Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is at the edge of the unvierse

GUNNARY SEARGENT HARTMAN

Anyone have any theories??

Thanks, GUNNARYSEARGENTHARTMAN

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Virtual Particle

• greggK

• sepulchrave

• Meiliken

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's at the edge of the universe? The edge of the universe of course! Don't blink or you'll miss it.

I have a question... Does it matter?

Well I've always had a theory that at the end of the universe space begins to become narrow like the way a cone is from the open wide side of the cone to the narrowing shape of the cone were it becomes small. Through that small point leads to another cone which leads to a parallel universe.

Edited by As a Matter of Fact

What's at the edge of the universe? The edge of the universe of course! Don't blink or you'll miss it.

I have a question... Does it matter?

I have one for you, do you understand philosophy? Obviously not.

I have one for you, do you understand philosophy? Obviously not.

If asking why does it matter is not philosophical I don't know what is. Understand yourself. The rest will come later. :tu:

My question still stands. Does it matter?

Edited by Dr. Peter Venkman

The question is probably meaningless. If our universe is the three dimensional surface of a four dimensional sphere, which it appears to be, there is no more "edge of the universe" than there is "edge of the earth" that you could fall over. It's more a question of geometry than philosophy.

The universe is infinite, and there is no edge. That is all.

The universe is infinite, and there is no edge. That is all.

Hense the don't blink or you'll miss it comment up above.

Gotta keep on your toes man!!!!!

in order of the universe to have an edge it would have to be contained or surrounded by something else.

It's about as logical as Santa Claus actually existing.

Edited by ravergirl

I already said this a while ago on another thread; but what about a finite universe with no boundaries. For example, imagine the inside of a sphere; you can keep going around and around on the inside without meeting an 'edge' as such, but there's a finite size to this sphere. There's my theory :D Probably completely wrong but it sounds good.

IMO...there is no edge of the universe...the universe is never ending, infinate.

I would suggest that the present is unlike a surface and if you wanted to understand the edge, perhaps at the point, the surface actually makes contact with the sky. From a practical standpoint the Universe could have a circumference of about 28 billion light years. Which would explain, why at present, there are those who say the Universe is flat, its circumference while potentially, so impressive, is nothing, compared to its volume.

The present still constitutes a surface....

Any thoughts?

theres this thing called parallel universe theory. theres no border but instead you enter different dimensions

There isn't an edge...

In an expanding Universe one could conclude that there is an edge and conditions there could be much more viscous than they are here. The Universe is expanding so if one were to travel to the places where that expansion is pushing up against space time is probably near 0 Kelvin it would be quite a reaction. We might also isolate alternate states of matter beyond plasma, today there is discussion about the early Universe being more like a fluid than it is now so that is probably relatable. According to Einstein the Universe is finite but Boundless to perhaps offer an in kind opinion the Universe has an edge but also does not, as far as we know.

It is not a matter of saying that they are one or the other, the issue is that they are both and at the same time in space.

Any thoughts?

Yes but as someone said you can't fall off the edge of the earth but next to the earth is space. This could mean that there is something next to it. Also, someone said something about the universe expanding. I believe that5, so if it's expanding, it needs space to expand, so 1. What is this space and what is in it, other galaxies, other universes, or 2. It forcing the edges surrounding the universe out, so what is surrounding our universe in the first place?

I don't think we'll know untill we get a telescope powerfull enough to see past the past.Because when you think about it by the time you look

a few light years away you are seeing the past.

Yes but as someone said you can't fall off the edge of the earth but next to the earth is space. This could mean that there is something next to it. Also, someone said something about the universe expanding. I believe that5, so if it's expanding, it needs space to expand, so 1. What is this space and what is in it, other galaxies, other universes, or 2. It forcing the edges surrounding the universe out, so what is surrounding our universe in the first place?

As far as it is know today space/time goes on forever in so much as there may be other packets of matter like this Universe sure why not. Reality, this being the culmination of all that exists could still be outside the realm of our understanding in many ways.

See attached...

Any thoughts?

ParallelUniverses_1_.pdf

Edited by Triad

Asking if the universe has an edge demonstrates lack of understanding of geometry. You won't ever get a satisfying answer until you have a firmer grasp of how different dimensions operate within one another. I could try to explain it to you but I've noticed that I don't explain what I understand very well. :) I just end up confusing people.

Yeah, but how can you "debunk" my theory of the universe having an edge. You saying it's to do with Geometry is all well and good, but saying that the universe having an edge is ludicrous, is well, ludicrous until you have irrefutable facts.

Thanks,GUNNARYSEARGENTHARTMAN

Edited by GUNNARYSEARGENTHARTMAN

There isn't one. It appears that the universe is finite yet unbounded, meaning it doesn't extend to infinity, but it doesn't have an edge either. It curves back around on itself, so if you were to keep going you would just end up back where you started.

Exactly, similarly to how if you kept running back around a sphere on its surface as a 2d person. To yourself it might appear like your running forever but all you're doing is running in circles. The expansion of the universe is similar to this. There is no edge.

