Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UN votes to recognize the state of Palestine

buckskin scout

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/un-votes-to-recognize-the-state-of-palestine-over-u-s-objections-1.4276304

UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations voted overwhelmingly Thursday to recognize a Palestinian state, a victory decades in the making for the Palestinians after years of occupation and war. It was a sharp rebuke for Israel and the United States.

A Palestinian flag was quickly unfurled on the floor of the General Assembly, behind the Palestinian delegation, as the final vote was cast.

In an extraordinary lineup of international support, more than two-thirds of the world body's 193 member states approved the resolution upgrading the Palestinians to a nonmember observer state. It passed 138-9, with 41 abstentions.

The historic vote came 65 years to the day after the U.N. General Assembly voted in 1947 to recognize a state in Palestine, with the jubilant revelers then Jews. The Palestinians rejected that partition plan, and decades of tension and violence have followed.

Real independence, however, remains an elusive dream until the Palestinians negotiate a peace deal with the Israelis, who warned that the General Assembly action will only delay a lasting solution. Israel still controls the West Bank, east Jerusalem and access to Gaza, and it accused the Palestinians of bypassing negotiations with the campaign to upgrade their U.N. status.

Despite Thursday's triumph, the Palestinians face enormous limitations. They don't control their borders, airspace or trade, they have separate and competing governments in Gaza and the West Bank and they have no unified army or police.
  • Like 2

Well, progress is progress.

• Like 5

How they Voted:

post-114830-0-13842900-1354247460_thumb.

So very, very sad to see Canada on this list for me :td:

Edited by jugoso
  • Like 4

How they Voted:

post-114830-0-13842900-1354247460_thumb.

So very, very sad to see Canada on this list for me :td:

Canada's only on the NO list because of the crooks running the country. Their Conservative minority GOV doesn't represent ALL of Canada.

• Like 3

Canada's only on the NO list because of the crooks running the country. Their Conservative minority GOV doesn't represent ALL of Canada.

Yeah, but we´re still on the list and they represent our country in the UN. I´m sure the Nauru or Palau Governments don´t speak for all of their citizens either. Shameful IMO. :td:

Edited by jugoso
  • Like 1

Nice to see New Zealand voted yes.. :tu:

Sad to see Australia didn't have the dangly bits to vote either way.. :hmm:

• Like 1

Nice to see New Zealand voted yes.. :tu:

Sad to see Australia didn't have the dangly bits to vote either way.. :hmm:

All that money to be on the Security Council and our first vote we say "no thanks, we're not going to vote".

• Like 1

All that money to be on the Security Council and our first vote we say "no thanks, we're not going to vote".

It was the general assembly, not the security council..

But what surprises me about the Ozzy affair, is gillard wanted to side with Israel/USA and vote no?? But gillard was told no by her own party..

our govt in Australia is just as bad as the US.. its a joke.. they are all as thick as thieves..

there is still a long way to go for Palestine.. but its a step in the right direction..

It was the general assembly, not the security council..

But what surprises me about the Ozzy affair, is gillard wanted to side with Israel/USA and vote no?? But gillard was told no by her own party..

Gillard is a twit.. the most hated woman in Oz, well, besides Gina Rinehart..

• Like 1

It's obvious that the intent of this vote was primarily to save Abbas' political career and to try to box Israel in - it has nothing to do with making peace. The Palestinians have decided that they can use world opinion to "acquire" their State without negotiating with the heavily armed people who currently control the land it will encompass. They will be successful only in causing new violence ultimately. Again, I point to the madness that seems to proliferate in the world concerning this issue. Because Israel needs public opinion on their side to prosper in the land they are forced to play this game with the Palestinians - whom they could easily destroy if needed. When the incentive of world opinion turns so thoroughly against them that it is no longer a restrainer, what do you suppose they will do?

A: Give in and pack their bags, leaving the land they have sworn to live or die on, or

B: Soundly defeat their enemies who are sworn to kill them all?

The historic vote came 65 years to the day after the U.N. General Assembly voted in 1947 to divide Palestine into two states, one for Jews and one for Arabs

I don't get it, why is this allowed to be said? Surely this isn't correct.

Jew = Religion

Arab = Race

How is this allowed?! YET if you said one for Christians and one for African Americans.... It would be racist and politically incorrect.

• Like 1

It's obvious that the intent of this vote was primarily to save Abbas' political career and to try to box Israel in - it has nothing to do with making peace. The Palestinians have decided that they can use world opinion to "acquire" their State without negotiating with the heavily armed people who currently control the land it will encompass. They will be successful only in causing new violence ultimately. Again, I point to the madness that seems to proliferate in the world concerning this issue. Because Israel needs public opinion on their side to prosper in the land they are forced to play this game with the Palestinians - whom they could easily destroy if needed. When the incentive of world opinion turns so thoroughly against them that it is no longer a restrainer, what do you suppose they will do?

A: Give in and pack their bags, leaving the land they have sworn to live or die on, or

I dunno....maybe return to preexisting 1967 borders and share the water as you suggested in another thread!! What is obvious from the vote for me is that the majority of countries support the recognition of a Palestinian State. If your solution to the problem is the continued subjugation of the Palestinian people, my comment is that that is no solution.

