Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Grocery loyalty card purchases surveilled by

OverSword

Hmm... where have I heard this before? Oh yeah, I predicted this years and years ago when they first started requing you to give them a card to get semi-reasonable prices.

From the article:

I warned Natural News readers about this years ago: those grocery store "loyalty cards" that they push on you to enjoy discounts on groceries are actually a behavior surveillance technology that's used to capture and profile your grocery purchasing patterns. This data is then sold off to insurance companies who use it to raise your rates by linking your grocery purchases with the risk of disease.

Buying a lot of ice cream? You're more likely to be obese and diabetic.

Purchasing a lot of processed meats and homogenized milk? You're more likely to develop cardiovascular disease.

Bringing home a lot of processed food with additives, chemical sweeteners and chemical preservatives? You're far more likely to get cancer.

http://www.naturalnews.com/039329_grocery_store_loyalty_cards_health_insurance.html

I can hardly wait to see which of the posters here think this is a good idea.

I can hardly wait to see which of the posters here think this is a good idea.

The ones against guns will be the ones that like this idea.

• Like 2

But Insurance companies are our friends.

I mean, just look at all the advertisements they put on the television. They are all friendly, and happy. Surely, they only want us to be safe???

• Like 2

LOL well hate to be your first response because i know the ones you are waiting for.A few will be on here later telling you what a great idea this is and they are only trying to help haha.I have a loyalty card to a store i always get my food at,only thing is though they might give me free insurance for my food purchases :lol: No doctor on the planet could find trouble with my diet :tu: Oh and :gun:

People often are all for something like this as long as it effects others and not them.

• Like 3

Not much the average consumer can do about this as it is probably in the terms and conditions when you sign up for the loyalty card. I shop at a chain that has no loyalty cards after my usual chain started a card programme and then sent "targeted" avertising based on your shopping habits.

• Like 2

well, you don't have to fill out your real name and adress on such cards, the store wont know the difference. it isn't like they check anyway.

• Like 4

I personally am against the very idea of tracking ones food purchases no matter if it affects me or not.I just try to eat healthy as possible because i want my body to last me as long as i am in it.Plus eating healthy foods makes one feel much better than pumping refined junk into the system.But to each their own.

• Like 1

well, you don't have to fill out your real name and adress on such cards, the store wont know the difference. it isn't like they check anyway.

Maybe if you pay with a credit card they might know who you really are. I'm sure they are not interested in tracking 'my specific' shopping habits but moreso of an entire region.

I personally am against the very idea of tracking ones food purchases no matter if it affects me or not.I just try to eat healthy as possible because i want my body to last me as long as i am in it.Plus eating healthy foods makes one feel much better than pumping refined junk into the system.But to each their own.

Whats the point of eating vegetables for 30 years if my reward is 30 more years of vegetable eating?

• Like 2

i've never had any kind of loyalty card for this exact reason.

information surveillance.

I don't shop at large chains, I prefer to use small independant butchers, greengrocers, corner shops. wal-mart and tesco have more money than god, so they don't need mine, whereas the small business' that are being driven out by the chains, do.

no loyalty cards, I always pay cash, and usually buy locally sourced foods, so i'm pretty much off the map when it comes to traceability.

in fact, if I didn't draw money out the bank once a week and pay taxes, i'd be more or less non-existent!

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 2

i think they wont.

cc records are something different than stores customer database. they have strict rules about it.

stores would not want to missuse data of any financial institution, , cuz they would have big problem, banks can give them big problems. you can't

store's database, however, is theirs to use anyway they want.

The moral of the story is **** off Big Govmnt . :gun:

• Like 3

Whats the point of eating vegetables for 30 years if my reward is 30 more years of vegetable eating?

Well i have always been a athlete so taking in vital nutrition to repair my body is preferred,i would gladly eat lean meat and veggies for 60 years and feel good than be obese to the point i cant get off my couch and slowly dieing from something like diabetes.Not saying you are just a general reference lol

The ones against guns will be the ones that like this idea.

Seriously?

The "feeling more healthy" thing includes a whole lot of things, like being happier about yourself (better mood and conscience), more confidence, strength, stamina, energy, better concentration which can make you more appealing, can improve sex... I mean it's one thing to get laid, and the quality is another. And you can still eat some damn good food too, but just ditch the wheat and excess non-nutritios carb and especially most of the sugar.

• Like 1

The "feeling more healthy" thing includes a whole lot of things, like being happier about yourself (better mood and conscience), more confidence, strength, stamina, energy, better concentration which can make you more appealing, can improve sex... I mean it's one thing to get laid, and the quality is another. And you can still eat some damn good food too, but just ditch the wheat and excess non-nutritios carb and especially most of the sugar.

I might have to post a photo of myself after that joke. Now everyone is gonna think i'm a lard **** who has diabetes.

• Like 2

they had to call them loyalty cards ? truth is stranger than fiction sometimes. ... but, whatever happened to being "Secure in your person.. AND papers and all that?

Why wouldn't this be a simple invasion of privacy ? No such thing as privacy anymore?

• Like 1

I might have to post a photo of myself after that joke. Now everyone is gonna think i'm a lard **** who has diabetes.

fatty fatty fat fat,

fatty fatty fat fat!

:-D

• Like 1

LMAO sorry about that wasnt trying to point the finger at you :lol:

• Like 1

can improve sex... I mean it's one thing to get laid, and the quality is another.

is there such a thing as crap sex??

i've always had a whale of a time, and haven't cried during sex for, ooh...., days now....!

:-)

• Like 1

is there such a thing as crap sex??

i've always had a whale of a time, and haven't cried during sex for, ooh...., days now....!

:-)

:lol:

they had to call them loyalty cards ? truth is stranger than fiction sometimes. ... but, whatever happened to being "Secure in your person.. AND papers and all that?

Why wouldn't this be a simple invasion of privacy ? No such thing as privacy anymore?

Its another one of our frequently violated Constitutional Rights

That's true, but if you even once pay with debit then they know who you are from that point on. Good luck paying cash every time you go to the store.