Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * - 2 votes

Existential Depression among the Gifted


  • Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#121    Cassea

Cassea

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Joined:20 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Female

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

View Post_Only, on 06 December 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

They're talking about IQ. She's talking about intelligence. There is a difference, as odd as that last sentence sounded. I'm also noting that at least 3 people here of 'mensa' level IQ feel that intelligence is involved in improving standardized test scoring.

Exactly.   Intelligence is not based on a number on a piece of paper.  Whenever people start tossing out their genius IQ numbers but exhibit a lack of compassion you know they are not "intelligent."

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#122    JGirl

JGirl

    Pajama Goddess

  • Member
  • 9,016 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:British Columbia Canada

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostCassea, on 06 December 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

Exactly.   Intelligence is not based on a number on a piece of paper.  Whenever people start tossing out their genius IQ numbers but exhibit a lack of compassion you know they are not "intelligent."
compassion is not intelligence, and neither is sophistication btw.
it seems the definition of this word becomes looser and looser on this thread.
cassea,  i do think you are exceptionally intelligent but you really need to jump down from your pedestal and get realistic about how you stack up against the rest of us.

Edited by JGirl, 06 December 2012 - 05:40 PM.


#123    Sean93

Sean93

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Joined:24 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ireland

  • WRATH

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

Some people think differently and in different parts of the world and in different groups, one opinion may seem weird or distasteful towards the majority, that doesn't make it special or unique except to the person concerend who thinks it's does.

If you were in Afghanistan and said you were athiest, your worldview would be outlawed and looked down upon, but that doen't mean the athiest is gifted or unique.

Likewise, if a heavily religious believer was walking around the Czech Republic, they'd be looked down upon and their world view would be seen as dangerous to the majority - again, that doen't make the person special, it's just an opinion and opinions don't matter.

I have a friend who's all full of life, loves socialising and going out. He doesn't get how I hate meeting new people and getting into relaionships and making new friends, he has to socialise and can't see the world without it, me on the other hand, I can do without it. I also told him my disdain for the world and how it'd be better to have never been born and he just could not see this way of thinking, he loves life too much I guess. But my worldview, why very different to the majority, still doen't amtter, it's just that - a view.

Edited by Sean93, 06 December 2012 - 06:51 PM.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#124    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Joined:06 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:East Coast

  • Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:22 AM

Compassion isn't intelligence but it does come from understanding which is a facet of intelligence. Which is why you need to take it in to consideration. How can you be compassionate if you do not understand what somebody else is going through?
The ideas of the terms are getting looser and looser because the details aren't set in stone. There is no straight definition of intelligence then can encompass the whole. Everything that has to do with how you think, how you feel, and why are all things  play in to intelligence. It's quite complicated.

The more gifted you are the more you can relate something to something else. Which generally encourages more sympathy, compassion, since your understanding tends to be wider. There are always exceptions though.

It's not putting yourself on a pedestal to recognize the difference and similarities in people. What is putting yourself on a pedestal is thinking that you are better. Which isn't happening in this conversation. Which goes back to my first post about talking about yourself and how I said It can come off as egotistical without meaning to.  Like people said before being gifted is more of a curse then a benefit. The whole ignorance is bliss comes to mind in all this.


#125    JGirl

JGirl

    Pajama Goddess

  • Member
  • 9,016 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:British Columbia Canada

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:48 AM

View PostJinxdom, on 07 December 2012 - 04:22 AM, said:

Compassion isn't intelligence but it does come from understanding which is a facet of intelligence. Which is why you need to take it in to consideration. How can you be compassionate if you do not understand what somebody else is going through?
The ideas of the terms are getting looser and looser because the details aren't set in stone. There is no straight definition of intelligence then can encompass the whole. Everything that has to do with how you think, how you feel, and why are all things  play in to intelligence. It's quite complicated.

The more gifted you are the more you can relate something to something else. Which generally encourages more sympathy, compassion, since your understanding tends to be wider. There are always exceptions though.