• Like 2

It's a good move and hopefully it will give the Palestinians a stronger position in future peace talks. Likewise I hope they don't use this to try and flood the internation courts with cases in an effort to get some revenge. But either way the government of the West Bank has used diplomacy instead of violence to further their aims and this should be encouraged. It's just a shame that Harper is throwing a hissy fit because Israel didn't get what it wanted.

Edited by Corp
  • Like 2

The commentary from the Obama administration in response to this welcome development has been ridiculous.

The continued subjugation of the Palestinian people is the problem, not the solution. That's only a solution to someone if they care about the security of one group to the exclusion of the other.

• Like 1

It seems Israel is worried now, I think they know now that they have done something wrong. Now they want to build more homes, I think they want Palestine to attack them again and show the UN how bad they are

Yesterday was the biggest biblicaly prophectic day in modern times. Its bigger then the rebirth of Israel its self. To my Christian brothers and sisters, get your house in order. Your redemption draws near. For those who might be on the fence, its time to choose.

AT, what negotiations? Also, the world does not consist only of USA and Israel. Do you mean that the opinion of the rest if the world does not count?

65 years ago the world accepted Israel as a state, now they recognize Palestine too. 65 years ago the world was not waiting for another failed negotiation, they are not willing to wait for another negotiation now.

• Like 3

I dunno....maybe return to preexisting 1967 borders and share the water as you suggested in another thread!! What is obvious from the vote for me is that the majority of countries support the recognition of a Palestinian State. If your solution to the problem is the continued subjugation of the Palestinian people, my comment is that that is no solution.

That suggestion, in context, was to ask a question about what to do if the Palestinians STILL kept fighting for all the land. The Palestinians could, today, draft a document that was reasonable - something along the lines of what I mentioned in that other thread - and Israel would be FORCED by world opinion AND Western pressure I suspect, to make peace by Spring. If you are objective in your view of this situation you'll have to admit that I'm probably correct. So WHY do they not end this conflict and have a State where they get most of what they want, and Israel gives up most, if not all settlements? I'm not trying to be provocative and will not argue with you on this J. It's a simple question.

That suggestion, in context, was to ask a question about what to do if the Palestinians STILL kept fighting for all the land. The Palestinians could, today, draft a document that was reasonable - something along the lines of what I mentioned in that other thread - and Israel would be FORCED by world opinion AND Western pressure I suspect, to make peace by Spring. If you are objective in your view of this situation you'll have to admit that I'm probably correct. So WHY do they not end this conflict and have a State where they get most of what they want, and Israel gives up most, if not all settlements? I'm not trying to be provocative and will not argue with you on this J. It's a simple question.

Whats the point having talks in which you have no say?

Yesterday was the biggest biblicaly prophectic day in modern times. Its bigger then the rebirth of Israel its self. To my Christian brothers and sisters, get your house in order. Your redemption draws near. For those who might be on the fence, its time to choose.

how so?

Whats the point having talks in which you have no say?

Nice try but it just doesn't wash. IF Abbas and or Haniyah agreed to recognize Israel's right to exist as a Jewish Homeland the details could be worked out with compromise from both sides. If the Palestinians stopped shooting themselves in the foot with insistence on having it all, the world would force Israel into a solution because Israel wants peace and would give up the settlements for it.

A question for you TNRN: What was the land Arafat wanted to "liberate" in 1964 when he formed the Palestine Liberation Organization? Gaza and the West Bank were seized after the 1967 war.

explain?

I don't get it, why is this allowed to be said? Surely this isn't correct.

Jew = Religion

Arab = Race

How is this allowed?! YET if you said one for Christians and one for African Americans.... It would be racist and politically incorrect.

Jews are an ethno-religious group. Believe it or not, there are people that are ethnically Jewish.

AT, what negotiations? Also, the world does not consist only of USA and Israel. Do you mean that the opinion of the rest if the world does not count?

65 years ago the world accepted Israel as a state, now they recognize Palestine too. 65 years ago the world was not waiting for another failed negotiation, they are not willing to wait for another negotiation now.

Precisely. The last attempt to move the process forward was when Obama insisted that Israel impose a 10 month settlement freeze on Israel. For about 9 months the Palestinians still refused to even come to the table to try to talk. That is a matter of record. Then, when Netanyahu bent to pressure from his constituents and removed the freeze, Palestinians refused to talk based on settlement construction. In all the previous negotiations they never refused to talk over that issue. The opinion of the rest of the world matters immensely. But Israel, just like any other nation, has no duty to commit suicide just because other nations hate it. The world had a chance to welcome 2 new nations into existence 65 years ago. The TRUTH that is avoided, covered up or denied is that the Arab Palestinians and all their neighbors in the surrounding States REFUSED the idea of ever having a Jewish State in Palestine. They have been fought to a stalemate and now realize that their last best hope is to use the frustration of the world community to grant them for free what they could never achieve with arms - a State where Israel currently exists and the removal of all Jews from the land. I always ask the same question of everyone who condemns Israel in this conflict because I feel it is a very fair thing to know. If Gaza and the West Bank are the reason for today's conflicts, what land was Arafat trying to "liberate" when he formed the PLO in 1964? All I ask for is an honest answer and an admission of what the real issues are here.