Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Depression? Feeling blue very often?

dlonewolf85

Depression is always something I seem to fall into at random moments. If I sit and think to much or start to let things bother me, here it comes.

The best way to beat it is to keep your mind on a goal, listen to some music, maybe talk to someone you love.

Depression is crap, but staying focused or occupied with something you enjoy doing seems to help.

• Like 2

I'm not depressed.. just lazy at times. But I am happy everyday.

And now time for a drink !

Edited by LostSouls7
  • Like 1

What is being discussed here is not depression! Please don't take offence lonewolf, but cute as that cartoon is, it bears no relevance to real clinical depression. Many people are not loved by anyone. Many people know they are not precious to anyone. And when you have clinical depression ...... you really are alone.

• Like 4

I beat depression with vitamin D. Seriously. I would have random bouts of severe depression even when I was not thinking about anything remotely depressing. Turned out I was deficient in a few key nutrients. Coupled with regular exercise it's been well over a year since i've felt "blue" in any capacity :)

Obviously this won't be the case for everyone, but I encourage people to get their bodies back to 0 or "default settings" before starting a serious anti-depressant program. The answer could really be that simple...

• Like 3

What is being discussed here is not depression!

Firstly, thank you for posting. I know what you mean, and I agree with you in that sense. You're talking about Major Depressive Disorder or MDD (also called clinical depression). But depression is real whether or not it is MDD: Depression is a normal human reaction to events and situations, clinical depression is not. Depression fades away with time and when new events occur, clinical depression persists for weeks, months, years, and sometimes may even stay life-long.

I know what you mean, because I have been clinically depressed since when I was a teenager, but that's not the point. The point is, depression is a real problem for all, but in some people (like yours truly), it can sometimes be like an 'illness' of sorts.

Please don't take offence lonewolf, but cute as that cartoon is, it bears no relevance to real clinical depression.

No offence taken! :)

Posting here in the Philosophy and Psychology section made sense to me, because I think that the above cartoon is philosophically pregnant with a meaningful message for everybody in general (and not only just for those people who have real clinical depression) . And I think that it's pretty reasonable, don't you agree?

Many people are not loved by anyone. Many people know they are not precious to anyone. And when you have clinical depression ...... you really are aloooooooone!!

Sigh! :(

• Like 1

What is being discussed here is not depression! Please don't take offence lonewolf, but cute as that cartoon is, it bears no relevance to real clinical depression. Many people are not loved by anyone. Many people know they are not precious to anyone. And when you have clinical depression ...... you really are alone.

Also, clinical depression has nothing to do with being loved or surrounded by loving people.

I think the cartoon was trying to get across the idea that you can help people with depression by offering support and simply asking how they're doing. Its something that just doens't happen very often and can make all the difference.

• Like 3

Also, clinical depression has nothing to do with being loved or surrounded by loving people.

I think the cartoon was trying to get across the idea that you can help people with depression by offering support and simply asking how they're doing. Its something that just doens't happen very often and can make all the difference.

Agreed. My husband and daughter both have clinical depression.

The flip side of this is that it can be VERY stressful for a spouse or parent to deal with a depressed partner or child. You won't be able to "fix" them and you do live with the awareness that there is a suicide risk. Talking them into getting meds and treatment is a huge relief; their lives change, they can feel some lifting to the depression, and (in the case of my husband) they don't get frustrated over minor annoyances (like the waiter taking 6 minutes instead of 2 to come with the water when the restaurant is busy.)

• Like 4

I'm not depressed.. just lazy at times. But I am happy everyday.

And now time for a drink !

:) alcohol is a depressant. Keep it up and you will not be happy everyday anymore.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 2

The only thing that keeps one going is taking care of everyone else :)when your body fails and you can`nt keep it going, then its time for depression :(

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

The only thing that keeps one going is taking care of everyone else :)when your body fails and you can`nt keep it going, then its time for depression :(

You can be the most physically fit person in the room and still suffer from depression. Clinical depression is not rooted in not being loved, in being alone, in being physically ill. The sooner we realise it is an issue in itself and doesn't have these easily addressed causes the better.

• Like 3

I beat depression with vitamin D. Seriously. I would have random bouts of severe depression even when I was not thinking about anything remotely depressing. Turned out I was deficient in a few key nutrients. Coupled with regular exercise it's been well over a year since i've felt "blue" in any capacity :)

Obviously this won't be the case for everyone, but I encourage people to get their bodies back to 0 or "default settings" before starting a serious anti-depressant program. The answer could really be that simple...

