Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Japan will never stop whaling, minister says

Render

Japan's fisheries minister said Tuesday his country will never stop hunting whales, despite fierce criticism from other nations and violent clashes at sea with militant conservationists. "I don't think there will be any kind of an end for whaling by Japan," Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Minister Yoshimasa Hayashi told AFP in an exclusive interview. Hayashi, who took the ministerial post overseeing the country's whaling programmes in December, said the criticism of the practice is "a cultural attack, a kind of prejudice against Japanese culture".

http://phys.org/news/2013-02-japan-whaling-minister.html

• Like 1

"A cultural attack,a kind of prejudice against japanese culture" lmao yeah because trying to stop a group of people from hunting yet another animal to possible extinction is infringing on their rights.Get ******* real!People who throw around the word prejudice,words with ism or phobe need to wake up and realize that they are becoming just as big a problem as the ones they throw these words at.Everyone should learn to live and let live until a problem or situation actually needs there help,even then just saying words is not doing a damn thing.Actions speak louder than words.Words have no meaning unless backed by action.These conservationist should be commended they are acting on what they believe and say.

• Like 2

These idiots are like the stuck up fox hunting gits.

Human race would be better off wihtout this sort of people. ( I mean the pro whale hunters and pro fox hunters in case someone thinks I meant the Japanese.. lol)

• Like 2

These idiots are like the stuck up fox hunting gits.

Human race would be better off wihtout this sort of people. ( I mean the pro whale hunters and pro fox hunters in case someone thinks I meant the Japanese.. lol)

I am a hunter myself,but there are enough deer and turkeys around for everyone as long as tag limits and sensible responsible hunters are the majority.Much better to eat than cow,pig,or chicken!No antibiotics,GH,or any other garbage they pump into animals these days.

• Like 1

I think we will agree that taking wild game that no longer has much in the way of natural predation is one thing, but killing cetaceans is another, considering what we know about these beings.

• Like 4

Hopefully sea sheaperd will spend thier money on something useful, stop these terrorists!

• Like 1

The fox hunt and now its banning has always fascinated me about Britain, for a country that is supposedly refined and cultured to make such a thing out of something so barbaric. I guess aristocrats who have nothing better to do with themselves need the excitement of watching the kill (oh, and of course the chase). What is wrong with a little foul hunt instead?

It's just like Sea Shepherd says. It's all about culture and pride, and ignoring the fact that the fleet was economically sunk years ago. It's a taxpayers' nightmare; a barbaric relic propped up by federal government subsidies.

"Stop these terrorists!"? LMAO

Peter Hammarstedt doesn't play around. A million views in one day:

I would rather have my tax dollars go into fighting something like this than the pointless trash it gets wasted on otherwise.

fine.

lets call it fishing. Then make it very very clear that such fishing is illegal in Australian and New Zelandic waters, and any boats of such fishing fleets enter our waters they'll e seized.

• Like 4

fine.

lets call it fishing. Then make it very very clear that such fishing is illegal in Australian and New Zelandic waters, and any boats of such fishing fleets enter our waters they'll e seized.

Australia is doing more than any other country. Let's hope Japan can be stopped by Australia in court. If Australia wins in court and Japan still can't take a hint you guys should try some naval diplomacy and their game will be up real quick. Waiting on court proceedings kills a lot of whales. I just wish you guys would teach these arrogant poachers a lesson this season.

http://www.abc.net.au/environment/articles/2013/02/27/3698925.htm

• Like 1

I replied to this, but it doesn't seem to be there any more. That seems curious.

Anyway, I have little time for the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, who are just a bunch of pirates, but really, trying the Racism card?

Edited by Lord Vetinari

Australia is doing more than any other country. Let's hope Japan can be stopped by Australia in court. If Australia wins in court and Japan still can't take a hint you guys should try some naval diplomacy and their game will be up real quick. Waiting on court proceedings kills a lot of whales. I just wish you guys would teach these arrogant poachers a lesson this season.

http://www.abc.net.a.../27/3698925.htm

Whoever can get the job done yam

I replied to this, but it doesn't seem to be there any more. That seems curious.