It's not putting yourself on a pedestal to recognize the difference and similarities in people. What is putting yourself on a pedestal is thinking that you are better. Which isn't happening in this conversation. Which goes back to my first post about talking about yourself and how I said It can come off as egotistical without meaning to.  Like people said before being gifted is more of a curse then a benefit. The whole ignorance is bliss comes to mind in all this.
don't get me wrong - i do understand the isolation that being 'gifted' in certain areas can bring. i'm not insensitive to the feelings that are described with respect to it. i lived it and in some ways i still live it.
the 'pedestal' statement has nothing to do with recognizing difference and similarities in people. most of use do this from a very early age without even realizing it.
i made it in reference to a 'gifted' person who comes off as an 'elitist' person. she is the gifted one and therefore she should know.
that's no more true than it would be for me.
cassea has set herself apart, and i think she enjoys that place to some degree for the superiority of it.
i invite her to come to earth and talk about it with others who share some of those experiences - but without the airs.

Edited by JGirl, 07 December 2012 - 04:52 AM.


#126    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Joined:06 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:East Coast

  • Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

How I said It can come off as egotistical without meaning to. <------  this.


#127    Render

Render

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Joined:23 Nov 2009
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostJGirl, on 07 December 2012 - 04:48 AM, said:

don't get me wrong - i do understand the isolation that being 'gifted' in certain areas can bring. i'm not insensitive to the feelings that are described with respect to it. i lived it and in some ways i still live it.
the 'pedestal' statement has nothing to do with recognizing difference and similarities in people. most of use do this from a very early age without even realizing it.
i made it in reference to a 'gifted' person who comes off as an 'elitist' person. she is the gifted one and therefore she should know.
that's no more true than it would be for me.
cassea has set herself apart, and i think she enjoys that place to some degree for the superiority of it.
i invite her to come to earth and talk about it with others who share some of those experiences - but without the airs.

Well said.


#128    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,380 posts
  • Joined:21 May 2008

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

View PostJGirl, on 06 December 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

compassion is not intelligence, and neither is sophistication btw.
it seems the definition of this word becomes looser and looser on this thread.
cassea,  i do think you are exceptionally intelligent but you really need to jump down from your pedestal and get realistic about how you stack up against the rest of us.

Now that would be a true sign of intelligence.


#129    JGirl

JGirl

    Pajama Goddess

  • Member
  • 9,016 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:British Columbia Canada

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

View PostJinxdom, on 07 December 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

How I said It can come off as egotistical without meaning to. <------  this.
i think this is not the case here.


#130    Cassea

Cassea

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Joined:20 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Female

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

View PostJGirl, on 06 December 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

compassion is not intelligence, and neither is sophistication btw.
it seems the definition of this word becomes looser and looser on this thread.
cassea,  i do think you are exceptionally intelligent but you really need to jump down from your pedestal and get realistic about how you stack up against the rest of us.

What pedestal???


View PostJinxdom, on 07 December 2012 - 04:22 AM, said:

Compassion isn't intelligence but it does come from understanding which is a facet of intelligence. Which is why you need to take it in to consideration. How can you be compassionate if you do not understand what somebody else is going through?
The ideas of the terms are getting looser and looser because the details aren't set in stone. There is no straight definition of intelligence then can encompass the whole. Everything that has to do with how you think, how you feel, and why are all things  play in to intelligence. It's quite complicated.

The more gifted you are the more you can relate something to something else. Which generally encourages more sympathy, compassion, since your understanding tends to be wider. There are always exceptions though.

It's not putting yourself on a pedestal to recognize the difference and similarities in people. What is putting yourself on a pedestal is thinking that you are better. Which isn't happening in this conversation. Which goes back to my first post about talking about yourself and how I said It can come off as egotistical without meaning to.  Like people said before being gifted is more of a curse then a benefit. The whole ignorance is bliss comes to mind in all this.



Exactly.  Brilliantly put.   Being a citizen of the world means you recognize your limitations in ability.  Compassion is a large part of that.  Understanding that you are different doesn't make you "better."   It makes you curious.

This curiosity is often attacked in society.  It is sad to me.  It's sad that people see "curiosity" "honesty" and "confidence" and "compassion" as egotistical.

But it does speak to the OP.  It is so very predictable that after a while people stop participating in life.  Living in a world of blind people who lash out and attack just adds to the depression.  Sadly, it is very very predictable.

