Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Source of Horse

questionmark

Europe's horsemeat scandal is the product of our quest to source cheap red meat for the working man. It casts light on the often shadowy equine trade across Europe and how horses have become victims of changing times and the economic crisis.

"Our system is the worst of all, because it brings us to this - instead of the public sale of healthy horses, under supervised control and by registered butchers, we have the furtive sale of 'suspect flesh' in attics, in cellars, by the firstcomer, by smugglers, by prostitutes, by disreputable men with no profession." -- Isidore Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire, 1856.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/british-author-susanna-forrest-on-the-horsemeat-scandal-in-europe-a-884081.html

Edited by Still Waters
Fixed broken source link & shortened amount of copied text.
  • Like 1

I have found everyones reaction to this hilerious.

If soemone can eat cow, then why not horse? What is the difference really?! lol It's hypocritical to say "oh i'll eat cow, but not horse".. lol

I understand the whole part about not knowing what is really in our food, but if you think that horse is the worst thing that is in your food, then that is just utterly hilerious.

Then I also understand the part about the horses could have had certian medicines which aren't good for human conumption... but again there is far worse things in processed food than that.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 2

You know... Horse meat is a valuable source of protein, and I have no objections to eating it - as long as it is described correctly, subject to the same "Passport Controls" that beef is subjected to (Veterinary Trail that includes all injections).

I cant help thinking that lots of people have actually enjoyed the taste of the "Horse Lasagne", and "Gee Gee Burgers" and may even find that using real beef is not to their liking at all :yes:

Sorry Coffey, just spotted that you had already made many of the same comments whilst I was writing them...

Edited by keithisco

The difference is over the centuries we've been conditioned to eat cow, Beef, and the animal over that time as gone through selective breeding by man for that purpose of producing meat.

Horse as been mainly bred or selective breeding for muscle and power. although in some countries its been eaten, mainly in europe, Horse to us Brits is a food that is associated with poverty and hard times.

personally i dont like the idea of eating horse, it just doesn't feel right, you look at a cow and easily think and accept - milk, meat, you look at a horse and think, strength, power. racing, majestic.

• Like 1

If soemone can eat cow, then why not horse? What is the difference really?! lol It's hypocritical to say "oh i'll eat cow, but not horse".. lol

I understand the whole part about not knowing what is really in our food, but if you think that horse is the worst thing that is in your food, then that is just utterly hilerious.

Then I also understand the part about the horses could have had certian medicines which aren't good for human conumption... but again there is far worse things in processed food than that.

Cos you're eating horse that's labelled as beef etc. i.e. Conned.

Would you be chuffed at buying a silver bracelet that was advertised as gold?

Edited by Eldorado

The source of Horse in Britain is the same as everywhere..Its when a Mare and a Stud get together and has a foal. That foal will grow up to be either a Mare or a Stud...We call them Horses. Not so crypto afterall was it.

Cos you're eating horse that's labelled as beef etc. i.e. Conned.

Would you be chuffed at buying a silver bracelet that was advertised as gold?

I said I get that bit, but i find it funny that it contains far worse things than horse meat. Yet nobody minds that stuff. things that cause cancer etc.

Coffey, as Eald said in another thread, it's not the actual meat that is the problem. It's the fact that the meat isn't regulated, and that horses are often given chemicals that are harmful and deadly to humans. It's also the fact that, if there is a problem with the meat, there is no way to properly trace where the problem has come from. All food must be traceable.

It's like cases of food poisoning that originate from imported African meats you sometimes find in markets. To give just one example.

There are very important reasons why our food production is so heavily regulated.

• Like 2

Coffey, as Eald said in another thread, it's not the actual meat that is the problem. It's the fact that the meat isn't regulated, and that horses are often given chemicals that are harmful and deadly to humans. It's also the fact that, if there is a problem with the meat, there is no way to properly trace where the problem has come from. All food must be traceable.

It's like cases of food poisoning that originate from imported African meats you sometimes find in markets. To give just one example.

There are very important reasons why our food production is so heavily regulated.

Yeah I know that, but as I said ther eis worse things in prossesed food and nobody complains about those... And that stuff isn't even hidden. lol

• Like 2

I would try horse if I was in France, or wherever, that was serving it on the menu.

(I can't have eaten horse that many times, I very rarely eat beef at all so unless they're hiding horsemeat in chicken...)

However, quite a few people I have expressed this opinion to have been like "Woah really? I just couldn't, it's like... a horse!"

Also, own brand value burgers are probably full of gristle and other unidentifable bits. What does it matter if the gristle and unidentifable bits come from a horse and not a cow?

• Like 1

Horse eaters develop peculiar characteristics. I have been eating horse, unknowingly, possibly for some time. I am now feeling a yearning to put nappies on animals, wear strings of onions round my neck, wear a beret and play the accordion.

