Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rumoured Unicorn Sighting Reported

Still Waters

Amateur video depicting what could be one of the most elusive legendary creatures, the unicorn, has been captured on film by a Toronto resident. The video in question, shot by a local birdwatcher, Peter Hickey-Jones, shows what appears to be a white horse with a single horn on its head emerging from the trees in the Don Valley wetland.

Hickey-Jones brought the footage to the Ontario Science Centre to be analyzed by experts. The Science Centre is reviewing the footage frame-by-frame to determine whether Hickey-Jones’ claim is legitimate.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I've never really questioned wether or not Unicorns are real. Mainly because I see no logical reason as to why they wouldn't possibly exist. Also because I've never really thought about it too much. It certainly is more believable than say, a pig with wings. A unicorn would really just be a pretty horse with a horn. But anyway, where's the video? I read the article but saw no link to a video or any pictures. And the unicorn facts list is very interesting.

Edited by Ozzy Valentine

From the article:

"The Ontario Science Centre has set up an emergency unicorn hotline for the public for further information on unicorns or to report any unusual or questionable sightings."

Seriously? What kind of serious "Science Center" is going to set up a hotline for friggin' unicorns? Off of one questionable video no less?

I think somebody disfigured a horse for fun and it escaped. No wonder it runs from people, you would too if someone glued a horn to your head.

I've never really questioned wether or not Unicorns are real.mainly because I see no logical reason as to why the wouldn't possibly exist.

...but have you questioned yourself as to why they WOULD possibly exist? Horns don't just appear on animals, they evolve to have them, and seeing as how horses have never had horns...

Edited by Moonie2012

Yes, unicorns have goat's beard, a lion's tail, and cloven hooves; not just a horn on their head.

It is surely just a horse. A very pretty horse, but it would be a horse nonetheless. It is sad how the truth of the mythology dies with time.

Wesh_unicorn_statue.jpg

The_Hunt_of_the_Unicorn_Tapestry_7.jpg

Edited by Stormcrow

I think somebody disfigured a horse for fun and it escaped. No wonder it runs from people, you would too if someone glued a horn to your head.

Well, that would certainly be one explanation. :P

A unicorn would really just be a pretty horse with a horn. But anyway, where's the video? I read the article but saw no link to a video or any pictures. And the unicorn facts list is very interesting.

The video is in the article link. Look to the left of the article text and you should be able to see it.

Thanks a lot.

Wouldnt a real horse/unicorn be moving up and down or something? The way it moves makes it look like its a stuffed horse on wheels lol

Wouldnt a real horse/unicorn be moving up and down or something? The way it moves makes it look like its a stuffed horse on wheels lol

I thought the movement was very weird as well, I watched the video a couple of times and couldn't figure out why there was no rolling from the gait. It could just be a very smooth horse, like a paso fino, but it does seem really weird. The fact that he didn't bring his camera down low enough to see the legs could be suspicious too.

Why don't they just go out and look for it? This video seems fake to me. Again, I'm not discounting that they could possibly exist - Just because we don't understand something doesn't mean it couldn't be real - but this video seems like a work.

I noticed that too Mutation. It just slides through the picture.

Also, the horn doesn't taper. It seems to be the same width at the top and bottom. If it is a real horse, which i doubt due to the movement, perhaps it got shot in the head w/ an arrow. :(

Oh, my hoaxdar is going off...

Not that there haven't been reports of critters with one horn over the years. Or real critters with one horn either :)

But I'm betting that this is not a mythical magical horse born with a horn.

Why don't they just go out and look for it? This video seems fake to me. Again, I'm not discounting that they could possibly exist - Just because we don't understand something doesn't mean it couldn't be real - but this video seems like a work.

Mythologically speaking, a unicorn that doesn't want to be caught won't be caught, and won't be found. A person must be pure of heart to catch one, and they generally favor young virgin women. Haha, I'd like to believe in them, I think deep in my subconscious I do -- but I don't believe this video.

Edit: The arrow theory is actually a pretty good one. It's hunting season isn't it? Horses get confused for deer quite commonly.

Edited by Stormcrow

Mythologically speaking, a unicorn that doesn't want to be caught won't be caught, and won't be found. A person must be pure of heart to catch one, and they generally favor young virgin women. Haha, I'd like to believe in them, I think deep in my subconscious I do -- but I don't believe this video.

Edit: The arrow theory is actually a pretty good one. It's hunting season isn't it? Horses get confused for deer quite commonly.

First , I am 100% positive Unicorns do not exist...

