! Since we were in single file, only a few of us saw it, but those who did seemed determined to assure themselves that it was a fox - it looked nothing like one from what I saw.

It was hip-chest height, about the same shape and build as a small, thin pony, except it's head was circular, almost like a ball. It was black/dark grey/dark brown and ran on four legs. Like I said before, I already put this story on the forums with the general consunsus that it was a large dog, but apart from the size it didn't look like any breed I know.

Now I'm not certain, but I wouldnt think that deer would live in roughly half a square mile of forest surrounded by street lights, with no grass clearings anywhere near (unless you count people's lawns).

Yes, this is possible. We have 4-5 deer in an area behind the local supermarket that is probably smaller than a 1/2 mile square.

But... they don't have round heads.

Some creepy stories here!

I get chased by a dog always...street dog...

Dont like them :innocent:

Thanks

B???

One night I was ready to go out and look for my wife's wedding ring.( somewhere in the 90's)It was raining out , but this was a nightlly thing for me.The reason I was looking for it , me and the Mrs. had gotten into a big fight a while back , see , she had cheated on me with some young guy in his truck just up the road.We go into a big fight , tossed her ring on the side of the road , and I have not seen nor heard from her yet.....So , this night I go out to look yet again for the ring....I see the same dang truck that my wife was in when she cheated on me....I tried to stay quiet as I went to look inside to see if it was her again....OH MY GOD !....What a hideous site !....Those 2 made ugly Betty and Bill Gates look like super models ! ....I was scared to death , and sick....I immediatllety went back down the road and started digging around for the ring , trying to get that picture out of my head....And what happens than?...They drive up next to me and stop ! .....I was saying " NOOOOOO" in my head , begging for them to drive away....They finally flew out of there real fast....I kept looking for the ring...Still have not found it :)

Edited by Sakari

when i went to UAV school, me and the wife decided it would be fun to drive around the training woods surrounding Ft. Pickett (natty guard reserve base...basically abandoned) so we are on our way back and we come to a stream that was shallow enough to drive through but had a log in the way, so I jump out and leave the civic running. When i shoved the log out of the way, i felt a hand on my shoulder. I thought it was Jessica until, i looked and saw she was in the car. I drove out of the woods super fast. She didn't see anything in the car beams that could of touched me.

One night I was ready to go out and look for my wife's wedding ring.( somewhere in the 90's)It was raining out , but this was a nightlly thing for me.The reason I was looking for it , me and the Mrs. had gotten into a big fight a while back , see , she had cheated on me with some young guy in his truck just up the road.We go into a big fight , tossed her ring on the side of the road , and I have not seen nor heard from her yet.....So , this night I go out to look yet again for the ring....I see the same dang truck that my wife was in when she cheated on me....I tried to stay quiet as I went to look inside to see if it was her again....OH MY GOD !....What a hideous site !....Those 2 made ugly Betty and Bill Gates look like super models ! ....I was scared to death , and sick....I immediatllety went back down the road and started digging around for the ring , trying to get that picture out of my head....And what happens than?...They drive up next to me and stop ! .....I was saying " NOOOOOO" in my head , begging for them to drive away....They finally flew out of there real fast....I kept looking for the ring...Still have not found it :)

I have to admit that was funny. At least now I know it was you, :tu:

I have to admit that was funny. At least now I know it was you, :tu:

Everyone needs a good laugh now and again :) ......

It don't know if this would count, but it was close to dark (around 6 - 7 pm EST)

I was walking to a Boy Scout meeting when I saw a guy waiting for a NJ Transit bus with a hideous, creepy smile on his face.