I have not been diagnosed with depression but because of my disability and the changes in my body and not being able to do things I once was able to do really sometimes it is frustrating and makes me feel blue.

I have tried Vitamin D and it does help me. It doesn't change my thought patterns or anything but I have felt a slight elevation in mood. I am also a big believer that I personally NEED time in the sun. If I go too long without being outside then I feel a change in my body and how I feel or I feel different mentally...like those thoughts creep in more and I have to do something quickly before I get in a slump. This could all be mental and not anything scientific; just my personal experiences.

Clinical or diagnosed depression is something very different. I have someone close to me who is effected.

It is best to be aware of any subtle changes and to have a suicide prevention hotline number somewhere in plain sight. Again, just my thoughts.

I just came across this article today and while it might not truly fit this topic 100% I think it's still worthy of a share since sometimes these things go hand-in-hand:

Parenting and raising a bi-polar son:

https://www.yahoo.co...9462497247.html

So yea, my heart breaks for those suffering from mental illness. I can only wish support, *love and hugs* to anyone reading this that is touched by this. Hugs. xo

edit, spelling

Edited by She-ra
  • Like 1

Thanks all of you for posting. And I want to say, that each of you did touch on some key-factors which I think is very important for us to consider (but firstly, to be aware of) when any person we know is suffering from depression. Please do keep posting. We never know, but maybe even your smallest words of kindness or the smallest gestures of support, could be like a blessing to another who might really be needing it. Right? :)

Thank you for sharing, She-Ra. You make some very good points, and also I want to tell you that the article that you shared with us, was very apt.

Many people don't know this, but clinical depression is also known as Unipolar Disorder. Unipolar disorder is similar to Bipolar disorder. What happens when a person is bipolar is that, they go through a period of depression (for little/no apparent cause), followed by a period of manic-elation (can also be for no specific reason). So bipolar disorder is also called manic-depressive disorder, because it is like an always recurring cycle of extreme mood-swings.

Clinical depression or Unipolar disorder, has little/no manic phase, and it means the person can be perpetually in a bad mood or feel irritated/sad/angry for little/no reason. Clinical depression, in my opinion, can be comparable to when a person has Anger-Management problems. For example - Anger is a natural human reaction, but uncontrollable rage over small things, could indicate an underlying psychological disorder.

Major Depressive Disorder or MDD can have many different causes, it can be inherited, it can be drug-induced (eg. - taking certain medications), it can be caused when a person experiences trauma or has other psychological problems and even due to drug and alcohol abuse.

Even having a physical disability (big or small), or even experiencing something smaller like having acne or a skin-problem, could trigger depression in an individual. Disability, as I understand, can be a sensitive subject for most people, but I am mentioning this only because coincidentally I am a professional social-worker and for a relatively short period of time in my life, I have had the honor to work as a special-educator to small children who have autism, cerebral-palsy and multiple-disorders. And I must tell you, it was all a very life-changing experience for me. I realized at one point, that those little children had actually come into my life as a blessing, and that they had helped me much more than I could have contributed to their lives. Such darlings they were! My personal super-heroes!

Also, many other things such as doing physical-activities, playing music, keeping busy with life, socializing with other people, having a yummy meal, etc. can have a more positive effect on us. Good health, good habits, and good company help a lot too.

Please keep posting everyone! Let's try and put a smile on someone else's face today! :)

PS - Please do remember people, the UM community is NOT the place to seek professional counselling or medical advice of any sort, but we can always feel free to share our thoughts on here and to try to lend our mental-support to each other. Thank you!

• Like 2

Thank you for that information dlonewolf85. I'm all for putting a smile on someone's face!! 14ki5v7.jpg

• Like 1

I've been fundamentally depressed or actually sad most of my life, though I've had many periods of happiness as well. Long ago I read of an experiment where a baby monkey was raised without any social interactions. When it was older it was put in a cage with other monkeys, and it just sat in a corner with one arm around its head. That's basically me.

Thought I can be very bold and in charge of situations. I've also always felt superior to everyone else, more intelligent, aware and observant. Even so I have a lot of empathy and caring for others, so I'm not a sociopath. I suppose always feeling separate and alone gives me this kind of perspective. I can't really describe myself in a few sentences, of course, so I'm probably giving a selective version of myself.