In an expanding Universe one could conclude that there is an edge and conditions there could be much more viscous than they are here. The Universe is expanding so if one were to travel to the places where that expansion is pushing up against space time is probably near 0 Kelvin it would be quite a reaction. We might also isolate alternate states of matter beyond plasma, today there is discussion about the early Universe being more like a fluid than it is now so that is probably relatable. According to Einstein the Universe is finite but Boundless to perhaps offer an in kind opinion the Universe has an edge but also does not, as far as we know.

It is not a matter of saying that they are one or the other, the issue is that they are both and at the same time in space.

Any thoughts?

The assumption there is that space is analogous to the matter contained within it, it is not. It is also incorrect to say the Universe is expanding, space is expanding.

Space can expand while having no boundaries because space doesn't have a quantity of measurement (afaik). I know this sounds confusing and any analogy is rather poor, but the (well-worn) balloon analogy will serve as well as any other. Either draw something on a deflated balloon or coat it with something. Imagine we can't measure the balloon, but can measure the drawing/coating. Now inflate the balloon and measure the effect of this inflation on the drawing/coating.

We can't measure 'space' but we can see the effect of the expansion of space on what it contains/'coats' it. Space has no measurement/size - in the context of inflation/expansion space is the quality of dimensionality rather than the quantity of the dimension.

Asking if the universe has an edge demonstrates lack of understanding of geometry. You won't ever get a satisfying answer until you have a firmer grasp of how different dimensions operate within one another. I could try to explain it to you but I've noticed that I don't explain what I understand very well. :) I just end up confusing people.

That's only true to an extent. You're actually brushing on science farther above than just geometry. You're brushing on physics, quantum physics, cosmology, as well as several others. A good analogy might be thinking of a bubble in water. The air inside the bubble is the entire universe. All of space, the trillions of stars, planets, black holes, white holes, galaxies, gases and whatnot all inside this bubble. The outside of this is unknown, perhaps a chaos of matter/antimatter. I'd think a better question would be "what is at the very center of the universe?" If there is an outside to our universe, and an inside to our universe, then there is a center we've not found yet. Now if this is a bubble of existence floating in an eternity of chaos, then the possibility of there being other bubbles with alternate universes exists. Geometry is only the beginning, not the end, of understanding.

Btw, I know where you're thinking is coming from since I use physics in 3 dimensional models in a 3 dimensional space. But there is a construct that exists outside of the 3 dimensional space on the computer. To think there isn't a construct that holds this universe is not grasping the fundementals of science.

The assumption there is that space is analogous to the matter contained within it, it is not. It is also incorrect to say the Universe is expanding, space is expanding.

Space can expand while having no boundaries because space doesn't have a quantity of measurement (afaik). I know this sounds confusing and any analogy is rather poor, but the (well-worn) balloon analogy will serve as well as any other. Either draw something on a deflated balloon or coat it with something. Imagine we can't measure the balloon, but can measure the drawing/coating. Now inflate the balloon and measure the effect of this inflation on the drawing/coating.

We can't measure 'space' but we can see the effect of the expansion of space on what it contains/'coats' it. Space has no measurement/size - in the context of inflation/expansion space is the quality of dimensionality rather than the quantity of the dimension.

Taking into consideration that space-time is in fact expanding and that the effect is particular to the conglomeration of matter we see, when we refer to the Universe. That space-time is an aspect of this Universe and if it were not for the matter there would be no expansion as we observe. That is not to say that matter per say is the only thing that can cause what we are observing, or that it is even the cause. It is to present that what we call the Universe often references as everything that exist.

Main Entry:uni·verse

Pronunciation:\ˈyü-nə-ˌvərs\

Function:noun

Etymology:Middle English, from Latin universum, from neuter of universus entire, whole, from uni- + versus turned toward, from past participle of vertere to turn — more at worth

Date:14th century

1: the whole body of things and phenomena observed or postulated : cosmos : as a: a systematic whole held to arise by and persist through the direct intervention of divine power b: the world of human experience c (1): the entire celestial cosmos (2): milky way galaxy (3): an aggregate of stars comparable to the Milky Way galaxy

2: a distinct field or province of thought or reality that forms a closed system or self-inclusive and independent organization

3: population 4

4: a set that contains all elements relevant to a particular discussion or problem

5: a great number or quantity <a large enough universe of stocks…to choose from — G. B. Clairmont>

© 2009 Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

I understand the part of the Baloon analogy and that a ship which could travel at says at one half billion light years per day could end up where it started. Nonetheless, there is an observable edge to what we call the Universe hence the term finite but boundless. As difficult as it is to understand the Universe is finite as we understand it and as a result has an edge. It is also boundless and therefore infinite, which means it, has no edge.

Were getting into issues concerning Unified Field Theories in which we try to understand what makes the Universe both finite and infinite. In Cosmology were the finite aspects of our Universe are observable and in Wave theory were non-linear aspects are very clear. Albert Einstein make clear both sides were right as far as how finite and infinite aspects of our Universe are consolidated that is the question.

Any thoughts?