Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tobacco display ban in Scotland

Render

"Thank you for looking after us, Nanny"

s3070.gif

• Like 1

After these ludicrous nibbling around the edges of the smoking issue isn't it time just to ban it? I don't think civil rights can be used as opposition now as they have banned people smoking just about everywhere and got away with it.

Oh wait it's the revenue loss they don't want to stomach, same as in the UK.

• Like 1

we have had that for a few years in Australia.. now we have it on the cig packet itself.. i am a former smoker, and stupidly bought a packet two weeks ago when i had a weak moment, sigh.. (i wet them all after smoking two) but to my horror, the whole packet had zero anything on it, except grotesque pictures of cancer and a simple and small wording of what brand it was.. we had the horrid pictures before, but at least you could still see what brand the packet was.. as for me the packet was part of the attraction.. so i guess cigarette cases will make a massive come back.. and cigs cost about $17 a packet here too.. the govt makes most of that money.. i bet they will ban them entirely in another 20 years..

• Like 1

"The ban on tobacco product displays is already in force in England, Wales and Northern Ireland."

Where?....Shops I go in have the display at the back of the counter like they always have.

Just like 'with bells on' said, its been like that in Australia for years. Now this is what the cigarette packets look like here:

cigarettes-australia.jpg

Tobacco-plain-packaging-w-008.jpg

Hasn't stopped any of my mates from smoking.

Also I've noticed there are a lot of cigarette cases/tins on sale now at service stations etc.

We a display ban in Canada. Still plenty of people smoking.

Ottawa! Great place.

I'm always amazed with the convenience store employees when someone asks for cigarettes. They have dozens of little doors hiding the smokes and they always seem to know where each brand is.

Just shows you there's a lot of people still smoking.

Just like 'with bells on' said, its been like that in Australia for years. Now this is what the cigarette packets look like here:

cigarettes-australia.jpg

Tobacco-plain-packaging-w-008.jpg

Hasn't stopped any of my mates from smoking.

Also I've noticed there are a lot of cigarette cases/tins on sale now at service stations etc.

Now will it until they get aware of the fact that nicotine is many times more addictive than heroin and they realize that it is tobacco driving them, not themselves.

Thats what they wanted to dump on us in america ? Damn.

"The ban on tobacco product displays is already in force in England, Wales and Northern Ireland."

Where?....Shops I go in have the display at the back of the counter like they always have.

I was speaking to someone from Brum at the weekend who was saying they're in some cabinet now?

I really am a strict non-smoker, I absolutely abhor it, and think that the ban in enclosed places (like pubs) was the best move, but for crying out loud, if grown adults want to smoke, why make them feel embarrassed about it, like it's some taboo? We're old enough to make our own decisions. Even kids- I made the conscious decision even though a good few of my friends smoked. Hell, I even really enjoyed reading the Lambert and Butler ads on all the Billhoardings, and actually felt sad reading the last one.

I was speaking to someone from Brum at the weekend who was saying they're in some cabinet now?

I really am a strict non-smoker, I absolutely abhor it, and think that the ban in enclosed places (like pubs) was the best move, but for crying out loud, if grown adults want to smoke, why make them feel embarrassed about it, like it's some taboo? We're old enough to make our own decisions. Even kids- I made the conscious decision even though a good few of my friends smoked. Hell, I even really enjoyed reading the Lambert and Butler ads on all the Billhoardings, and actually felt sad reading the last one.

I smoke. Not proud of it.

We have no smoking in all public places including pubs, restaurants, shopping malls etc. In some places it's banned outdoors. Government buildings and hospitals you can't smoke within ten meters of the entrance.

And even outdoors, you are not allowed to smoke at a bus stop!

Now will it until they get aware of the fact that nicotine is many times more addictive than heroin and they realize that it is tobacco driving them, not themselves.

Nicotine by itself isn't actually all that addictive... no more so than caffiene is. But nicotine combined with cynide, carbon monoxide, and nicosamide and the 3000 other chemicals in cigarettes are HIGHLY addictive.

10 months ago I switched to an ecig in which the only active ingedient is nicotine. I don't crave it any more than I crave a cup of coffee and can go hours and hours without a nicotine hit... in fact, I could dump the nicotine in the liquid I use and be fine with it, in fact, I have mostly dumped the nicotine solutions, I don't really notice a difference.

Those packets that are being branded with those images are actually making the tobacco companies richer, not poorer. If the companies don't have to waste money designing and making branding for their products, it means they have a marginal but noticeable increase in yearly profits.

Same goes for banning advertising. Thousands or even millions of dollars each year not needed to spend on advertising.

I smoke. Not proud of it.

We have no smoking in all public places including pubs, restaurants, shopping malls etc. In some places it's banned outdoors. Government buildings and hospitals you can't smoke within ten meters of the entrance.

And even outdoors, you are not allowed to smoke at a bus stop!

I lost my mom to lung cancer (lifelong smoker) but I still believe that if the government is going to vilify a class of citizens for their behavior then they should just ban the substance instead. But they are too cowardly AND greedy to give up the revenue. I have no problem with bans on smoke in an indoor public venue like restaurants or bars. But when a person cannot even smoke in the outdoors I say it's a step too far!

I lost my mom to lung cancer (lifelong smoker) but I still believe that if the government is going to vilify a class of citizens for their behavior then they should just ban the substance instead. But they are too cowardly AND greedy to give up the revenue. I have no problem with bans on smoke in an indoor public venue like restaurants or bars. But when a person cannot even smoke in the outdoors I say it's a step too far!

You can't ban the substance, this is just silly. All it does is create a black market and gangsters, while persecuting the innocents who simply enjoy using whatever substance it is.

I mean think about it rationally. If you're going to keep drugs illegal, ban tobacco (and also alcohol, obviously, as it is in exactly the same category as the aforementioned), then where does it end? By far the largest substance abuse killer in Britain is solvent abuse. In Britain it kills almost more people (in some past years 'more', not 'almost more') than all other drugs combined (my brother was one of those statistics, way back when). So, what? Should we then ban deodrant? Lighter fuel? Hairspray? Glue? Petrol?!

The substance isn't the issue that needs addressing. The individual user dependance is what needs to be addressed. Whether it be cocaine, heroin, tobacco, alcohol, or glue, money should be invested in helping people with their substance abuse and dependance, not wasted on 'policing' recreational or even habitual users.

People should be allowed to put whatever they want into their own bodies, until it starts to affect other people around them. Then they should be given proper help.