Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Robotic legs could produce Super Troopers

Gazz

BERKELEY, Calif. - Move over Bionic Man and make room for BLEEX" the Berkeley Lower Extremities Exoskeleton, with strap-on robotic legs designed to turn an ordinary human into a super strider.

Ultimately intended to help people like soldiers or firefighters carry heavy loads for long distances, these boots are made for marching.

The design of this exoskeleton really benefits from human intellect and the strength of the machine, says Homayoon Kazerooni, who directs the Robotics and Human Engineering Laboratory at the University of California-Berkeley.

The exoskeleton consists of a pair of mechanical metal leg braces that include a power unit and a backpack-like frame. The braces are attached to a modified pair of Army boots and are also connected, although less rigidly, to the user’s legs.

More than 40 sensors and hydraulic mechanisms function like a human nervous system, constantly calculating how to distribute the weight being borne and create a minimal load for the wearer.

There is no joystick, no keyboard, no push button to drive the device, says Kazerooni, a professor of mechanical engineering. The pilot becomes an integral part of the exoskeleton.

100 pounds feels like 5 pounds

In lab experiments, says Kazerooni, testers have walked around in the 100-pound exoskeleton plus a 70-pound backpack and felt as if they were carrying just five pounds....

Full Report Link

Gazz

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Umbarger

• Gazz

• DC09

• strichar

This is another showing of how the human race is evolving into cyborgs. I think it's kind of neat. thumbsup.gif

We are not evolving into "cyborgs" we are simply developing new technologies. It's the same as the phone being developed or the microwave or any other invention. A biological being can never truely become a full machine. And who would want to?

We are not evolving into "cyborgs" we are simply developing new technologies. It's the same as the phone being developed or the microwave or any other invention. A biological being can never truely become a full machine. And who would want to?

it is the beginning of the power combat armor, like in Fallout or Battletech games .

And has for the cyborgs, i found very interesting the concept of being a brain controling a near perfect machine, or a full ghost in the machine, free from the flesh.

• 1 year later...
This is another showing of how the human race is evolving into cyborgs. I think it's kind of neat. :tu:

Exoskeletons and cyborgs are two different technologies. An exoskeleton is a robotic shell in which a living organism can climb or suite up into.

A cyborg is a living organism that has synthetic or robotic parts attached.

Edited by coldwhitelight

whoa...that's pretty cool

on a sidenote: What kind of name is Homayoon Kazerooni?

These sort of technologies were inevitable and hopefully they will produce spin-off technologies for those with disabilities to take advantage of.

it is the beginning of the power combat armor, like in Fallout or Battletech games .

And has for the cyborgs, i found very interesting the concept of being a brain controling a near perfect machine, or a full ghost in the machine, free from the flesh.

heh... reminds me of the anime "ghost in the shell".

btw, cyborgs aren't robots, thery're organic with robotic counter-parts. that increase our health, stamina, sight, hearing, vision ect ect.

I think this is pretty cool, but as we are a militant speices, they're gonna be used for war. but then again, also could be modified for space gear, and other gear to keep us safe - for example; such as searching for a mayan temple in the jungles, it could take a lot of the weight of our back, literally.

These sort of technologies were inevitable and hopefully they will produce spin-off technologies for those with disabilities to take advantage of.

I agree, this technology could be very beneficial to people with limb disabilities, and vastly improve their quality of life :tu:

I'd hate to be in the heat of combat and the thing have a bug. It may decide to run backwards!

One theing that they did not touch on... even if it made it possible to carry a lot of weight, will it help you to get back up if you fall down?

I'd hate to be in the heat of combat and the thing have a bug. It may decide to run backwards!

One theing that they did not touch on... even if it made it possible to carry a lot of weight, will it help you to get back up if you fall down?

moving closer and closer to the MJOLNIR. user posted image