I have also seen a creepy smile... One time a friend and I were walking from a movie theater to my favorite brewery and when we were about to cross the street this car drove by real slow. All I noticed about the car was this girl sitting in the back seat on the driver's side smiling the creepiest, most menacing, smile I have ever seen. My friend and I both stopped dead in our tracks at the sight of her and decided not to cross the street. We carried on in the direction of the brewery and the car she was in parked about a block ahead of us so we ended up walking toward her as she got out of the car. My friend and I were both afraid to cross paths with her. It is very strange to me that I was so afraid to approach her. She walked toward us as we got closer, still smiling. It seemed like she wanted something from us.. It was bizarre. I had to gather all of my courage just to look at her and say "hi". We freaked out once we passed her by and laughed hysterically for a while.

We thought that she was possessed by a demon, but now that a few years have passed I am not as convinced. It wasn't technically at night either, it was early in the evening.

Damn, that's a good story! You know of any links that tell about that area?

if you put clee hill into google images, you get can see some pics of the quarry, the satalite dishes and some of the buildings. i havent really looked for a website about the area. everything i've heard about it has been word of mouth / local legends.

i know the surrounding village has been on the regional news as they actually have their own dialect. a completely seperate language which the clee hillians use. i also know that on more than one occassion they have been cut off from other local towns due to snow, at one point in 1982 the village was cut off for 4 months without power.

the base on the sumit of the hill is quite heavily guarded and they respond very quickly if you come too near to the fence, people have said for years that the hill is actually hollow, with a vast network of tunnels or sites below ground.

intresting none the less!

That's amusing to hear :lol: Last year me and my friend were at a WalMart store, and there was this kinda odd looking guy there who was the greeter. Anyway I left the store first and waited in my car for my friend to come back out. When he got back in my car, he said "Oh my God, that guy in there gave me the creepiest, most evil looking smile when I was walking out". :huh:

I saw something that I can't explain and hope that someone can shed some light on it for me.

I live in Utah, and a couple of weeks ago decided to go camping with my girlfriend. I hate camping in the designated areas, (what's the point, right?) and so we looked at a map to find a really remote and interesting area. We decided to go out into the west desert above the Great Salt Lake. We camped right north of the lake about a mile or so, and about ten miles west of the Golden Spike National Monument.

We got to the spot we wanted to camp and got everything set up. The area was flat, but had a general grade down to the lake, except for a steep hill right below our campsite. After dinner, we decided to go hike down to the lake just for something to do. There was a full moon and absolutely no trees, so we didn't bring any flashlights as they were not necessary. The moon did enough to keep everything light. The only thing I brought was my Ak-47 just in case I saw a coyote to shoot.

The walk down to the lake took longer than normal and was somewhat disappointing because we couldn't get to the water. The tide was out, and we didn't want to risk running into any quicksand, so we just went back.

When we got to the steep hill, I helped my girlfriend to the top, and we crested it at the same time. The moon was still bright and full, and illuminated everything. We looked over at the campsite and I said "Look, there is the truck." Right as soon as I said that I noticed a huge shadow about 40 feet to the right of the truck. It was stationary, but a second later moved up and over my truck, almost like it was flying. Right as soon as it got over the truck about twenty feet it disappeared. The shape was completely amorphous, and all black, blacker then the tires on my truck. It moved quickly, and without any sound at all.

Right as soon as it disappeared I shot a single round of the rifle just in case it was a startled predator like a bear or cougar. I then looked at my girlfriend and asked her if she saw it too. She said she did, and didn't know what it was.

I'm a hunter and very familiar with the animals in the area. Bear, elk and deer would be very unlikely because of the lack of water and vegetation, and wouldn't be big enough anyways. The only animals that I think could possibly be in the area would be coyote, rabbit, pronghorn, and cougar. Each of these animals is sandy colored and relatively small, while the shadow was bigger then my mid sized pickup. Besides, any animal would have made noise moving through the sagebrush, and the shadow was completely silent. It didn't feel malevolent, but I did feel like the shadow could attack if it wanted.

If anyone can explain this to me, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

I was staying at my uncles house a few hundred miles from where i live and myself and my brother where sleeping downstairs in sleeping bags. I was unable to get to sleep and realised i really needed to go to the toilet (which was next to the front door). I then heard a deep voice say hello coming from that direction, i offered hello back but got nothing. I didnt go to the toilet until the morning! :o

I saw something that I can't explain and hope that someone can shed some light on it for me.