I basically stay by myself and am content in doing so. All this was tough when I was younger, but now in old age I'm nuch happier. Anyway, I know what depression feels like.

One more thing. Dick Cavett suffered from clinical depression. He said it was so bad, he could be sitting at a table and on the table could be a magic wand that would cure his depression. But for him it would have been too much effort to reach over and take the magic wand. I suppose that's a good description of clinical depression.

• Like 1

One more thing. Dick Cavett suffered from clinical depression. He said it was so bad, he could be sitting at a table and on the table could be a magic wand that would cure his depression. But for him it would have been too much effort to reach over and take the magic wand. I suppose that's a good description of clinical depression.

This ^ ^

Also, I stumbled across a video on YouTube of a doctor who suffers from clinical depression, giving a talk to promote mental health awareness. He said that he uses this story to explain to people what it's like to live with clinical depression: "So, my car breaks down and I'm at the side of the road and I think to myself, I have three options here: I can get the car fixed, I can buy a new car ..... or I can kill myself" . At this point the audience burst out laughing because that seems such a ridiculous thing to say, but then they fall silent because they realise he means it. It made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up because I had never heard anyone express that before ..... that is how I feel! Whatever the problem, no matter how trivial, 'killing myself' is always on the list of solutions.

• Like 5

I'm at my worst when my days off from work are over and knowing I have to go back to work.

But once I get back in the groove, the next days are easier. I've always heard that the herb

St. John's Wort alleviates depression. http://altmedicine.about.com/od/stjohnswort/a/stjohnswort.htm

• Like 1

Also, I stumbled across a video on YouTube of a doctor who suffers from clinical depression, giving a talk to promote mental health awareness. He said that he uses this story to explain to people what it's like to live with clinical depression: "So, my car breaks down and I'm at the side of the road and I think to myself, I have three options here: I can get the car fixed, I can buy a new car ..... or I can kill myself" . At this point the audience burst out laughing because that seems such a ridiculous thing to say, but then they fall silent because they realise he means it. It made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up because I had never heard anyone express that before ..... that is how I feel! Whatever the problem, no matter how trivial, 'killing myself' is always on the list of solutions.

Me too! :) Nothing to smile about, but personally it's an option I hold but will not do, and I don't recommend it as a solution to problems we have in life. For me it's Plan Z. I don't like circumstances to defeat me, plus as I've grown older I've realized all these adverse circumstances are not too important.

I used to be depressed and desperate, now I just watch things happen and realize circumstances are not as dire as I portray them to be. Adversity passes and changes into someting else, usually into something mundane and boring. lol

I think ways of enlightenment like Buddhism or Zen or Taoism teach that events come and go, but a true sense of ourselves is something unasailable that can stand apart and watch and not be affected too much. Easy to say, I know. But I've lived through many adverse circumstances and I'm still here, and that bad stuff has vanished into the past and is gone and forgotten.

So why be concerned about the bad stuff now or in the future? It will pass by and disappear, too, and as I say I'll still be here, and it will have little effect on me. I think this is a good attitude that can lessen feelings of depression when stuff happens. Let it happen, come on, I'm ready for it.

• Like 3

I don't know if the following is a cause or effect of depressions, the fact is, innocence is more interesting than knowledge. In Zen, for instance, the idea is to experience everything for the first time.

When I look around my room, I already have knowledge of everything in the room, so I don't really notice anything, and all the stuff in my room is pretty boring. If I go into a room I've not been in before, I am innocent of what's in the room, so all the stuff in the room is interesting. I'm not bored by knowledge.

I think depression is like this. In depression, it's as if the brain considers it has knowledge of everything. Nothing is new, therefore everything is boring, and it doesn't really see anything.

I think it can help depression if we look at everything as if we're seeing it for the first time. We need to become attentive somehow. Maybe force ourselves to really look. A saying is, if something is boring to do or to look at, if you keep doing or looking for a long enough time, that doing or looking will become interesting.

So I think to become innocent when we are feeling depressed, or just in everyday life, is important. Knowledge is useful, but when it overwhealms us, it's like looking at the world through a smoked glass, we already know what's there, so why bother.