In some parts of the world, such as this one, there is a serious reticence to eating horses, although anyone will eat them if needs must. It has nothing at all to do with health, taste, appearance, smell and squeamishness. Everyone knows it is a ripoff because of the price differences. If you want to hang the perpetrators, you can be my guest, for one. But this isn't it, either.

We do not eat horses by choice because we don't. Everybody else are not entitled to an explanation, neither can they pose as some kind of diabolical educators.

Since time immemorial We have put horses out to grass when they have done. We respect them and defer to their service. Because it is how it has always been, they are unsuitable for unnecessary slaughter.

When this scandal is resolved, you will have a choice, presumably, to choose your meat. My choice is to follow our own ancients in this issue.

If I have anything to do with it, horse slaughter will be outlawed in this neck of the woods. We do not have to eat horses, and I see no reason why I should witness it. We do not even slaughter wild animals around here, without good reason and general consent.

Ok, if you want to test what is alright, and what isn't. Go to Iran and promote the eating of lovely, Oak smoked bacon!!! Regards.

Edited by Santy
  • Like 1

Surely, if you eat beef, you can eat horsemeat.

In my opinion, the British hypocrisy surrounding meat-eating goes right back to the Norman Conquest of 1066.

After the Norman French had conquered England, the English peasants raised the animals, while the French lords feasted on the meat. The English raised cows, pigs, sheep, and deer (the English name for the animal), while the Normans ate bœuf, porc, mouton, and venaison (the French name for the animal). This gave rise to the different words we now have for the animal and the meat, and a 'disconnect' between the two.

For this reason, I believe that many people who would never eat a Horse Burger would be quite happy to eat Cheval Steaks if they were labeled as such.

Edit: Minor alteration for clarity.

Edited by acute alan

Oh! So things were different before 1066. That's a relief. Thought it was me. The similar arguments I hear could be applied to rats. Eventually, you might find culture. But don't hold your breath. It took us ages to get you off mutton.

Lol, regards.

Eating Horse meat is not the problem, but the Consumer should know what they are eating and that it is coming from a source that is fit for human consumption.

• Like 1

People are outraged by it because the food companies are frauding the public. and also because the horses are getting killed horribly and there's bute in them.

I don't get how so many people don't seem to be bothered what happens if there's dog meat, or guinea pig meat found one day.

People are outraged by it because the food companies are frauding the public. and also because the horses are getting killed horribly and there's bute in them.

I don't get how so many people don't seem to be bothered what happens if there's dog meat, or guinea pig meat found one day.

People should be outraged at the far worse things put in our food than that. lol That is my point.

I agree. Nothing wrong with horse. It's incredibly good for you. In fact, now that I think about it, I may even nip to the butchers later to see if he sells some. I'd definitely give it a try.

My brother's going to North Korea on holiday later this year (yes, North Korea, not South Korea). I'm trying to persuade him to try dog meat.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

How do you know how "horribly" the horses are killed?

And what's the problem with eating horse meat, dog meat or guinea pig? Roasted guinea pig is a delicacy in South America.

Yes? Well I'm keeping my tortoises indoors. Just in case you think they are pies with a hard crust.

Mind you, they say the eggs are ok to eat. Cannot say I've bothered. You need to collect a lot for an omelette. .

Edited by Santy
  • Like 1

I agree. Nothing wrong with horse. It's incredibly good for you. In fact, now that I think about it, I may even nip to the butchers later to see if he sells some. I'd definitely give it a try.

My brother's going to North Korea on holiday later this year (yes, North Korea, not South Korea). I'm trying to persuade him to try dog meat.

Well here's the funny thing. I'm vegetarian... lol But not because I dislike meat, I don't agree with how the naimals are treated during farming and slaughter. If I still ate meat, I'd eat horse or nay other animal. I find it hypocritical to pick and choose the animals you want to eat morally. lol

and also because the horses are getting killed horribly

Forgot to reply to that bit, have you seen how pigs, sheep and cows are killed?

Cause if you think they are not killed horribly then I don't even want to know how they kill horses. :no:

Edited by Coffey

Horse meat comes from Horse's not cows

Dang, who would have thought?? :rolleyes::P

As long the dont serve up horse's ass I'm ok with it.

I'm not sure they would lead horses by the bridle?

First we have the report that says meat will be a luxury product soon, then the EU out laws using the whole of the animal carcass. A cheap alternative is found, ie horse meat and now that is being taken away.

I hope the UK is prepared for very high food prices, if they don't want to become vegetarian then cheap horse meat could have been the answer.

First we have the report that says meat will be a luxury product soon, then the EU out laws using the whole of the animal carcass. A cheap alternative is found, ie horse meat and now that is being taken away.

I hope the UK is prepared for very high food prices, if they don't want to become vegetarian then cheap horse meat could have been the answer.

That in itself is ridiculous,because the waste parts of the animal carcass will go into animal feed.