Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nano-Armor: Protecting the Soldiers

whoa182

Nano-Armor: Protecting the Soldiers of Tomorrow

Abstract:

An Israeli company has recently tested one of the most shock-resistant materials known to man. Five times stronger than steel and at least twice as strong as any impact-resistant material currently in use as protective gear, the new nano-based material is on its way to becoming the armor of the future.

... a sample of the ApNano material was subjected to severe shocks generated by a steel projectile traveling at velocities of up to 1.5 km/second. The material withstood the shock pressures generated by the impacts of up to 250 tons per square centimeter. This is approximately equivalent to dropping four diesel locomotives onto an area the size of one’s fingernail. During the test the material proved to be so strong that after the impact the samples remained essentially identical compared to the original material.

Go here to read it all: http://www.isracast.com/tech_news/091205_tech.htm

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stellar

• whoa182

• PadawanOsswe

• __Kratos__

Carbon-Fiber I know is bullet-proof to an extent. though its expensive stuff. I think for select few troops in the future energy shielding could be the thing of the future. only problem is radiation.

Sadly the cost for allowing all troops to have such armour is way too high.

Im a Canadian Soldier and preparing for a tour in Afghanistan, which I volunteered to do after I left Canadas Royal Military College. As a soldier, I would pay a years salary for that armor. It may not be feasible for the government to contract a company to develop this equipment for the entire infantry. However, it will be plausible to have private companys produce and sell it to military individuals on the bases overseas, just like they do today.

Personally, instead of making it standard kit, I think they could save money by simply slowely stocking up on it over years... starting with enough to give to those select soldiers who are doing the most dangerous job and such. A guard at a gate doesnt need this stuff. A LAVIII crew doesnt need it as much as the infantry too.

"Currently ApNano can manufacture only a few kilograms of the new material a day at their lab in Nes Ziona. In an interview by IsraCast, Dr. Menachem Genut, ApNano CEO, explained that the company is moving into semi-industrial manufacturing within the next six months producing between 100-200 kilograms of the material per day, gradually moving to full-scale industrial production by 2007, creating several tons each day. Although it is currently still hard to determine the exact price of the "nano-armor" when in full industrial production, given the cost of the original materials (Tungsten Disulfide, Titanium Disulfide, etc.) and the relatively low production costs"

This kind of armor is will go to everyone. As tools advance, costs in production will go down also.

As tools advance, costs in production will go down also.

Yep. *As* tools advance. In the mean time, like I said, start slow and prioritise.

do u have any pics of this nano armor???? :blink:

There's pictures in the link provided by Whoa.

Interesting report... Now enemies will be killing soldiers for their armor. Some Afgan fighter seeing a scout on patrol, would risk sniping him down for his advanced body armor.

In order to protect the whole body one would need body armour like the Star Wars Storm Troopers. Now they need personal air conditioning!

In order to protect the whole body one would need body armour like the Star Wars Storm Troopers. Now they need personal air conditioning!

Well not really, Nano Armor should have the ability to breath better than other materials, they could eventually make it flexible too, so you could potentially cover most of the body.

Also that picture on the top left is just medieval armor.

Edited by whoa182

Interesting report... Now enemies will be killing soldiers for their armor. Some Afgan fighter seeing a scout on patrol, would risk sniping him down for his advanced body armor.

Why on Earth would a scout have a sniper rifle? Meh, damn insurgents and their backward ways. If the scout does see soldiers with this armor... chances are that even if he kills him (which the armor is supposed to help stop), he wont live to get close enough alone to take that body armor. If the soldier didnt have the armor on, then what would be the difference? The scout would report back to the main group and there'd probably still be a firefight, but with less friendlies surviving.

Why on Earth would a scout have a sniper rifle? Meh, damn insurgents and their backward ways. If the scout does see soldiers with this armor... chances are that even if he kills him (which the armor is supposed to help stop), he wont live to get close enough alone to take that body armor. If the soldier didnt have the armor on, then what would be the difference? The scout would report back to the main group and there'd probably still be a firefight, but with less friendlies surviving.

Soldier: scout

Afgan fighter: sniper

Can't always armor the head... that's why I said sniping. and that's why I said he might risk it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the impact of such items of velocity would kill you, even if they did not penetrate the armour. Yes I know the armour would save many lives in comparison to todays armour.

Soldier: scout

Afgan fighter: sniper

Can't always armor the head... that's why I said sniping. and that's why I said he might risk it.

Oh, sorry. I didnt know where the hell I got that from. Either way, a scout would have a main body of troops near it, and the sniper would be ****ed if he tried attacking them himself. The insurgents would have to outnumber the soldiers by quite a bit to take them out. The weapons commonly found among the insurgents are less accurate than those used by us, and headshots arent likely.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the impact of such items of velocity would kill you, even if they did not penetrate the armour. Yes I know the armour would save many lives in comparison to todays armour.

well,depends

body armour of today whileit will stop bullet penetration to an extent, it will still pelt like a SOB. but I suppose a bruise is better that a wound.

It most definitly can be used on tanks... if they manage to make it more resistant than DU.

To me the article seemed to imply that it wil be several years before this stuff is ready to market. It seems like they just did figure out how to make threads of this stuff. It might be a good investment though.

I am a American Soldier, who's been to Afghanistan, Turkey, London, Cuba.. etc.. etc.. and I know every time I get issued a new set of body armor, it is slightly better than the last but nothing that would compare to this stuff. The government has a new type of improved armor out already which is too expensive "so they say" which definatly puts this Nanotech out of the question, just hope my kids will have the opportunity to use this equiptment. One other thing though is that the weapons are always way ahead of the defense, we make a vest that will stop a 9mm they shoot us with .45 rounds.. and so forth... One day, just maybe...

I am a American Soldier, who's been to Afghanistan, Turkey, London, Cuba.. etc.. etc.. and I know every time I get issued a new set of body armor, it is slightly better than the last but nothing that would compare to this stuff. The government has a new type of improved armor out already which is too expensive "so they say" which definatly puts this Nanotech out of the question, just hope my kids will have the opportunity to use this equiptment. One other thing though is that the weapons are always way ahead of the defense, we make a vest that will stop a 9mm they shoot us with .45 rounds.. and so forth... One day, just maybe...

I believe that for the first time ever, the defense will be way ahead of the small-arms used to penetrate it. Furthermore, the chemicals used to make this are already cheaper then that of others used in the previous defensive textiles. I believe that you, and your kids will have the equipment sooner then most believe. The Americans, with the implementation of such strong textiles, will be far ahead of any other nation when it comes to defensive technologies within the next five years.

To me the article seemed to imply that it wil be several years before this stuff is ready to market

In the next few years you will see practically 'everything' nano.

Thanks again Whoa for opening our eyes to a little known technology about to sweep the world.

I invision a world in ten years where the bullets of guns will simply bounce off of our guys like in the Superman movies...of course the enemy will acquire some of the same armour, but the high tech Electro Weapons we will have will simply fry them in their knew suits. :tu:

That's cool, but who needs armor? *Uses pyrokinesis on Master Chief* It won't help you anyways.

TeraLink Was Here! ;)

Edited by TeraLink

As they said, this is going into mass production in 2007 and cost will be very low. No over armor currently out there can match this. researchers promised that nanotech will deliver this stuff before 2010 and it looks like they are correct about the time frame.

Edited by whoa182

sweet, so I may get to use some of this armour if I join up B)