• Like 2

So I think to become innocent when we are feeling depressed, or just in everyday life, is important. Knowledge is useful, but when it overwhealms us, it's like looking at the world through a smoked glass, we already know what's there, so why bother.

I can understand what you're saying, and I partially do agree with that line of thought.

But innocence, I like to believe, can be of different kinds, and perhaps there are also different levels of innocence. For example, a person who isn't corrupt or isn't too complicated in today's world, can be said to be 'innocent' in a philosophical sense. Innocence doesn't have to mean ignorance, right? Losing interest in stuff or losing enthusiasm towards life can happen to people very naturally. It can happen when we tend to overthink stuff, or when we get overly serious about things, or even when we tend to get very philosophical at times.

They say, almost all philosophers are also nihilists most of the time. And I think it might be true for some people. What do you think? :)

I agree, knowledge can be sometimes overwhelming. But also, knowledge can be used as power, since having 'power' could mean having the ability to influence and to control stuff (within ourselves and in the world we live in). Being bored and uninterested can be a pain, but a person can always try to change that, right? Also, I don't know how to get back the kind of innocence that I had when I was little, lol, but as an adult, I can surely see myself putting in some effort to enjoy life as it comes to me (by using all the knowledge and the information that I currently have). Perhaps, a slight change in our perspective can help change how we look at the big stuff - like life and the world around us. Wouldn't you agree?

Edit: Grammar and spelling! Lol.

Edited by dlonewolf85
  • Like 1

In response to dlonewolf85 's above post: Of course knowledge is important, and the innocence I mean is, as you say, not ignorance, not being corrupt or too complicated, not over-thinking. If we're bored or become uninterested in our life or somewhat depressed, how does one change? I think this is the important question here.

I think we can change somewhat using our knowledge and our knowledge of ourselves. Sometimes this lasts for a while, then we may fall back into our old selves again. So I don't really think we can change our fundamental or conventional conditioned self. That is thoroughly imprinted in the circuits of our brain, in my opinion.

So, who decides to change? When the brain or mind recognizes it is not happy, it is the established circuits or the 'old brain' that tries to remedy itself. It seems to me this is the problem trying to solve the problem.

When real, authentic change occurrs, the 'old brain' is not involved. When we suddenly feel real joy, happiness or real contentment, I would say the old brain is bypassed, and these feelings originate from somewhere else. From somewhere at a deeper level than our psychological conditioning. I would say, from our original self.

Our original self or true nature is always operating in the background, separate from our knowledge and our past personal experiences...separate from our old conditioned mind.

In my view, for any authentic change to happen, this innocent or original mind needs to be recognized as something real within us. We cannot use the 'old brain' to become aware of this original mind, that which is untouched by thought or knowledge and is uncontaminated by our mind's conditioning.

Not composed of these things, not composed of thought or knowledge, it is silent, and the only way to access it is through silence. When our mind is quiet, the 'old brain' cannot function. What happens then?

• Like 1

Depression is the only constant thing in my life, it's almost like my best friend. If i woke up tomorrow without any depression, I'll feel really weird.

There are things i try to do to keep my depression in check, like being spontaneous like Homer Simpson does but it's not easy. I also like to walk or move, i feel like I'm outrunning my depressing thoughts, not giving myself time to think.

• Like 3

Depression is the only constant thing in my life, it's almost like my best friend. If i woke up tomorrow without any depression, I'll feel really weird.

There are things i try to do to keep my depression in check, like being spontaneous like Homer Simpson does but it's not easy. I also like to walk or move, i feel like I'm outrunning my depressing thoughts, not giving myself time to think.

This is similar to my view of the subject. Spontaneous action that bypasses thought. The mind is excellent at acting spontaneously correctly and appropriately. You just have to trust your mind to do the right thing by itself.

One can go therough the whole day, doing everything you need to do, making decisions, etc., without thinking at all. In fact, this effortless action is the best way to live. Thoughtful consideration is sometimes needed, but you live closer to the real you when you don't think too much. :)

Thoughts are often only interested in themselves, and they go round and round reflecting on each other interminably, not coming to any definite conclusion or decision. As you imply, not giving yourself time to think bypasses a lot of mental confusion.

• Like 2

I think that's what wrong with society today, every one worries about their own self depression. In the old real depression of our country , one had to worry just about putting food on the table, no time to be depressed.

• Like 2