Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Green Man

Teen Cthulhu

Ok, I haven't been here long, so maybe this one was already discussed and I missed it when I was surfing the topics. Apparently there's a tunnel in Western Pennsylvania (I can't remember the name though, which is sad because I think I live very near it) where a man was struck by lightning. Apparently he died, and something about the lightning made his ghostly form green. I've never seen it, or know anyone who's seen it, but I hear some people talk about it. My Reading teacher a few years back actually took up a whole class period talking about it once, so I've decided to see I anyone else knows about it/believes it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• distortedpandy

• Teen Cthulhu

• joel@eeriepa.net

• KrazyAznTweakin

Yeah, I am. My friend lives rather close in West Mifflin (which is close to Green Man's tunnel), and I'm probably going out there this weekend. We're definantly gonna try to go see it, and I'll report anything I find out back to you guys on the boards.

Edited by Teen Cthulhu

I think everyone in western PA has heard this legend....and everyone has said their dad/brother/uncle/baby's daddy has drank with the dude :rolleyes:

I grew up hearing about this guy, and I will admit, I never met him :lol:

Interesting story but I haven't heard about it on the internet or the tv.

"It is said that if someone goes to the tunnel at night, turn off the car headlights, and call for him -- he will appear and come toward your car. His face may appear in the car window or he try to place his hands on your car window"

WOW, if i lived near there, I would be down there with friends every night looking for him! Thats a cool urban legend.

WOW, if i lived near there, I would be down there with friends every night looking for him! Thats a cool urban legend.

eh...it's ok..

:lol:

dude, i would drive there and bring my friends,,,,,,,,you know how freakin scary that would be, a green man just coming up and putting his hand on your windshield,,,,and probably less painful than Bloody Mary

I've heard of something like that, but instead of just making him green he'd come out at night with a long scythe of some kind and kidnap innocent people, tie them up, and decapitate them. It could be another legend, though... lol :devil:

dude, i would drive there and bring my friends,,,,,,,,you know how freakin scary that would be, a green man just coming up and putting his hand on your windshield,,,,

To be honest, I don't think he's alive anymore :no:

Sadly there was no nudity, nor Green Man

I always heard that the green man was actually a man that lived around here, not a ghost........gawd, who knows ^_^

*doesn't care*

• 2 weeks later...

the green man is just a freakish vegetarian with some pigment disease due to lack of meat lol

• 3 months later...

Hello, I am Jay and I know all about the Green Man. First of all, I live right by his tunnel so I've heard the true version of the story. Supposedly, the "Green Man" (before he was green) worked at a power plant. I believe it was Allegheny Power. Anyhow, one day, he was working at the plant and fell. He fell down onto something that was of high voltage. Before anybody could get down to him, he vanished. He escaped to a tunnel in which salt for salting the roads is stored. Supposedly, he was "super charged" with electricity that his body turned green, but somehow all of that electricity made it so he never dies. They say when you are right by his (salt storage)tunnel, the defroster on your car won't work Also, right before you get to the Green Man's Tunnel, you go under a concrete tunnel, which is called Corvette Tunnel. It is called that because one night, a woman was driving her Corvette through there and recked into another car. She died, but they say at midnight, if you are by the concrete tunnel, you will hear her ghost scream just before she racked. But wait! There is still yet another story about that very tunnel. There is (or maybe used to be, I haven't been down there lately) a little creek that ran by the concrete tunnel (Corvette tunnel). And one night, a guy killed his wife, chopped her up, and dumped her in that creek. They say if you walk through that tunnel, you may feel her ghost hands grab you legs, but you can't see her. I will ask my father next time I see him because he knew somebody who worked with the Green Man in the power plant before the accident. Also, I think he knows the name of the Green Man. I will keep you updated. P.S. Remember, if you go there, the concrete tunnel is Corvette Tunnel, the tunnel that (I believe had doors on it) you cant drive through, that is the Green Man's Tunnel.

Edited by GreatJay

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I haven't been here long, so maybe this one was already discussed and I missed it when I was surfing the topics. Apparently there's a tunnel in Western Pennsylvania (I can't remember the name though, which is sad because I think I live very near it) where a man was struck by lightning. Apparently he died, and something about the lightning made his ghostly form green. I've never seen it, or know anyone who's seen it, but I hear some people talk about it. My Reading teacher a few years back actually took up a whole class period talking about it once, so I've decided to see I anyone else knows about it/believes it.

its green mans tunnel.. im trying to find his house.. my grandma used to take him food n sh** do you know where it is by any chance.. im not to worried abotu the tunnel now that will be easy to find.. if you could let me know before this friday id be very happy.. if you have aim you can try contacting me on x iiScArMySelF x .. hope to hear from you soon.. we really would liek to find his place.. me n my friends are ghost hunters n were trying to find new places n this is a new little obcession of mine..

Maybe it's just a bum in a leprechaun outfit

You know the green man in mythology is actually Dionysus(Bacchus), the god of festivals, fertillity, and wine.

• 3 months later...

the green man story is actually based in fact. the mans real name was ray robinson and he lived in northern beaver county pa. he died in the 80's i believe. but he was indeed the victim of some type of electrocution. and his face was horribly disfigured he also lost some of his arm. he would walk along the road at night and people would stop by and chat with him. he was a very nice man, we used to bring him cans of beer as a teenager. and he would make this sucking sound when he drank because he had no lips. i drank with him many times along that dark road and he knew why people came to see him. it was kind of sad. but at the same time it was his only contact with the ouside world.

I've heard about this story. And it was even on "Most Scary Stories" or something like that. The story itself is extremely interesting.

Thanks GreatJay & dirty whiteboy for the info! Sounds kinda cool?

We did an article on the Green Man in our first issue, check it out for the full scoop.

The above poster is correct- His name was Ray Robinson, and disfigurement due to an electrical accident led to his penchant for night time walks.

Our first isue also has the first ever published photo of the Green Man, which always elicits a 'Holy ****' when someone turns to that page.

~Joel

Our first isue also has the first ever published photo of the Green Man, which always elicits a 'Holy ****' when someone turns to that page.

Can you post the picture of him? I'd be interested in seeing that.