Second , I hunt , and what hunter confuses a horse with a deer?.....that is not a hunter , it is a idiot....As a hunter , you do not take the shot unless you know you can hit the kill zone ( especially bow hunting) , 5-60 yards is what I use...( used to use , no longer hunt)...To mistake a horse with a deer is driving me nuts blush.gif ...or a Elk , Moose , Sheep , etc.....

Hmm.

Its a horse with a seat on its head.

You may be 100% sure, but there are some of us that would like such a pure, most special animal to exist in a place that so desperately needs it.

But trust me, it happens. If you've got a bay horse with a roached mane and pulled up tail, they look a heck of a lot like an elk or moose from a distance. My horses have been confused quite a few times, but luckily not shot at before. There are special hunter-aware items made for horses so that that sort of confusion can be avoided, even. As for a white horse with a nice mane like that, I admit that it would be quite a stretch, but then you also get people who are just cruel -- and stupid.

Totally on wheels. You would see the rump moving if it was a living animal.

Second , I hunt , and what hunter confuses a horse with a deer?.....that is not a hunter , it is a idiot....As a hunter , you do not take the shot unless you know you can hit the kill zone ( especially bow hunting) , 5-60 yards is what I use...( used to use , no longer hunt)...To mistake a horse with a deer is driving me nuts blush.gif ...or a Elk , Moose , Sheep , etc.....

With respect Sakari, isn't that why people are legally required to wear bright colored hunting outfits? Last year we discussed that guy that was shot a couple times because people thought he was a turkey. Confusing a deer and a horse at long range for bow hunting does not seem to much of a stretch. Regardless, this is not a horse with an arrow in it, as it seems to not be a living animal to me.

You may be 100% sure, but there are some of us that would like such a pure, most special animal to exist in a place that so desperately needs it.

But trust me, it happens. If you've got a bay horse with a roached mane and pulled up tail, they look a heck of a lot like an elk or moose from a distance. My horses have been confused quite a few times, but luckily not shot at before. There are special hunter-aware items made for horses so that that sort of confusion can be avoided, even. As for a white horse with a nice mane like that, I admit that it would be quite a stretch, but then you also get people who are just cruel -- and stupid.

I guess as I said , there must be some total idiots out there.lack of respect for the outdoors , and lack of education on hunting...It really makes no sense to me.I grew up and spent 42 years in Nevada ( Horses , Cowboys , Deer , Elk , Bighorn Sheep , etc.)..I just can not see someone not distinguishing the difference between a horse , and the tag you have to be filled....I really do not....I guess I just respect things more , and do not just " shoot" whatever is in my sites without knowing...Honestly , I do not know anyone that would mistake any of those , but as said , I grew up in Nevada ( and hunted Oregon / California / Idaho ) , so maybe we do not have the "redneck" mentality here?...I gotta be honest , If I ever heard of some idiot shooting a horse by " mistake" I would personally have to kick his / her ass...And they should have any priveledge of hunting revoked for life.....

Edited to add this : When someone is hunting deer or Elk , 99% of the time it is " bull / buck" only...So , if said people can not distinguish a horse from a deer / elk , how the hell do they distinguish a buck from a doe?....Idiots , pure idiots....

With respect Sakari, isn't that why people are legally required to wear bright colored hunting outfits? Last year we discussed that guy that was shot a couple times because people thought he was a turkey. Confusing a deer and a horse at long range for bow hunting does not seem to much of a stretch. Regardless, this is not a horse with an arrow in it, as it seems to not be a living animal to me.

As I said above basically , to answer most of your question.....As for the orange , that is not required in most states...As for bow hunting , you need to be pretty damn close to get a kill shot with a bow...I would not go over 60 yards ( that is what " responsible" bow hunters go with) , for the main reason a "kill" shot's average drops dramatically after that...It would be extremelly irresponsible to shoot with a bow over that in a non- marked target area.......Hunting accidents do happen , but honestly , if someone is responsible , they would not pull the trigger , or let off the arrow , without knowing 100% what the hell they were shooting at....Makes no sense as I said , but again , a lot of things idiots out there do makes no sense to me.......

Edited by Sakari

I guess as I said , there must be some total idiots out there.lack of respect for the outdoors , and lack of education on hunting...It really makes no sense to me.I grew up and spent 42 years in Nevada ( Horses , Cowboys , Deer , Elk , Bighorn Sheep , etc.)..I just can not see someone not distinguishing the difference between a horse , and the tag you have to be filled....I really do not....I guess I just respect things more , and do not just " shoot" whatever is in my sites without knowing...Honestly , I do not know anyone that would mistake any of those , but as said , I grew up in Nevada ( and hunted Oregon / California / Idaho ) , so maybe we do not have the "redneck" mentality here?...I gotta be honest , If I ever heard of some idiot shooting a horse by " mistake" I would personally have to kick his / her ass...And they should have any priveledge of hunting revoked for life.....