This thread is for those of us who understand it.  If you don't feel free not to participate.  Please do not maul those that do.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#131    JGirl

JGirl

    Pajama Goddess

  • Member
  • 9,016 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:British Columbia Canada

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

View PostCassea, on 07 December 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

This thread is for those of us who understand it.  If you don't feel free not to participate.  Please do not maul those that do.
is this directed toward me? this is the very arrogance i refer to!
your experience is not the model by which all others are given merit
and wait,
you are accusing me of  mauling??
playing the victim card is something i would expect from someone with a lot less 'savvy' than you cassea.

i'll have you know i understand a whole lot more about it than you think. i didn't have the luxury of a stable home and loving parents to help me through it either. there were many serious abuses and horrors that i navigated along the way. so please don't speak down to me.

i have been through it, i spent a lot of time in therapy dealing with it - which is no longer necessary, because i learned to live with and around the issues and challenges that being 'gifted' or exceptionally perceptive  present in life among the so called normal.
i see by your posts that you have not learned this and i would suggest perhaps you consider changing therapists

if you want to discuss the specific challenges presented to those who share this trait then discuss them - discuss strategies for overcoming rather than whining about being misunderstood. i am suggesting that yes you should get off your pedestal (that is to say stop separating yourself by measure of how much more exceptional you are and how much more difficult and lonely everything is and poor you because you have so much more insight etc etc)
yeah we all get that. there are those of us on this thread that go through it and have been through it. the fact that we may not agree has nothing to do with whether we understand the topic but whether or not we have the same experience or agree with your perception.


#132    Cassea

Cassea

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Joined:20 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Female

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:44 AM

No it wasn't directed "at you."  It was a general statement.  And your personal life has nothing to do with this conversation.  Not to be rude but I don't understand why so many on this site seem to project and interpret everything as about them.  Then get angry and lash out.  This isn't about you.  It is a conversation.  Can we please stay on topic.  Thank you.


Quote

Definition: Existential depression occurs when one confronts issues of existence such as life, death, disease, and freedom. An individual suffering from existential depression questions the meaning of life and often feels it is meaningless. While some people may experience this kind of depression after some traumatic event, such as the death of a loved one, gifted people may suffer from it spontaneously; that is, there is no apparent triggering event.

Gifted children can experience existential depression, even children as young as five. They may begin to worry about death and also question the meaning of life.


Many people experience existential depression after a trauma.  I know I did after the accident and my brother recently.  But prior to this I would consider the concept of life, the seeming futility of life at a very early age.   Once you have this impression it is hard to turn it off.   It stays.   You will sometimes have to force yourself to ignore it.

http://giftedkids.ab...existential.htm

Edited by Cassea, 08 December 2012 - 01:48 AM.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#133    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

    ☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

  • 14,470 posts
  • Joined:11 Jan 2004
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:I forgot...

  • ☆彡

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:31 AM

View PostCassea, on 08 December 2012 - 01:44 AM, said:

No it wasn't directed "at you."  It was a general statement.  .
That's like saying no offence then proceeding to offend someone

View PostCassea, on 08 December 2012 - 01:44 AM, said:

And your personal life has nothing to do with this conversation.  Not to be rude but I don't understand why so many on this site seem to project and interpret everything as about them.  Then get angry and lash out.  This isn't about you.  It is a conversation.  Can we please stay on topic.  Thank you.
Why is it that you feel only your personal life experience is relevant to this topic? If you wanted a one sided conversation would it not make more sense to post in a blog.

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons, 08 December 2012 - 03:32 AM.

One does not simply walk into Mordor.

#134    JGirl

JGirl

    Pajama Goddess

  • Member
  • 9,016 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:British Columbia Canada

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:44 AM

View PostDaughter of the Nine Moons, on 08 December 2012 - 03:31 AM, said:

That's like saying no offence then proceeding to offend someone


Why is it that you feel only your personal life experience is relevant to this topic? If you wanted a one sided conversation would it not make more sense to post in a blog.
thank you


#135    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Joined:06 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:East Coast

  • Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

The exact problems the plague the gifted are what are happening at the end of the post is. That is the point I am trying to make. To be aware of that is not separating yourself from others. Acknowledging that people are different and assuming people are putting themselves on a pedestal are two different things. This is all just a lack of understanding.

I did the same exact thing posting information from my life experiences. Yet not one thing was said about me. Why is that?

A theory was made in the beginning and now it's been proven at the end.  It happens on more then one level because people are different even though they maybe similar.

It is one thing to speak generally but when you pick somebody out by a name it becomes personal and a line gets crossed.

Edited by Jinxdom, 08 December 2012 - 03:56 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users