Anyway, I have little time for the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, who are just a bunch of pirates, but really, trying the Racism card?

Pirates of compassion vs. pirates of profit. Not too difficult to pick your favorite "pirate" after all.

• Like 3

Does it really surprise anyone that a country who, not so long ago, thought nothing of exterminating entire villages and groups of people (torturing and experimenting with them) and who also execute their own, human citizens, would not have the compassion, morality or sense to stop killing these beautiful creatures? It doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

We should sanction them to high heaven. A one-week embargo - stopping imports and exports and crippling their economy - would solve this problem in around 8 days.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

Does it really surprise anyone that a country who, not so long ago, thought nothing of exterminating entire villages and groups of people (torturing and experimenting with them) and who also execute their own, human citizens, would not have the compassion, morality or sense to stop killing these beautiful creatures? It doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

We should sanction them to high heaven. A one-week embargo - stopping imports and exports and crippling their economy - would solve this problem in around 8 days.

I fail to see the connection. Or am I just glad us Germans don't do that. :unsure: Well, the Japanese, just like any other nationality, are not bad per se.

And I'd like to add: Japan is not the only nation that is hunting whales.

Edited by FLOMBIE

I fail to see the connection. Or am I just glad us Germans don't do that. :unsure: Well, the Japanese, just like any other nationality, are not bad per se.

The connection is one of a lack of morality. And my post was possibly a bit exclaimed by the fact that I think the Japanese stance on this is horrible. But maybe that's just because I liked Star Trek IV?

Germany, after WW2, made sure its citizens (both West and East) did not forget the actions of WW2. They did not try to hide it and went far in making sure nothing like that happened again in the future. Japan, however, for decades stopped their education system from revealing any of the actions committed by their forces, completely whitewashing their horrendous atrocities. So today's Germany, and today's Japan cannot be compared in that respect.

• Like 2

Playing devils advocate here:

Whether the creature is viewed as "beautiful" by some people is irrevelant.

Not sure that any other country can make this illegal for another country. However if the waters are in a recognized area of another country it can be done.

It's up to Japan to make this illegal. If it is legal, should people be terrorizing the ships that are doing the hunting. Where I am, it is legal to hunt deer. I would not be on the side of anyone who trashes deer hunters trucks because they feel killing deer is wrong.

• Like 4

Playing devils advocate here:

Whether the creature is viewed as "beautiful" by some people is irrevelant.

Not sure that any other country can make this illegal for another country. However if the waters are in a recognized area of another country it can be done.

It's up to Japan to make this illegal. If it is legal, should people be terrorizing the ships that are doing the hunting. Where I am, it is legal to hunt deer. I would not be on the side of anyone who trashes deer hunters trucks because they feel killing deer is wrong.

Big difference between whale hunting and deer hunting.Deer hunting has tag limits and there are millions and millions of deer.Whales not so much.

• Like 2

That depends on the kind of whale, though. They are not all endangered.

True,but are there limits on how many can be taken in a season?Do we have any statistics showing what kind of whales these fisherman go after?

Big difference between whale hunting and deer hunting.Deer hunting has tag limits and there are millions and millions of deer.Whales not so much.

But if it is legal, the hunters are not doing wrong. There are many who think that killing raccoons is wrong, but I have to because they are a menace to me. It's legal for me to kill them. If it was illegal, I probably would not kill them.

• Like 1

But if it is legal, the hunters are not doing wrong. There are many who think that killing raccoons is wrong, but I have to because they are a menace to me. It's legal for me to kill them. If it was illegal, I probably would not kill them.

I get what you are saying japan needs to police themselves a bit better on the issue,and yes raccoons can be a pain in the ass so damn destructive of anything they are around hahaha

• Like 1

True,but are there limits on how many can be taken in a season?Do we have any statistics showing what kind of whales these fisherman go after?

It's mink, humpback and fin wales that are killed. Happens in Iceland and Norway too :(