Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Formosan clouded leopard extinct

Grandpa Greenman

I wonder if it is not so much a racial/ethnic thing and rather more a financial/economic thing. There is definitely an educational component, or lack there of here, which also translates into a financial/economic thing.

I think you have a valid point. I would find it hard to believe that there's some sort of "green" gene that only is found in Caucasians. I could imagine that the priority of environmental/animal welfare issues are rather far down the list in societies that exist hand to mouth, no matter what ethnicity.

But I still think these studies are on to something. Whenever you look at an environmental protest it does seem to be predominately white kids. From my interests in animal rights/welfare I know that the first animal cruelty legislation and organizations were created in Britain. And they were sorely needed. Caucasians are certainly just as susceptible to animal cruelty and environmental destruction. Perhaps it just takes time.

I suppose it's easy for Europeans to complain about people in developing countries trashing the countryside and killing and selling anything that moves. But don't forget, Europeans and no one else are responsible for exterminating all large European mammals that might be seen as a threat or competitor.

• Like 1

I think you have a valid point. I would find it hard to believe that there's some sort of "green" gene that only is found in Caucasians. I could imagine that the priority of environmental/animal welfare issues are rather far down the list in societies that exist hand to mouth, no matter what ethnicity.

But I still think these studies are on to something. Whenever you look at an environmental protest it does seem to be predominately white kids. From my interests in animal rights/welfare I know that the first animal cruelty legislation and organizations were created in Britain. And they were sorely needed. Caucasians are certainly just as susceptible to animal cruelty and environmental destruction. Perhaps it just takes time.

I suppose it's easy for Europeans to complain about people in developing countries trashing the countryside and killing and selling anything that moves. But don't forget, Europeans and no one else are responsible for exterminating all large European mammals that might be seen as a threat or competitor.

Relatively speaking, I think it was only recently that we westerners had the wealth, and time for the luxury of pondering the welfare of our fellow nonhuman beings, and enjoying them for what they are, and the knowledge of their existence, freedom, and beauty.

I find it a bit ironic that we amassed our wealth and resulting leisure time to worry about such things by destroying whole ecosystems, and exterminating entire species.

Reality, a lot of 'Chinese' (I know this is Taiwan) business people don't care whether they destroy natural ecosystems or not, as long as there is money in it. This tradition of money-first is sickening and it really needs to end!

I expect it will end: it will be the moment we will start hunt each other when everything else is gone.