I live in Utah, and a couple of weeks ago decided to go camping with my girlfriend. I hate camping in the designated areas, (what's the point, right?) and so we looked at a map to find a really remote and interesting area. We decided to go out into the west desert above the Great Salt Lake. We camped right north of the lake about a mile or so, and about ten miles west of the Golden Spike National Monument.

We got to the spot we wanted to camp and got everything set up. The area was flat, but had a general grade down to the lake, except for a steep hill right below our campsite. After dinner, we decided to go hike down to the lake just for something to do. There was a full moon and absolutely no trees, so we didn't bring any flashlights as they were not necessary. The moon did enough to keep everything light. The only thing I brought was my Ak-47 just in case I saw a coyote to shoot.

The walk down to the lake took longer than normal and was somewhat disappointing because we couldn't get to the water. The tide was out, and we didn't want to risk running into any quicksand, so we just went back.

When we got to the steep hill, I helped my girlfriend to the top, and we crested it at the same time. The moon was still bright and full, and illuminated everything. We looked over at the campsite and I said "Look, there is the truck." Right as soon as I said that I noticed a huge shadow about 40 feet to the right of the truck. It was stationary, but a second later moved up and over my truck, almost like it was flying. Right as soon as it got over the truck about twenty feet it disappeared. The shape was completely amorphous, and all black, blacker then the tires on my truck. It moved quickly, and without any sound at all.

Right as soon as it disappeared I shot a single round of the rifle just in case it was a startled predator like a bear or cougar. I then looked at my girlfriend and asked her if she saw it too. She said she did, and didn't know what it was.

I'm a hunter and very familiar with the animals in the area. Bear, elk and deer would be very unlikely because of the lack of water and vegetation, and wouldn't be big enough anyways. The only animals that I think could possibly be in the area would be coyote, rabbit, pronghorn, and cougar. Each of these animals is sandy colored and relatively small, while the shadow was bigger then my mid sized pickup. Besides, any animal would have made noise moving through the sagebrush, and the shadow was completely silent. It didn't feel malevolent, but I did feel like the shadow could attack if it wanted.

If anyone can explain this to me, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

It was the smoke monster from Lost!! :blink: Haha but really, I have no idea. :unsure2:

Very interesting, your description seems well-informed and covers the usual questions of "did you actually see it do anything weird/are you sure it wasn't just a shadow", but then also you have a corroborating witness, etc. So not a bigfoot you don't think? Or mothman? Shadow person? Some other winged entity, or not winged, just agile?

I have witnessed things like story above numerous times , actually even 3 days ago...Not saying this is what it was , but I think so....Many diferent things can fly in front of the sun and cast very bizarre , fast , or slow shadows.Depends how far away they are from you , how big/small they are....I have seen shadows from planes to birds that made me look twice....Living in Nevada most of my life , a lot of rolling hills with nothing but sagebrush ( while hunting)...Planes that are high enough you can not hear them , but amazingly , their shadow ( if timing is right , and I was in right place , happened quite a bit) can be pretty cool looking going across the ground , and watching it speed up the next foothill....I can not explain how it looks , but I truly think this is what you saw.....As for 3 days ago , I am now in Oregon , a lot of tall Pine trees ( on the coast) , was sitting on back deck and sun was setting , trees in back were lit up by the sun , and as I happened to be looking there , a very big shadow flew across the trees at a amazing speed....Birds :)....Not small shadows either , the shadow alone ( very fast) , covered a good 15 feet across....And yes , birds for sure....

Edit , Ok , I am really tired...It was night...Possible a plane in front of the moon?

Edited by Sakari

Yeah people mostly scare me at night, weird city people yelling and stuff, creepy. But as for some random scary crap,, only in my apartment hahah will not go into detail but it was quiet obvious what was happening hahahah ahhh I don't miss living there.