Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Never-ending "progress" bar.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,492 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

There are times on UM when I need to refresh a page to post a comment or even a status update, or else sit forever looking at a little "progress" bar going back and forward.  It does this with or without add-ons enabled, with a cleared internet cache, with a clean system and no matter what browser I use.  I used to experience this only between 8-8:30am GMT but lately it has been occurring more & more often and at any time of the day.

Is it just my bad luck?

p.s. all other sites are fine.

#2    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,538 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

I get this too, always between 8.00 - 9.00am GMT; I think I only get it at work but I'm not 100% on that...

#3    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,063 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

This basically means the server is busy at that specific moment, between 8-9am GMT the server is performing maintenance/backups etc.

#4    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,492 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

View PostSaru, on 23 July 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

This basically means the server is busy at that specific moment, between 8-9am GMT the server is performing maintenance/backups etc.

So it's just my bad luck that it can occur at any time of the day or night?

#5    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,063 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

I'm not sure what you mean, are you saying you are seeing this happen constantly at all times ?

#6    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,492 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostSaru, on 23 July 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

I'm not sure what you mean, are you saying you are seeing this happen constantly at all times ?

No. Not constantly. But more than a few times a day, with times not consistent.  Random lag, but only on UM.

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,962 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

View PostEldorado, on 23 July 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

There are times on UM when I need to refresh a page to post a comment or even a status update, or else sit forever looking at a little "progress" bar going back and forward.  It does this with or without add-ons enabled, with a cleared internet cache, with a clean system and no matter what browser I use.  I used to experience this only between 8-8:30am GMT but lately it has been occurring more & more often and at any time of the day.

Is it just my bad luck?

p.s. all other sites are fine.
I've noticed the same problem exactly. " Backup" for me is 2-2:30 am local time. This is at random times throughout the day also.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#8    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,063 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

What specific thing(s) are you doing on the forums when you are experiencing this problem ? How long does the delay last ?

#9    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,492 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

View PostSaru, on 23 July 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

What specific thing(s) are you doing on the forums when you are experiencing this problem ? How long does the delay last ?

There are times on UM when I need to refresh a page to post a comment or even a status update, or else sit forever looking at a little "progress" bar going back and forward. The longest I've waited is five minutes before hitting refresh.. at which it's either a normal post, no post at all or a double post.
Not constantly. But more than a few times a day, with times not consistent.  Random lag, but only on UM.

#10    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,063 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

The only time you should be seeing a delay like that is during the maintenance cycle.

I'll keep an eye out for any problems with the server but at the moment i don't have an explanation as it shouldn't be doing that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users