Edited to add this : When someone is hunting deer or Elk , 99% of the time it is " bull / buck" only...So , if said people can not distinguish a horse from a deer / elk , how the hell do they distinguish a buck from a doe?....Idiots , pure idiots....

It is not the "rednecks" who make those mistakes. It it the clueless people with no respect for nature and with no outdoor knowledge at all. I live in a really rural area in southeastern Missouri and we have had people from like St Louis come down here and shoot cows and horses. It gets ridiculous. I am not your stereotypical redneck either, heck I don't really fir any stereotype :lol:, but i respect nature, and enjoy spending time in the outdoors.

I think you are a bit naive because you haven't been exposed to the sheer idiocy, and carelessness, of some people that have the right to own a gun.

http://www.whmentors.org/saf/mtarget.html

Edit to add: I've looked at the video as close as I can possibly get it, and there is one section of bush in the bottom left corner that you can see through. I think it's pretty clear after looking through this that you can tell the horse is not moving. But then there's what looks like a swishing tail, and as it's entering the bush I almost want to think that you can see a leg lift up. It kind of makes me think of a live horse that's being pulled on a wagon or something.

I take that back, there is another short section that looks like a little neck movement... UHG. I'll make GIFs.

Edited by Stormcrow

I think you are a bit naive because you haven't been exposed to the sheer idiocy, and carelessness, of some people that have the right to own a gun.

http://www.whmentors...af/mtarget.html

Edit to add: I've looked at the video as close as I can possibly get it, and there is one section of bush in the bottom left corner that you can see through. I think it's pretty clear after looking through this that you can tell the horse is not moving. But then there's what looks like a swishing tail, and as it's entering the bush I almost want to think that you can see a leg lift up. It kind of makes me think of a live horse that's being pulled on a wagon or something.

I take that back, there is another short section that looks like a little neck movement... UHG. I'll make GIFs.

I am FAR from naive about hunting , I hunted for over 30 years , 20 of it bow hunting.I have seen some pretty disgusting and law breaking things , to many to write about , I have never seen anyone whom mis-identified a horse with a game animal..As I said , I consider myself respectful when it comes to hunting/outdoors , and the people I hunted and talked with....If you read my replies I mirrored exactly what your link said.....

Every year riders and hikers are accidentally shot by hunters who mistake them for game. Most hunters are skilled enthusiasts who take pride in their mastery of the hunting arts. But in virtually every category of people there are those who don't possess good skill and judgement, are impaired by alcohol or other intoxicants, or simply don't care.
Edited by Sakari

I think the real mystery here is: who has a statue of a unicorn just lying around, and how did they manage to drag it through the woods? Seriously, though, that is clearly a statue or stuffed horse of some kind.

"But in virtually every category of people there are those who don't possess good skill and judgement, are impaired by alcohol or other intoxicants, or simply don't care."

And those are the ones that will do exactly what you're saying is so hard to do. Simply because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. As that link very clearly illustrates, it most certainly can, and horses and riders must be prepared for the event that it does. Heck, Jeff Foxworthy even had a joke about some country fellows going hunting and shooting a propane tank. I am still on the fence about whether or not it was a real story, but I seriously would not doubt it.

For the hell of it, here are some stories. It happens...

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/Family-Horse-Shot-to-Death.html

http://www.ultimatedressage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=192951

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/powder-keg/7727-89-year-old-deer-hunter-shoots-horse.html

"But in virtually every category of people there are those who don't possess good skill and judgement, are impaired by alcohol or other intoxicants, or simply don't care."

And those are the ones that will do exactly what you're saying is so hard to do. Simply because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. As that link very clearly illustrates, it most certainly can, and horses and riders must be prepared for the event that it does. Heck, Jeff Foxworthy even had a joke about some country fellows going hunting and shooting a propane tank. I am still on the fence about whether or not it was a real story, but I seriously would not doubt it.

For the hell of it, here are some stories. It happens...

http://www.nbcwashin...t-to-Death.html

http://www.ultimated...p?f=17&t=192951

http://www.gunandgam...oots-horse.html

Where did I say it NEVER happens?....I said my experiences , and people I know....I even said " there are idiots out there" , and I said " I would personally want to kick their ass " , etc......Please read my replies before insinuating :)

I am blinded by the late hour and birthday cake. Went back and reread it and I think I ought to go to bed now before I miss anything else.